“Gross”

OHANA Waikiki East Hotel
Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 19, 2012

In comparison to many other hotels in this area this hotel is in need of a refresh. The beds are hard as rocks. If you need a good nights sleep this is not the place to do it. The few things this hotel has going for it is: price, location, and friendly staff. Trust me. Spend a little extra on your hotel and you will be so much happier. Oh! And the pool is broken for a couple of months.

Room Tip: The beds a the cheapest mattresses ever! Only Fred Flintstone could sleep on these rocks!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,933)

Reviewed June 16, 2012

The Ohana East Hotel, is so central to everything, its the perfect hotel to experience Waikiki. The room had free wifi, thought this wasnt always a strong signal. The gym was a good size, swimming pool was good, but the spa was out of order. Cant have it all I suppose. The Staff are so friendly.

Room Tip: If you are lucky like I was, a high floor, gives great views out to the ocean. Perfect with the kit...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raangi
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is our 4th stay and yet again wonderfull room and service. The staff could not do moore for us. Just like coming home. Perfect hotel and a good price with perfect location.
Looking forward to coming back next year and seeing Brian, Tracy Christine and the rest of the team.
Mahalo

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeterB56
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We live on the islands and it is great to be able to take the kids to a hotel that has a reasonable price as well as a great team of employees. Everyone was so friendly and helpful . When you just need a place to shower and sleep this is a great place to stay. Whether you are visiting or living here on the island, you are not in your room more then half the time but are exploring the different sites and scenery that hawaii has to offer. Thanks Ohana East hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Overall, this hotel was in a fairly good location..not too far to the beach, and handy for the Food Pantry supermarket. It was noisy at night sometimes..but not awful, except for when the new high school grads went by screaming..but that was an anomaly, so usually would not be a problem. It might be noisier on lower floors. The room was okay mostly, although I could feel the springs in the mattress sometimes.
We did not eat in any of the building restaurants. We never saw the pool as we went to the beach. The employees seemed reasonably friendly.
The second day I found (in the middle of the day) a bug crawling. I put it into a baggie and showed the housekeeper, who called another woman (housekeeping supervisor perhaps). She took the bug and they said they would change all the bedding. Thus, I assumed it was a bedbug. I saw no more bugs. But the day we checked out..I woke up with red bumps on my finger..and only after we checked out did my husband mention the red bumps and blotches around my neck. My husband was scratching madly for a week. I looked up "bed bug bites" on the internet, and the pictures indeed matched the red bumps and blotches I had. I did send a note two days later, but got no response. I sent another message when we returned home. I have received nothing from the hotel concerning this issue. I had arrived with a brand new suitcase (which I kept closed at the hotel fortunately). We moved on to two more hotels, and had no more problem. I just hope I did not bring any home or transfer any to the other hotels. I have not seen any other bugs yet.
The red blotches were particularly unattractive, especially when wearing beach wear which hides nothing. We had already paid our bill so perhaps they do not respond when they have already been paid. I let them know, as I am guessing the next unsuspecting guest will have this problem. I know bedbugs are a problem many places. I figured if we moved rooms, we would have the same problem in another..but who knows? The housekeeper certainly did not seem surprised. They said they had not been having problems, but then I guess that might be the stock answer. There are certainly bugs at least in that room. Perhaps not a huge number yet, as we were not bitten the first three nights.
So I didn't have any other big complaints, but the lack of follow-up on a rather serious issue is concerning. It makes me think this is routine for them. Watch out for bugs.

Room Tip: Lower floors might be noisy?
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank readytogoJapan
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The hotel is a great stay if your on a budget. The room was clean and had a small balcony. Staff was always friendly and helpful. No tub just a shower and the room is a bit small. It doesn't matter though, who stays in their room in Hawaii anyway?

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel two times in the past, and it was fine. However on a stay in November, didn't have a great experience so won't be staying there again. Will pay more and stay somewhere else. Had to move rooms due to a bunch of people partying until after 2am, despite attempts from security to quiet them. Very thin walls, so if you are a light sleeper, this is not a great choice. The room they moved us to was better, but had an adjoining door to the room next door and you could hear the people next door as if they were in your room with you. My husband and I try to visit Waikiki on the cheap, which is why we have chosen this hotel a number of times, but will pay more next time and stay somewhere nicer. Location is perfect, though. Very close to the beach.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple