“Stayed here over the New Year's holiday”

OHANA Waikiki East Hotel
Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel had the cheapest rates for the New Year's holiday. It is a basic hotel, not so fancy like the Moana or others directly on the beach, but it was comfortable. Check-in was quick and there's a lot of shops and amenities on site, like a barber, swim shop, souvenir shop, coffee, Round table pizza (great specials for happy hour) ...
Stayed on the 3rd floor and was able to look out over the busy streets. This was a non-smoking hotel but I smoked outside by the railings, saw other guests doing this too. No one really enforced it, as long as you had your lanai door closed.
The shower stall was super-really-small! Yikes! The smallest ever, but who cares, it gave good water pressure. Otherwise my room was super roomy, with two double beds, lounge chair, desk chairs and a decent size refrigerator! The only thing missing was a microwave, but with so many food options within walking distance, it was not needed. Free WIFI in the room was spotty, but otherwise worked well when needed. TV was decent, spent most of the day out and about, at the beach and sightseeing.
Neighbors were a bit noisy but I travel with earplugs and this was not an issue at all. The beds were decent, AC worked fine.
Complimentary computers in the lobby to print out our boarding passes. The only annoying thing was the elevators, you have to stick your room key in and quickly press the buttons or else you'll ride the elevators to the other floors. I don't like housekeeping to come to my room during my stay, took out my own trash, gave them tips when I needed extra towels, toilet paper and tissues. From that day on, whenever they saw me, they asked if I needed anything else. I politely told them no, but they were always very accommodating to me.
Overall, a great value in expensive Waikiki and it can be had if you book in advance.

3  Thank LBConcierge
OHANAEastManager, Manager at OHANA Waikiki East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Aloha Rahrachel,

Mahalo for your great review on tripadvisor it is greatly appreicated. Looks like you had an enjoyable vacation and yes the hotel is non-smoking and we do hope our guest will continue to honor our non-smoking policy.

Thank you for acknowledging our housekeepers and their ability to accomodate you and your needs. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Island Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,931)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Took my daughter to celebrate my birthday, her 18th birthday and Christmas together and wanted to stay at a conveniently located, reasonably priced place in Waikiki. Can highly recommend the Ohana East as a great place to stay. Two double beds, big screen TV and clean bathroom was provided upon arrival. All front desk staff helpful and friendly as soon as you arrive to you leave. Central for all the tour pick ups that you may go on. Close to the beach and hub of activity in Waikiki. Daughter had a great fortnight celebrating milestones and enjoying the wonderful place of Hawaii.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank hitmanharris1966
OHANAEastManager, Guest Relations Manager at OHANA Waikiki East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Aloha Hitmanharris1966,

What a great way to spend your time in Hawaii celebrating your daughters 18th birthday and Christmas together. Glad you both enjoyed yourselves. Mahalo for recommending the OHANA Waikiki East as a great place to stay and for your 4star ratingon tripadvisor it is much appreciated.

Thank you for acknowleding our staff as helpful and friendly from beginning to end of your stay! We hope to welcome you and your daughter back in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Great place to stay.close to the beach lots of places to eat, close to transport.rooms are large and well appointed, however the tea and coffee facilities are not the best and only paper cups are supplied

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ian B

Aloha Ian B from Australia,

Mahalo for a great 5star rating on tripadvisor it is great appreciated. Glad you found the hotel to be a great place to stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Since it is the holidays and I didn't want to be spending unnecessary amounts of money on something that seemed somewhat frivolous, I asked a girlfriend of mine for some hotels that were reasonable.

She told me to check out the Internet (duh! what a concept!) for affordable hotel rooms for us to stay overnight...so I did!

Ohana Waikiki East popped up online as an affordable choice so I called reservations and had a really awesome customer service rep who helped me out. He informed me that they couldn't guarantee the type of beds (I requested two double beds), however that he could put a really hard request in for it and it would be dependent on what was available during check in.

So flash forward to check in. I called the hotel about 2 hours in advance to confirm my reservation was made and the person who answered the phone was super nice. She said yes. I also asked her where parking was and she gave me details and parking price.

My girlfriend and I checked in and the woman at the counter (I am kicking myself that I didn't get her name!) and another fellow (also kicking myself on not getting HIS name!), were AWESOME! They were good fun, friendly, nice, accommodating, informative, everything you want to experience when checking into a hotel room.

We talked stories and they even upgraded our rooms, how cool is that?!

We had a view of the ocean and some city life, perfect! The room was spacious with a kitchenette and two double beds! We were both happy campers.

The room also had 2 televisions, a couch and pretty much everything you would want from a hotel room.

The location of the hotel was also perfect. Right in line with taxi cabs, walking distance to cool nightclubs and restaurants and a parking lot that was easy to get in and out of.

We were both extremely impressed, pleased and overall completely satisfied with everything.

I am SO glad that we stayed here and if I ever do a staycation or consider another 'girls night on the town' again, I will definitely book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Penthouse was excellent, ample in size, 2 televisions, kitchenette and pull-out couch
3  Thank Jodys808
OHANAEastManager, Manager at OHANA Waikiki East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Mahalo Josys808 for your 5star tripadvisor review it is greatly appreciated!

Glad to hear your girls staycation was great and you were both happy campers. let us know when you plan on returning to the OHANA Waikiki East as we would love to welcome you back once again.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

This was my fourth time staying at the Ohana East hotel last week and once again it was fantastic, All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Tracy at the front desk was kind and always had a smile of her face. Will at the Bell Desk was also very friendly and accommadating. I will continue to stay at the Ohana East Hotel everytime i go to Hawaii. Thank-you to all the Staff for making my trip such an amazing one. Keep up the Great work you all do.

3  Thank colkel62

Aloha Colkel62,

Thank you for your 5star Tripadvisor review it is greatly appreciated! Glad to see the staff was once again friendly and helpful and you had a fantastic stay. We will definetly let Tracy and Will know of your great comments towards them as well. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We visited hawaii on the second leg of our honeymoon and it was incredible! The staff at the ohana east was so friendly and welcoming and really love the island! The hotel was immaculate at all times and so close to the beach. Oahu is such a fun island me Waikiki is busy and fun with some great places to eat and drink!

Highly recommend top he tour of the north shore - it's was incredible and you will see places that you won't if you drive round yourself!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Semisonic1985

Aloha Semisonic,

Thank you for the 5star review on Tripadvisor and congratulations on your perfect honeymoon glad we were a part of your special celebration. Glad you found the hotel immaculate. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend and its not a 5star resort but it has a GREAT location, rooms a little outdated and free wifi wasnt the greatest but i would def stay there again for the price. Walking didtance to all Waikiki beach and shopping and dining. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!will recommend

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Helipad602
OHANAEastManager, Guest Relations Manager at OHANA Waikiki East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Aloha Helipad602,

Thank you for your 4star rating of your stay here at the OHANA Waikiki East hotel it is greatly appreciated. We are in the process of renovating the guest rooms so hoping you will enjoy your stay here once again in the near future.