“Soulful ambience, with an old world charm”
Review of Manoa Valley Inn

Manoa Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Honolulu B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This must be considered a hidden gem, it's funky and soulful, and nothing like the sterile boxes of Waikiki hotels,that are considerably more money and charge you for parking, where you hardly ever see or even get to chat with anyone, except a front desk clerk. Here you get to have breakfast on this beautiful veranda and meet and talk with people from all over the world, including the marvelous proprietors, Theresa
and John, the Inn has been around since 1912, and is a unique experience, don't miss
a chance for something truly different.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank macmike95

Reviewed February 5, 2011

The house is a historical landmark with lovely rooms, a heated salt water swimming pool, a beautiful breakfast setting with a variety of fresh fruits, yogurt, breads and muffins served. The hosts were friendly, made us feel welcome, and were very helpful in suggesting restaurants we never would have found ourselves.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Devorah33851
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a week, and coming back to this warm and lovely environment after nights out in Waikiki was the highlight of our trip. My husband needed to work a few hours each day, and he did so on the furnished veranda amid breezes, flowers, and birdsong. While he worked, I read in the "tiki hut" cabana by their sweet little stone pool. The owners gave us plenty of advice, and wonderful service. They even provided coffee for my husband while he worked. I feel as though we've made friends for life.

The Inn is not for everyone; some folks might be better off staying at a hotel chain where everything is cookie-cutter perfect. The Inn is not perfect, it is in an older home with most, if not all, of its original features intact. That means old-fashioned door locks and keys, beautiful craftsman details, older and sometimes sticky windows, and wallpaper that you won't find at your local Lowe's. I am a lover of old houses and these things are charming quirks to me that represent a real home instead of a sanitized white box of a room on the 23rd floor of some non-descript hotel chain.

The lush gardens are amazing - not over-landscaped, the trees and flowers reminded me that I was in a tropical paradise. The pool is tucked out of site and so made me feel as if I were slipping off to my own secret paradise.

Theresa and John were cordial and welcoming and concerned with our comfort and enjoyment. We will make Manoa Valley Inn our home away from home on Oahu from now on.

1  Thank GiniGL
Reviewed January 23, 2011

My wife and I just spent a week at the Manoa Valley Inn and it was one of the most restful, wonderful stays either of us can recall anywhere. The beautiful historic building, and the gorgeous garden and huge veranda, provide a lovely, quiet, retreat. At the same time, you can easily get to beach, highway, and downtown.

The old fashioned rooms are a treat. We stayed in the smallest, i believe, the Sun Room and shared a bath. I have to say, as someone who spends 100 nights a year on the road for business, and is used to my own space, I was dreading this. Silly me! It was no problem, the bathroom was comfortable and clean and in the same grand style as the house, and all was well.

Two real standouts: the veranda and gardens, and the hosts. I had to work most mornings while there, but doing so on that deck, which i had to myself even though the place was full, made it as painless as it could be. My wife spent time at the perfectly sized (and heated) pool, and its unique cabana bed for napping, and we enjoyed all this so much that one afternoon we simply hung out there instead of packing up and heading to the beach!

Theresa and John are great hosts as well, accommodating, friendly, and a tremendous source of recommendations for hikes, beaches, restaurants, and more.

We really cannot imagine having had a nicer time, and surely will return as soon as we can.

1  Thank RichardMockler
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Not what I expected from an American B&B. Although it was cheap and the hosts were very nice, the house was very shabby, fan wasn't working in room, TV remote missing, plumbing very noisy and breakfast was sparse. It wasn't a comfortable stay. I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Velma2
Reviewed January 7, 2011

AWESOME! My husband and I spent two weeks over the holidays at the Manoa Valley Inn and highly recommend it to others. John and Theresa are attentive hosts giving good advice on delicious eateries and visiting the Islands hidden treasures. The location is close to everything, yet feels worlds away from the garish hubbub of Waikiki. The view while eating breakfast on the lanai is unmatched. We especially enjoyed the beautiful gardens and swimming in the lushly landscaped pool. The Baldwin Room was comfortable, pleasant and had lots of interesting Victorian furnishings, as did the entire B&B. MVI is a relaxing & beautiful place to stay when visiting Oahu. We hope to return.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ohiodebCutler_ohio
Reviewed January 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed stayed at The Manoa Valley Inn for a week. It truly became our home away from home. The owners Teresa & John make their home a VERY special place for Hawaii travelers.

This B & B is an historic home with beautiful grounds. The beds are comfortable, the showers are nice and strong and the views from the rooms look onto downtown Waikiki. There is a beautiful veranda where you can enjoy a good cup of coffee and relax. There's wi-fi and plenty of places to sit back and stay in touch.

There's also a nice pool on the grounds to relax in. Teresa & John are extremely helpful with all of one's questions and they go out of their way to help you and make you feel comfortable.

If you are looking for a little jewel to stay at that's away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, this is the place!

I'll definitely keep coming back.

1  Thank nectarphonic