“A full-service option in Waikiki”

Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fresno, CA
“A full-service option in Waikiki”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We weren't sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor, but this Hyatt Place definitely exceeded our expectations. Great service, free WiFi, and a complimentary breakfast were just three of the highlights from our three-night stay. The hotel is located just two blocks from the beach, and our room was huge.

Some reviewers have complained about the breakfast area because it's outside and the food attracts birds, which is true. However, it wasn't a major problem and we were able to enjoy our breakfast. There was also plenty of room to eat during our stay, although I can imagine that space could be an issue during busy periods.

If you decide to self-park, you'll pay $12/day at a lot that's not associated with the hotel and located across the street. We did this the first two days and it worked fine. On the third day, the lot was full and we ended up using the hotel's valet service, which is $25/day. Ideally, the hotel would have it's own lot for self-parking, but it wasn't a big deal. When you're just two blocks from the beach, it's hard to complain about paying $25 to park.

Overall, we were surprised the Hyatt Place wasn't ranked even higher in TripAdvisor's list of Waikiki hotels. The room rate can be a little high, but it's certainly competitive with other hotels in the area. We didn't experience a single problem mentioned in some of the reviews, and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to self-park in the lot across the street to save a little money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 56waldorf
KokuaHospitality, Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach Guest Services Team at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Aloha 56waldorf,
Mahalo for your review. We are thrilled to learn that we exceeded expectations during your stay at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. Our complimentary WiFi, a.m. Kitchen Skillet breakfast, and prime location makes us one of the best values in Waikiki Beach. We hope to top the TripAdvisor list of hotels in Waikiki Beach one day, and sincerely appreciate your nice compliments. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon!
Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach Guest Services Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I just wanted to leave feedback on how wonderful Hyatt's Australian reservation staff have been. They have done everything in their power to help me out and not only have the come up with the goods but their politeness and kindness has been a credit to both them and their organisation. In particular I would like to thank Stephen and his staff.

I made a reservation through bookit.com about a month ago for the Hyatt Place Waikiki. Bookit.com took a deposit and the remainder was to be paid over 2 payments. Yesterday I got a call from my bank to say that the Australian Federal Police had contacted the bank to say that my credit card was among a number that had been skimmed (details of my credit card had been fraudulently obtained - no details given of where or when) and that they needed to cancel the card and reissue a new one with a new number.

Over the last month I have tried numerous times to contact Bookit to give them a different credit card number and they never contacted me back. I had all but given up. However, with yesterday’s events, I didn’t have any choice – I have to change the credit card number but Bookit won’t accept that unless I either gave them my other credit card number over the phone (like I am going to do that given recent events!) or I cancelled the booking and rebooked at the current rate which is now $300 more expensive and there is was special discount that we got when we originally booked, meaning it will cost me another $4-500.

The Hyatt's staff have been wonderful and have rebooked me directly with the hotel at a slightly lower rate than Bookit gave me. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were unbelievably good to work with. They really understand customer service and if this experience is any indication of the service we’ll be getting in Hawaii, I can’t wait to go!

On the downside,Bookit tried to tell me that they couldn't let me pay the rest by paypal because the Hyatt didn't take paypal. However, the Hyatt confirmed with me that bookit paid them directly with bookit's own credit card, so whether the Hyatt takes Payal or not is irrelevant. I pay bookit and bookit pays the Hyatt. Bookit clearly says they take paypal, so why can't I pay them by paypal? Yet another reason to never use bookit again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angela D
Aloha Angela D,
Mahalo for your review. Wow! What an exhausting experience you had booking your stay here. We are thrilled to learn how supportive Hyatt's reservation center was towards your unique situation. Glad Hyatt was able to resolve this issue for you. We can't wait to welcome you to the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach very soon.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We selected a package that included transporation. When we arrived to the hotel the staff were not knowledgeable of the package in our reservation. The morning breakfast was a plus and one of the reasons we stayed but it was almost the exact same thing for the five days of our stay. Out check out time was scheduled for 12:00 PM I requested late check out of 2:00 PM (I receive this benefit because I have a Hyatt credit card) and was told it was okay but at 12:30 PM the cleaning person arrived. I explained we have a late check out at 2:00 PM and the cleaning person said she was not aware so I called the main desk and explained the situation and was told we had till 2:00 PM to check out. Then at 1:00 PM a hotel employee came and said we had to leave the room because it was past our check out time then I had to explain the situation to him. They have a poor communication system and hotel staff do not seem keep a good record of customers requests..

2 Thank Chris T
Aloha Chris T,
Mahalo for your review. Allow us to sincerely apologize for your check-out dilemma during your recent stay. This incident was brought to the attention of our Executive Committee, and will do everything in our power to make sure this does not reoccur moving forward. It would be a pleasure to invite you back for a much improved experience with us.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I had a great 3-day stay at the Hyatt place. It`s great that the breakfast and wireless internet are both free! The hotel is two blocks from the beach, there is an ABC store nearby (it seems there are more ABC stores than hotels in Waikiki haha..) and public transport is available next to the hotel. The room is very spacious, clean and new. I had a balcony with morning sun. For an American hotel, it is great value for money! You can take the breakfast to your room, no problem. There is a fridge in the room to store your drinks. What could be improved, is the noise isolation of the room. Single glass windows do not keep the noise of the heavy Honolulu traffic out of the room. They dealt very well with an issue regarding my room (I discovered a bed bug on my first evening). Although I`m not scared of the insects like many people ;) I got a new room immediately.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Swaan53
Aloha Swaan53,
Mahalo for your review. We are excited that you enjoyed our amenities at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. Our complimentary breakfast and WiFi, convenient location, and private lanais makes us one of the best values in Honolulu. We did a complete investigation of your previous guest room, and did not find any trace of bed bugs. We appreciate your comments and will always do our best to accommodate our guests during their stay.
new york
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I would actually give this hotel at 3.5 out of 5 (but i'm limited to whole numbers). Overall, i thought this hotel was OK. The furniture and everything around the hotel appears to be fairly new (one of the staff persons said it just became the Hyatt Place in Dec 2011?). Bed was comfortable and pillows were to my liking - not too soft. This is my 2nd visit to Waikiki so the hubs and i didn't do a ton of touristy stuff. There is a bus stop right at the corner, so it was easy to get around town with our 4 day bus pass (Diamond Head and Hanuma Bay was super easy to get to). The beach was 2 blocks away and the main shopping area was at most a 10 minute walk. We were first placed in a mountain view room on the 8th floor which had a separate sitting area (2 loveseats), i had unpacked all of our toiletries etc. and found some "issues" with the bedding so i called to ask for someone to bring up new sheets. They offered to send someone to replace the sheets or just move us to a new room. It was already late at night and after 12 hours of traveling i didn't want to deal with someone in the room so i opted for another room, which he told me was a little smaller (because apparently the room i got was one of the bigger ones) but on a higher floor (i was initially on the 8th fl). So the hubs got the new key card and we got the highest floor facing the "mountain" on the 14th floor - the room was SO SO much smaller. It was missing the entire seating area. It wasn't a big deal but for those that are looking for space, make sure you ask about this at check-in or when you do any switching of rooms. Anyway, again, it was late and for us this was just a place to sleep. We were on a higher floor, less bus/street noise (and we are from NYC so generally street noise does not bother us). The balcony was really small - all the other lanais that we've experience in Hawaii are probably 2x that size at least. But there was not much to look at, and we didn't spend much time out on the balcony. The free breakfast was OK, nothing to rave about, edible but certainly wouldn't pay extra for it - the coffee was probably the best thing that was available. Happy hour (it was only one type of drink that is specially priced) was ok, again nothing to rave about other than it being fairly inexpensive for an alcoholic drink. The sink (in both rooms) were outside the toilet and shower area - and in there was only a shower stall, no tub. For the price we paid, we thought it was acceptable for the Waikiki area. I don't think i would return though - other than the new furniture, close to public transportation, and, for the most part, clean appearance of the hotel, there is not much else going for it.

Room Tip: Bus stop located at the corner - use googlemaps on your smartphone to get door to door directions...
1 Thank jyp0827
Aloha jyp0827,
Mahalo for your review. Yes, we did become Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach in December, 2011. We are now officially a year old! Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your return to Waikiki Beach. It seems our accommodations failed to exceed expectations, and for that we truly apologize. We appreciate your honest feedback and hope you had a memorable experience in Waikiki.
new york
Reviewed November 21, 2012

we had a great time at hyatt place, it was in a great location at waikiki beach - away from the shops and bigger hotels. only two blocks from the beach and a reasonably included breakfast. A close walk to ono's hawiian family restaurant. Nice lobby and tourist desk information. Self parking is available fore 12 dollars a night across the street.

Alberta
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We enjoyed staying here. We had stayed here a few years ago before the upgrade. The upgrade has made a phenomenal difference. The beds were extremely comfortable--they were heavenly to sleep on. The breakfast each morning was tasty and had considerable variety for a continental breakfast. The staff were very friendly and always eager to help. I appreciated the complimentary coffee I received from the front desk in the evening. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Karen K
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Aloha Karen K,
Mahalo for your excellent review of the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach! We are thrilled to hear you found our renovations a phenomenal difference from the old Ocean Resort Hotel. Our superior hospitality efforts combined with our comfortable amenities make us one of the best values in Honolulu. Can't wait to welcome you back again soon!
Guest Services