“Friendly Great Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Friendly Great Hotel”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I would have given this hotel 5 stars if it has been on the beach! Although redecorated 2 years ago, the rooms look like they were redone last week. The decor is very nice and the rooms are beautiful. The room we had, an upgraded queen room (1408), was very large with the bed area separated from the wrap around sofa area by a narrow divider. The carpet looked brand new, the bed linens were crisp and white, and the bath towels were large and thick. The bath featured a very large, thick glass walk-in shower with the shower/toilet room separated by a door from the very pretty sink area. The only negative was that the sink area opened into the bedroom (no door) and one light switch turned on the sink area and shower/toilet area lights. So, if anyone turned on the light switch to use the toilet during the night, the bedroom lighted up. A large safe in the closet was appreciated. The hotel staff from curb to reception to housekeeping was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included. It was probably the best complementary breakfast I've had in a hotel with delicious fresh squeezed orange juice and numerous hot and cold breakfast items all well cooked and presented, and served in a beautiful setting on the open air swim pool deck of the hotel. The free Wi-Fi in our room was fast, and computers were available (free) in the lobby for printing boarding passes.

3 Thank TravelTalk4You
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
TravelTalk4You- Mahalo for the wonderful feedback! We enjoyed reading how much you appreciated our well-appointed accommodations, contemporary decor and crisp linens. It is very flattering to read that you found our breakfast to be the best you've ever had when staying at a hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Wytheville, Virginia
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband & I were booked here as part of a large group of athletes & family members returning from an international track meet in Australia, and we stayed two nights. Our room on floor 14 of 18 was very spacious and comfortable, but I am not attaching a picture because it overlooked the side alley, which was very noisy most of the time. Since this was a layover stay, however, it was adequate for our purposes.

Waikiki Beach is a 2 or 3-block walk, which wasn't too bad. The room was not serviced by the housekeeping staff during our one full day there, so we had to get creative with drying our towels for reuse.

Since this stay was part of a larger trip, and I didn't receive an itemized breakdown of everything, I cannot comment upon the value of this hotel, though I do know that one of the other members of our group chose to extend her stay, and they charged her only $60 for the extra night. I have no idea how this compares to the regular rack rate.

The one oddity of the room is that the entry area and bathroom/vanity lights are all controlled by a master rocker switch next to the front door -- the up position on the switch is labeled "Aloha." It took a few minutes to figure out to set that switch to "Aloha" before any of the other lights would come on!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
gyanhumara- Mahalo for taking the time to share your review with us. We regret to hear if your guest room was not serviced during your stay, and apologize for the inconvenience. Next time you happen to visit Waikiki, we hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations!
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I wouldn't go back to this hotel for the price we paid. My family was unimpressed with their customer services. One of the worst things happened at this hotel was that at the free breakfast, an employee who was in charge of clearing the tables, kept spraying pigeons using his cleaning spray bottle 6-8 feet away. He kept missing the pigeons but managed to spray the mist of cleaning liquid all over the dining space. It was one of the most terrible dining experience we had at any hotels.
Because we are family of four, we needed one more set of shampoo and conditioner tubes, I requested them. Our request was never heard.
Valet personals were kind but overwhelmed time to time. It was slow. One time, bunch of guests and we had to wait about 30-40 min to get our cars.
We are from Hawaii and often have to visit Oahu. There are better valued hotels with better customer services out there. I wouldn't recommended it.

1 Thank Hawaiikamaaina140
Hawaiikamaaina140- Mahalo for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We do our best to prevent the pigeons from infiltrating the dining space, and can assure you this was an unintentional action on our part. It is also unacceptable to come that close to a dining guest with a spray bottle, and we will be sure to address this internally. Also, it is not our standard to not follow up on a guest request for extra amenities and apologize for not following through. We apologize for the challenges you experienced during your recent stay, and can assure you this experience is a rare one – one that I hope you will allow us to improve upon, provided you choose to give us another chance in the near future.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My family of four (2 adults and 2 small kids aged 5 and 9) stayed at the Hyatt Place July 8-15th. Upon arriving, we unloaded the taxi with 3 big luggages and 3 small ones, no one came to offer any help, which is fine , we managed. Check in was quick. Stayed on the 16th floor. Got the room we wanted, corner ocean view. Room was modern, spacious, clean. Beds and pillows were comfy, almost too soft at times. Free breakfast with limited options however, enough options for each of us to choose from, incl hot items which changes daily. Free wifi which was pretty good, not slow at all. Small gym but decent. The hotel was 2 blocks from Waikiki Beach, 5 minute walk. The Honolulu Zoo is also a short 7 minute walk. Elevators were extremely slow at times, you can end up waiting 5-10 mins for one. Pool was tiny, however, the kids liked it and only used once or twice. Mostly we went to the beach. Housekeeping was friendly and did a good job. On Fridays, they also had a free lei making in the lobby/gallery and my daughter and I absolutely loved it! Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for value and a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean view
4 Thank Trinnerrr
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
AnneEdmonton- Mahalo for taking the time to recap your recent experience at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach! We enjoyed reading how much you and your daughter enjoyed the lei making class at the hotel... this is a great activity for both adults and kids staying with us. We regret if you did not receive any assistance with luggage upon arrival, and will be sure to follow up on this internally. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you and the family back again soon!
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Firstly, I understand that when check in time says three that I shouldn't expect to check in any earlier - however I had repeatedly made myself known to reception and was waiting in the lobby with a small child so was surprised when finally, at three o'clock, the very unfriendly, Lynne, told me that since I was the last to check in for my room type which had been oversold she was going to downgrade me and give me the difference in money back. I'm sorry, last to check in? I'd been there since 9am! She didn't even ask! Of course I told Lynne that downgrading me would not do - I come from a city, I came to Hawaii to get an ocean view, not city view, which is what I had booked and paid for months ago. She was not friendly or helpful but appeared to downgrade the last poor people who had not checked in. The room was spacious and nice. Good view - worth arguing for. Pool is a disaster, no shade and in a total wind tunnel. Didn't even bother to venture to breakfast there. Housekeeping didn't vacuum once, sometimes didn't even appear until the late afternoon. Usually did a poor job, no clean glasses etc. Waiting on the lifts was a complete joke, sometimes it'd be 15 minutes! Who's got that kinda time? Waiting for a drink at the bar in the lobby was just as bad - doesn't matter if you want a wine or a cup of tea, they'll pretend not to see you but are the thirstiest on the island for a tip. The hotel is really quite a walk from the main strip. Wouldn't recommend it.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Annas2561778
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Aloha Annas2561778- We regret that your recent stay left such a negative opinion of our accommodations and service efforts. While we were happy to hear that you did enjoy our spacious guest room, we see there were many things that prevented you from having a positive experience with us. Rest assured, this is not the level of service that our loyal guests have come to expect from our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the long wait you experienced at check in and any inconvenience you experienced. We hope you will be so kind to give us another try so we can show you the level of service and hospitality we have built our strong reputation on for the last three years.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The week in July 2014 that I arrived for business, all of the major hotels were either fully booked or very high priced. This was the first Hyatt Place that I have visited. I booked a standard room and received a mountain view (14th floor) in the east tower. The room was clean with a king sized bed and adequately sized. It had a stand-up shower (no tub) which worked fine for me. The internet was good but the balcony was small. The breakfast was good but these is a feeding frenzy when it opens at 630 AM. Parking is a problem (hard to get to, small slots, and fills up) at this hotel. The location is less than two blocks from the beach where restaurants and shops are. This hotels supported a few tours and a sports convention - this can effect room in the lobby, hotel access (bus parking) and breakfast dining space.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mason883
Aloha Mason883- Mahalo for taking the time to acknowledge our comfortable accommodations and convenient location. We understand that our a.m. Kitchen Skillet is a popular feature for guests and our team does everything in their power to best manage the flow of food, guest traffic and turnover of tables. There are also in-room trays available for guests to transport their food back to their guest room. Guests are encouraged to take advantage of our valet service if the self-parking area is full.
dnpinva
Reviewed July 19, 2014

If the major resorts are booked up (or even if they are not), the Hyatt Place is a good hotel stay close to the beach but without many of the resort-type amenities. The lobby is very attractive and clean. The hallways are pleasant and smell fresh. The rooms are more than adequate with very large TVs, comfortable beds, nice bathrooms, and a luxurious shower. The room appears trendy and modern. The staff was always incredibly helpful and friendly. The gym is small and limited. The pool area is small. The complimentary breakfast was good but limited. I'd stay here again and recommend the hotel to others. The rooms were clean, but the shower could have used an extra scrubbing. Valet parking staff was very courteous, professional, and speedy. The hotel could have used an extra staff member or two for the valet service during the busy hours.

Room Tip: Higher floors eliminate street noise. I was initially on the second floor and could hear cars and tr...
Green Features: Excellent. I really liked the hotel's emphasis on environmentally-friendly practices. But I would have liked a slightly stronger water stream in the bathroom (faucet and shower).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank dnpinva
dnpinva- Mahalo for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed our on-site amenities, friendly service, and comfortable accommodations. Thank you for recommending our hotel to fellow travel shoppers out there, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.