2,063 results
All reviewsthe pink trolleygreat locationfree rideskitchenette roomexpress elevatorfood pantrystreet levelcoin laundryroom cardacross the streetsmall balconythe international market placebell deskround table pizzashort walk to the beachthe penthousea city view room
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Decided to give an Outrigger hotel another try even though my last three experiences were poor. Main concerns, at the Ala Moana Hotel and Ohana East: though I called before each visit, directly to the hotels to make certain I would have a room with a minimum of two double beds, and was assured I would, upon arrival, in order to get two beds, I was made to upgrade, not one category but two. Yes, I had the name of the person who assured me and was told, "she should not have told you that." Ok, one time I can understand but not three and now four times.

Add to this, customer service at both hotels was poor at best. The front desk person treated me like I was the 900th person she had helped. I live in Hawaii. I was born in Hawaii. I'm not passing through. I also work in the hotel industry on a neighbor island. I am polite, smiling and friendly. I know what it is like to be in customer service. I have never and did not this time, raise my voice or make a scene.

This time at the Ohana East, after being made to upgrade to get two beds, to the floor below the penthouse, we were basically written off by the receptionist. Getting rid of us was her main goal. I mentioned this and past matters to several travel specialist friends of mine who contacted their sources and they contacted the General Manager. Did I hear from him or a representative? No. My parking fee was cut in half and when I had to return for an overnight stay (same trip but had to go to different side of the island for a few days), I was given the penthouse which was exactly like the room I was made to upgrade to. But this time, the upgrade charge was waived. Goodbye, good riddance. No reaching out, no apologizing for the behavior of the person who first checked is in, no apology for he fact I keep getting made to upgrade.

I asked my travel specialist friends to be honest. Was I expecting too much? Was I being petty? Because I work for a luxury hotel that excels in service should I lower my expectations? Everyone of them answered a resounding NO and so did all of their contacts who contacted the GM.

Too bad because overall, the Ohana East is located well as is the Ala Moana. But for now, Outriggers are off my list.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Grapejuice49
FUNin96815, Guest Relations Manager at OHANA Waikiki East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2016

OHANA® Hotels by Outrigger is our Mid-tier, Off-Beach Leisure Brand where guests will find local hospitality and convenience in paradise.

Aloha Mai. Please like us on face book (Ohana Waikiki East) where you will find us interacting with our past, present and future guests. Sharing our story, our culture and our place. Mahalo for engaging.

Noted: photos by “TripAdvisor Travel Expert” over four years old. All beds replaced in 2014. No bedspreads exist in any rooms. All TV’s are 42” flat screen. Apologies for any misrepresentation crated by their images.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great central location in Waikiki. Easy walk to most Waikiki attractions like the beach, aquarium, shopping, etc. there's also a bus stop right by the hotel. Rooms are small but clean and efficient (and have a mini-fridge for restaurant leftovers!).
If you're looking for 5 star luxury, look elsewhere. If you want a clean, affordable 3 star hotel this is a great pick

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Jason S
Reviewed July 17, 2012

ohana east is in a great location, 2 min walk to the beach and across the road from all the shops etc. Hotels is clean, service is great but watch out for 20 dollar parking fee per day! Furniture needs renovation ASAP

Swimming pool is also small and not very attractive as well as gym.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mohamed A
Reviewed July 15, 2012

To be fair, I knew that I would be in an urban area, when I booked this hotel, so I can't really complain about the location. The hookers come out around 3:30-4:00 PM, which was interesting, but I would have preferred not to have encountered them. Then again, it's good to interact with other cultures. Yes, I am an American, but I am a country girl; I prefered hiking the Appalachian Trail to the streets of Waikiki and Honolulu, so you really can't go by what I think, unless of course you're the outdoorsey type. Anyway, I don't have any complaints about the hotel itself. It's a bit on the older side, but the location is good in terms of distance to shopping, beaches and restaurants. I went to the Islands with my friend, Fran, and we had a great time. Where you stay is really not as important as the company you keep. If you enjoy the company, the rest is cake. The hotel has a restaurant downstairs--street level. We ate there one night and I recall that it was quite good. I've stayed in $300/night hotels in Hawaii that I would only give 4 stars, so this one getting 3 stars is not bad. If you like being near concrete, you'll love it. If you prefer trees, grass, hills, and a more-or-less peopless landscape, you'll probably give it three stars as well. However, and here is the good part, the hotel is a great place from which to go to Germaine's Luau. Germaine's Luau is not to be missed. If you visit Oahu and miss Germaine's Luau, you have missed the essence of what makes Hawaii exotic.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank psycho_maven
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is in the perfect location, lots of restaurants close with in walking distance, we had a room on the 17th floor with a view of the ocean and the mountains....that was great!! Hotel staff for the most part were very friendly! The rooms were clean can not complain about that! The rooms are not fancy or anything upscale, kind of older, beds were not the most comfortable but not horrible....but if you are looking for a good spot to stay with everything so close by, this is the place to stay! They do give you towels to use to go to the beach and to the pool which was great at no cost, you also get to ride the pink trolley line for free as long as you show them your room card, and also you get a coupon book! There is a small refrigerator, coffee maker, and they do give you free coffee and tea bags! Nice little coffee spot downstairs as well!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family