“Perfect and brand new hotel”

Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ankara, Turkey
“Perfect and brand new hotel”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I found this place at the last minute and it was just perfect.. It was newly renovated and totally clean.. The only problem was a part of the hotel was still under constraction so the noise can be a problem sometimes.. Almost at the end of Waikiki beach but has an abc store next door and trolley stop was 10 steps away..

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank g b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We spent a week at this hotel in March, 2012 (myself, teenage son, teenage daughter) and found it to be excellent, especially as we got a terrific rate since the hotel was just renovated and opened under a new name/hotel line. I don't know what it previously had been, but I believe it was completely "re-done."

The room was perfect for our needs! We had two double beds, plus the couch pulled out to a bed, which was handy since my teens are both nearly full-grown and this allowed us to not have to squeeze in and share. Mini-fridge in room was very helpful, as was the coffee maker. The morning breakfast was VERY wonderful! The fresh berry/fruit mix was incredibly yummy and, when added ontop of the yogurt, was so delish! They had a couple of different breakfast sandwiches each day that were also yummy, as well as a few other items to choose from. Free wifi was well used and love by all of us! business center downstairs worked well most of the time. staff were usually very friendly & helpful.

I absolutely loved the lobby area, which is "open" and had a pretty waterfall wall and nice seating areas. They have the most wonderful aroma as you enter the hotel area! I commented to the desk staff that I loved it!!!! I was told it is specific to this hotel chain and I could look it up because you can purchase it---which I might do! It was heavely!

Location of this hotel was fine for us, but it is quite a bit down on the one end of Waikiki, which some may not realize or appreciate. Since my kids are teens and we're all in good shape, we didn't mind the walking at all when we wanted to head to other areas and liked being just a block and a half (or two?) across from the beach. Location worked very well for us. If I had as good of a deal as before, I would NOT hesitate at all to stay at this hotel again.....it was perfect and made for a very memorable trip for my kids, who had never been to Hawaii before!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hilltopfamily
, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear hiltopfamily,
Mahalo for your review. We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed the a.m. kitchen skillet, especially the fresh berries and yogurt combination. Our staff does an incredible job of exceeding our guests expectations and making an indelible impression on most our guests. We look forward to being of service to you and your family again soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I loved this place. We made a reservation at the last moment when we decided to stay in Honolulu after being in the North Shore. The moment we walked into the lobby we felt a sense of calm. The lobby is open-air but it has a pleasant scent-nothing overwhelming just one of those touches that makes this place so nice. My husband didn't mention there were 4 of us when he called in the reservation :) but they could not have been kinder or more accommodating. In fact, everyone at this hotel is lovely. The young women at the front desk, and especially the lady who checked us in
(wish I could remember her name), the bar tender who checked on us as we sat at a table near the bar and ordered appetizers for dinner late that first night--everyone was great. The room was so pretty, clean, nicely designed and just perfect.
The only small complaint--and it really didn't matter in the scheme of things--was that the breakfast (which, again, was really nice--fresh fruit, oatmeal, breakfast sandwiches, miso and rice) was quite crowded.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pdolan0519
Dear pdolan0519,
Mahalo for your very kind review! We sincerely appreciate your sincere comments about our staff at the newly renovated Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. Our staff does an excellent job at accommodating most of our guests and making an effort to make everyone feel welcome. Our apologies if the Guest Kitchen felt crowded during your stay, but we will be sure to take your comments into consideration for the future. It would be a pleasure to be of service to you again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I booked this hotel just a few days before my arrival to Honolulu. It was the only option, since all the other hotels in the price range I wanted were booked. So I opted for a cheaper option and was hesitant about my choice, but I have to say that after experiencing the hotel, I can only say: FORGET ALL THE OTHER HOTELS IN HONOLULU, STAY AT HYATT PLACE. The rooms are spacious and new. Breakfast is included, which is a good start of the day, but there are not a lot of options. Also, the breakfast area tends to get quite busy. The pool is very small, but I have never seen it being busy, maybe because people prefer the beach and ocean, which is very close. My room was a mountain view room and until midday I could sit on the balcony and sunbathe. However, Waikiki beach is about 5 minutes walk from the hotel, so therefore it is a must to go out. Also, the city centre is very close to the hotel and there are a number of buses that take you around the city, which stop just outside the hotel. There is also an ABC store close to the hotel and eating areas. The staff is very pleasant and helpful and they take their time to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Check in and check out went very smooth.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank InaF
Dear InaF,
Mahalo for your fantastic review. We are very excited to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the all new Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. Thank you for recommending our hotel to fellow travelers. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back when your travels bring you back to Honolulu.
Guam
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Pros: The recent renovation is absolutely beautiful. The whole design is modern yet casual and comfortable (perfect for a Waikiki vacation) in addition to being impeccably clean. The beds are cozy and the air conditioner unit worked great. Complimentary breakfast and in-room Wi-Fi certainly add to the value, and the buffet offers a nice variety- breakfast sandwiches, waffles or french toast, oatmeal, toast, bagels, pastries, fruit, yogurt, granola, Japanese-style breakfast, and an assortment of coffee and teas were available daily. The staff were friendly and helpful, despite the busyness at the front desk. We appreciated that the hotel provided complimentary beach towels. There is also a reasonably priced 24-hour bakery/sandwich shop in the lobby, as well as a bar and computers guests can use.

Cons: My husband and I were placed on the Mezzanine level, and our room was so small that we had to step over our suitcases to get to the bathroom. This issue could have been alleviated by scaling down some of the furniture (a large chair, ottoman, and a desk with office chair, plus a sizable dresser), but from the pictures that other travelers posted, it seems that our room was particularly tiny. Just something to be aware of when you book- inquire about square footage. While the customer service wasn't bad, it was obvious the hotel needs more employees. The front desk was always very gracious, but they were swamped with customers and there wasn't a separate concierge desk. Valet was extremely slow, which was a problem during busy hours when cars were lined up on the street, blocking traffic. Breakfast hours are limited from 6:30 - 9:00 a.m. on weekdays (10 a.m. on weekends). Finally, the pool is small and tucked away in a corner of the breakfast patio.

Bottom Line: I would stay here again and endure relatively minor inconveniences if the price were right, as the most important elements- comfort, cleanliness, staff friendliness, and location- earn high marks. My advice is to shop around for a hotel with better efficiency and amenities, but if you're price-conscious and Hyatt Place fits the bill, I recommend trying it.

Room Tip: Inquire about room size, as they vary.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lmarie08
Dear Imarie08,
Mahalo for your honest feedback. We value comments such as yours as they help us to continue improving our services. Our apologies if your room size failed to exceed expectations during your stay with us. Most of our guest rooms are quite large, and we are surprised to hear that you experienced difficulty getting around your room. This is the first time we have received feedback about the inadequate amount of space in our guest rooms, but will be sure to share your comments with our executive committee. Also, we are sorry to hear that the front desk and valet was experiencing delays during your stay. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back for a much improved stay in the future.
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Reviewed June 14, 2012

When we first arrived in Honolulu after an ~11-hour direct flight from JFK, we hopped in a metered taxi to Waikiki Beach (about 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic). Our taxi ride ended up costing $40 in the end, but we learned upon arrival that many hotels and car rental services in Waikiki offer a fixed-rate taxi service to and from Waikiki – HNL for $25-$29.

We spent our first two nights in Waikiki at the new Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, which opened roughly 6 months ago in December of 2011. The Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach is located just two short blocks away from the beach (literally a 2 minute walk), and there is an ABC Store adjacent to the hotel, which is great for stocking up on bottled water, snacks, wine (why pay $10+ a glass when you can buy two full bottles for $10?), sunscreens, etc.

The average nightly room rate is about $294 during peak summer months, but I was able to book this property at a very good rate of $119 per night back in February using Hyatt’s best rate guarantee (related post). We enjoyed everything about this hotel; our room was incredibly spacious, new, and lively, and the staff was very friendly and helpful with local food recommendations.

Another great thing about the hotel was the free in-room wifi, 24-hour fitness room access, and an impressive free breakfast spread. Breakfast begins at 6:30 am and consists of a variety of hot breakfast sandwiches, fresh fruit, fresh juices, an array of cereals/oatmeals, and even some Asian miso/rice/congee options. We knew breakfast at the hotel was going to be worthwhile when we saw a swarm of guests starting to line up as early as 6:10 am, and boy it was a madhouse by opening time.

Another great thing that I just learned about Hyatt Places’ in general is that there is no early departure fee. This policy especially came in handy for us because we had to drastically shorten our Hawaii trip, and we would have lost our $119 rate if we had made any changes to the reservation online or over the phone prior to check in. Luckily we were able to inform the hotel at check in that we would be staying 2 nights instead of the 3 I originally reserved, and my $119 rate was secured.

If you’re heading to Waikiki anytime soon, I highly recommend you consider the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. Sure, the Hyatt Regency Waikiki is nearby and offers ocean views, but this little gem is less expensive, newer, and totally a wonderful place to stay right in the heart of Waikiki!
The exterior of the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach

Very spacious and bright room

Fun corner sitting area

Large flat screen TV

Modern and simple work desk
Balcony

The vanity sink is separate from the bathroom and shower, making it convenient for getting ready!

Portico bath products

For the complete review, including pictures, please visit my blog at: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/justanotherpointstraveler/2012/06/14/hotel-review-hyatt-place-waikiki-beach/

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aaucello
Dear aaucello,
Mahalo for your review. We are thrilled to hear about your memorable experience at the all new Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach. Sounds like you really enjoyed all of our brand new amenities and very friendly staff. Thank you very much for including us in your blog, we have already seen it posted in the USA Today Travel section online. We sincerely appreciate you recommending our hotel in your blog and can't wait to host you again when your travels bring you back to Honolulu.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 14, 2012

From the warm greeting on arrival, the room, the breakfast and the facilities overall it was a great experience. It is always nice to enter a room that matches up to the pictures and the marketing pitch, the 42 inch tv is certainly a bonus. The breakfast also matches up to the pitch and exceeds it.

The only blemish in my stay that on the one day that my jet lag did not get me up in the middle of the night there was a false alarm at 6am forcing us out of our rooms. However, on the premise that safety is an imperative I have decided not to let this incident lower my rating as I am sure it's not a common occurence.

On the whole Hyatt Place Waikiki beach rocks, especially considering the pricey accomodation on offer in Honolulu.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Services at Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Mdawini,
Mahalo for your review. We are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you would definitely consider returning to us again in future. Sorry to hear that the fire alarm caused a minor disruption during your stay, especially since you were adjusting to the time difference in Honolulu. We appreciate your awesome comments and would be happy to invite you back for another wonderful stay.