“Nice hotel, some issues” 4 of 5 stars

Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
krat123
“Nice hotel, some issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We arrived on 4/18 and will depart 4/25, so we are here now. Nice hotel, not too far from the beach. Staff is very friendly and accomodating. Room is small, but I guess that is expected, real estate is precious here. My biggest complaint is the balcony, it is so small, you cannot turn your chair and face the ocean. Today I noticed every other floor has a larger balcony, I got the small. Wish this would have been explained at check in. My second complaint is the ocean view I paid extra for. Yes, there is an ocean view, but they do not tell you the view is partially blocked by the two hotels in front of you. Not my idea of a true ocean view I paid extra for. Breakfast is included which is nice. Would I recommend the Hyatt Place, yes, but I would argue the two negative points I listed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the large balcony and barter for a discount for ocean view since the view is par...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank krat123
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Aloha krat123,
Mahalo for your review. It disappoints us to learn if the ocean view and balcony layout failed to exceed expectations during your stay. If given another opportunity, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back again for a much improved experience.
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had booked a basic room so view was towards the mountain.Room was small but we had everything we needed.Hotel was located about 200 meters from the beach. Breakfast was included and there was enough to choose from.It was very crouwded at breakfast time.There is a very small pool but we never used it.Hotel is very well located , clean and friendly staff.Personnaly i would not pay for a room with a view because the hotel is located between other high rise buildings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for fifteen nights. Our first room was very big but on the road side, which was very noisy, we asked to be moved to face the beach and with the wall on the road side it was a lot quieter. The staff are very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was good with a variety to suit varied tastes, the pigeons thought so as well, so don't leave your breakfast unattended.lol. There is a tray in your room so you can get your breakfast and take it back to your room and eat. Location is exellent, a block from the beach, trolley stop on one corner and bus stop on the other, if you book a tour chances are the pick up is from the Marriott which is across the road or the Aston Waikiki which is to the left on the next block. The only downside is the lifts are terribly slow and the firestairs are metal not concrete so people using the stairs can be quite noisy. Our second week was spring break so the kids running from floor to floor up and down the stairs was annoying.
Free wi fi was a bonus and taking my ipad was great and cheap way to stay in touch with home. The beds are soooooo comfortable.. We will defintely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Aloha catchfab,
Mahalo for your review and choosing to stay with us for 15 nights! It pleases us to learn that you were able to change guest rooms during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this location for 5 days 4 nights. We got this hotel for a great price through priceline. First time we arrived, we were able to check in a little early but to our surprise the room we were given had a weird musty smell to it. I noticed a HUGE blood stain on the carpet next to the bathroom and we immediately went down to the front desk to request another room. I'm not sure WHY there was blood on the carpet but there was no way I was going to stay in a room that smelled and was tainted. The front desk apologized (and I knew she was embarrassed about this) and gave us a new room. Throughout our stay, I noticed small little bugs in the bathroom that were crawling around. My boyfriend said "it's probably the island life." I'm not sure if it really is normal or not, but for me it was unacceptable. Luckily, we were leaving in 2 days so I did not make a big deal out of it.

Daily breakfast was good. It is the same stuff over and over but hey it's FREE! They do change up the breakfast sandwiches everyday though.

Parking can be expensive, but we parked across the street for $12 a day which is a STEAL!

You can borrow free beach towels from the hotel so save some space and don't pack your own.

Location is the best thing about this hotel. Right next to Waikiki strip and you can have access to everything!

Staff is very friendly and helpful :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Aloha NanNanSF,
Mahalo for your review. We wanted to take a moment and apologize again for the inconvenience that occurred during your stay. We take pride in all areas of service, especially cleanliness. We always receive high praise regarding the appearance and quality of our guest rooms and bedding materials. Also, we conduct preventative maintenance programs involving general cleaning by our housekeeping department to each and every guest room on a consistent basis. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This winter, I spent two weeks at this property. As a frequent Honolulu visitor, I have enjoyed many hotels there, but I would say this was my favorite. The staff is great. Very friendly and helpful. Being I was there for 14 days, many came to recognize me. Josephine, the housekeeper on my floor was a great plus to my visit. She tried to learn my schedule and clean while I was out. She was very friendly. I developed a fever one night and the next day, she made it a point of changing my linens.

Reading some of the reviews before I visited, I was concerned about the room size, but mine was great. Very spacious and well designed. The bathroom itself is just a shower and toilet and rather small, but there is a nice vanity outside that makes up for it. The bed and sofa were very comfortable and there is a good sized desk and workspace.

The breakfast was a great benefit. Very plentiful and the hot items seem to change frequently during my stay. The outdoor space was lovely, but just don't feed the birds.

The hotel also had a very comfortable lobby; a four station complimentary computer station; a gift shop; a tour desk; a well equipped gym; a smaller pool (why use when I could take a short walk to the beach!); a coin-operated laundry and a sundeck.

My favorite amenity was the lobby cafe. You could order food from their cafe menu 24/7 (sandwiches, soups, salads, deserts, etc), as well as a full size bar (never used). The staff there was great and I had some great meals.

The location of the hotel was strong. Very close to the beach and near the Zoo and Diamond Head. My balcony gave me a nice view of the latter.

The only downside I encountered was the elevator service. There were only two elevators in my 20+ floor tower. During breakfast or at peek times, you could wait a long time for the cars to come. Also, being that the housekeeping and maintenance staff are use these same two elevators, it created many traffic jams.

Other than that, I would highly recommend this location. In fact, I have already booked my room for my next trip to Honolulu.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Aloha NYCtravelboy,
Mahalo for taking the time to share your most rewarding feedback from your recent stay at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. It pleases us to learn that you were most impressed with our central location, personalized service, amenities, and guest room accommodations. We pride ourselves most on providing superior levels of intuitive service, and we are proud to learn that our team members were so successful in creating fond memories for you. Also, thank you for highly recommending our hotel to fellow travelers, and we are thrilled to hear that you've chosen us as your preferred hotel in Waikiki Beach.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had 4 nights here at the start of our trip. Staff were very helpful. Travelled with my husband and our 2 children, sharing a double room. Room size is good and we didn't feel too cramped. The hotel provided a fold out bed without having to be asked. Breakfast is very good, considering it is included in the price. Free Wifi everywhere is great. Fitness centre is also very good. Pool area is very small, but you are literally a 5 minute walk to the beach. I would definitely recommend staying in this hotel to anyone. Good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dazzchris
Aloha dazzchris,
Mahalo for your review. We are happy to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations during your stay at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. Thank you for recommending our hotel to fellow readers and travelers. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.
Simpsonville, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had an ocean view room on the 15th floor. This great room was very large with two very comfortable queen beds. The staff was superb- everyone was so friendly, courteous and helpful! The location was perfect for us- less than two blocks to the beach, walking distance to most of the downtown attractions, and right by the bus stops for quick and easy transportation. The free wireless and breakfasts were an added plus.We had a great experience and would recommend this facility to anyone going to Honolulu.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Deborah W
Aloha Deborah W,
Mahalo for your review. We pride ourselves most on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service, and we are proud to learn that our team members were so successful in creating such a lasting impression on you. Thank you for recommending the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach to fellow travelers visiting Honolulu.