“What a horrible experience...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Manoa Valley Inn

Manoa Valley Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Honolulu B&B and Inns
california
“What a horrible experience...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2007

I’m still not sure I’m totally recovered from the “Manoa Valley Inn” nightmare.
We were taking my 85-yea- old parents for their first trip to Hawaii. Since my mom is in a wheelchair my top criterion is wheel chair accessibility. The owner assured me that they have a “lovely cottage” in the garden that’s ground level and wheel chair accessible (not the Alexander cottage, which wasn’t available), “No, there is no picture on the web, it’s newly added and it’s lovely.”, I was assured. Turns out this “lovely cottage” is a converted garage! No, converted garage is an euphemism, it’s the original garage structure with a bunch of cheap furnitures thrown in, or it’s more like a carport since the walls don’t go all the way to the ceiling. The area between the walls and the ceiling is enclosed with tattered screens, with bigger holes filled in with tissues (to keep off bugs?)

This “cottage” is reachable by a narrow and winding path made of gravels and paving stones, it would probably fit the wheel chair if I cut the chair in half length-wise. On top of that it’s totally unlit. Since we arrived after dark and it was raining, even I (an avid hiker) had problem negotiating it, not to say my 85 year old mom in a wheel chair. How we stumbled to the room was a mystery. After a careful study I found there were actually flood lights outside the door (as it’s a garage) but it took us even longer to find the switch because it’s taped shut! An un-lit, uneven path is a hazard to anyone, and this is what they called “wheelchair accessible” room???

If their goal is to achieve a “garage theme” I’d say they are very successful. The light fixture in the center of the room is a fluorescent shop light, true to its past. The closet is the plastic kind that hangs from the ceiling. The bedding is the cheapest, ugliest I have ever seen compared with the B&B’s I have stayed (which is a lot, as you can see I would choose a B&B instead of a Waikiki high-rise). There are no windows, but thanks to the screened-in gap between the walls and the ceiling there is plenty of ventilation, maybe too much since every night the wind was howling and it blew from one end to the other and was excruciatingly noisy. On top of that you still hear street noise, this place is in no way “quiet” as described by some tour books. There was no hot water the first night, when I reported the problem to the owner I got blank stares. I had to suggest “Can you take a look” before I got a response. And what irks me the most is we paid top dollars for this! It’s charged the same as a room in the main building with a private bath!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank a_world_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2007

Where do I start? I wanted to be out of the fast pace of Honolulu, so found this b and b - the website made it look as if the place was in a secluded valley, but it is in suburbia - 1st issue. We arrived to have the owner almost demand our visa as we walked in the door and got a 'you are on the third floor - you have lots of bags, but you're young!'. No help with those, but I still have an open mind. Room was fine - no tv which isn't a big deal, half used shampoos (ok, I'm not fussy, but that's just stingy!). Breakfast the next morning we were down there at 730 as directed. The breakfast consists of a few muffins, coffee that runs out in 5 minutes, had to ask for milk, a bit of fruit. Really, very average for somewhere calling themselves a b and b. We ended up eating at a nearby cafe since we found the whole breakfast thing quite stressful rather than relaxing as a b and b should be. The owners are interesting people - pretend to be super friendly, but are very rude, in what they see is normal behaviour. My fiancee and I have stayed at hundreds of places throughout Europe, the states and Oz, and this b and b was awful. It is very overpriced and while a jaguar sits out front, the owners are stingy in their hospitality. When guests are coming down to breakfast to be told by Theresa, the owner 'oh I forgot about you' in her provisioning, you know there are problems. Stay in Honolulu or up on the north coast if you have a car - very chilled out and normal unlike the Manoa Valley Inn.

Stayed January 2007
11 Thank Loveroftravel2
Europe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2007

I lived on Oahu for a decade, and have been lucky enough to return often. Far and away, my favorite place to stay is the Manoa Valley Inn. The ambience and staff encompass the best of that which makes Hawaii special. It's quaint, peaceful, and friendly. Now, having said that, one thing I've observed about most tourists, is that even though they complain about the 'real Hawaii' being hard to find, they often have a hard time experiencing anything outside their comfort zone of sterile, air-conditioned, impersonal, high-rise towers. The Manoa Valley Inn is there for those who really want to visit Hawaii.

Stayed February 2007
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2006

We experienced the earthquake (Oct 15, 2006) and some damage to the home - but the owners managed to provide breakfast and hot coffee only moments later. Without power for 17 hours (throughout the island) and water for several, they still kept us content and happy with their hospitality.

Home is beautiful older home in universit neighborhood (quiet while we were there) - quaint - one of very few left on Oahu with some character. Rooms are comfortable and the antiques are amazing.

We would return and recommend this for those who enjoy amazing views - of the city and Diamond Head.

Donna/Dave

• Liked — Service and ambiance
  • Disliked — Bathroom - dated
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ddntmosely
Newton, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2006

[-]
We stayed there in February '06 and really liked the place for its ambience and location. However, the owners have yet to respond to my several email requests for an explanation of the charges to our credit card. Admittedly, our stay was complicated as it involved room changes and was interrupted by a several-day trip to Kauai, but...not a word., even if to claim that they were right and I was wrong.

So, if you go, get all the rates nailed down and agreed-to before you give your credit card number.

Stayed September 2006
7 Thank Garlic82
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2006

The Manoa Valley Inn provided just the refreshing type of experience that we were looking for, the opposite end of the spectrum from the predictable western hotel experiences that can easily be found in mass quantity along Waikiki beach. Located only a short distance from the bustle of Waikiki, the surroundings were a welcomed calm from our busy day excursions. Located centrally, the Manoa Valley Inn is conveniently close to a number of great beaches, Diamond Head and Manoa Falls. A rental car is needed. John and Theresa were welcoming hosts, who willingly shared their vast local knowledge of outstanding places to dine from local ‘hole in the walls’ to high end restaurants, sites of interest for day excursions and fantastic beaches to bathe on. We stayed in the artistically decorated Sunroom located on the second floor, which had a comfortable double bed and an antique Asian opium bed. The surrounding windows offered a majestic view of Waikiki and allowed the song of morning birds to filter in. The included breakfast was light, offering English muffins and toast, fruit, coffee, tea and juice. If you’re looking for a non commercial experience of Oahu, then Manoa Valley Inn is worth considering.

• Liked — The personal service we recieved, and the fact that it was an intimate Victorian home as opposed to a commercial hotel
  • Disliked — We opted for a room without an ensuit, however that meant we had to go to another floor
  • Tips/Secrets — You may want to eat out for breakfast if you are looking for a 'full' breakfast
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank heatherandrobert
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2006

This was our first time going to a bed and breakfast. Walking out on the varanda in the morning was such a pleasant way to start the day. Birds in the yard, smell of beautiful flowers and a fresh arrangement of fruit was wonderful. The view in the evening was just fabulous. After one drive to Honolulu at night, we decided to stay close to home in the evening. A bottle of wine, wonderful guest to enjoy and a view that was beyond compare - this was Hawaii! We are from a small town in Washington and we felt very safe staying at the Manoa Valley Inn.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honolulu
Vive Hotel Waikiki
#16 of 84 in Honolulu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,232 reviews
Coconut Waikiki Hotel
#9 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Manoa Valley Inn? Share your experiences!