“Remember to call them to request the type of bed(s) you would like!”

Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 26, 2010

If you wonder why there are no pictures of the front of the hotel on their website, it's because it looks like a small cheap motel from the outside. It is stuck in between some residential buildings, so the views from the balconies aren't that nice. Also, it's on Kuhio Ave, which is fine in the morning, but very shady and unsafe at night. Also, it does seem like it is catered to the Asian crowd, like another viewer said, because the hallways smell like Asian cooking. The rooms and bathrooms are very nicely renovated though. But it seems like they forgot to change the shower heads, which are very old and have lots of gunk stuck on it. I think it is very good for the price ($100 a night). But I would rather pay more to stay at a better location, where I would not be afraid to walk back to later than 10 PM.

Oh by the way, if you are renting a car, their parking lot is very small and cramped.
You can save $5 a day by parking next door (on the left) at their sister hotel, which has a large public parking lot.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angelmahass
aquabamboo, General Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2010

Dear angelmahass
Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention. We hope that you will accept our sincere apology for failing to meet your expectations and for the inconveniences that you endured. We truly value your patronage and appreciate your honest feedback. Please know that the entire team at the Aqua Bamboo & Spa is committed to taking the necessary steps to ensure that this experience is not repeated.

I’m sorry to hear you felt your room accomodations were inadequate. Had we known of your discomfort, alternate rooms may have been given as options for a comfortable stay. Given that our hotel is located right in the middle of busy Waikiki, the nightlife will always be around us and we apologize for the inconvenience. Your feedback regarding the maintanance work order has been addressed and corrected.

Should future travel bring you back to Hawaii, we hope that you will give us another chance.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

My family and I booked the Aqua Bamboo first based on price and value, but after staying there for five days we realized there was no other place we would rather stay. The staff at the Aqua Bamboo is the best in the business. Most importantly they seem genuine in their efforts to serve you. The location is very convenient, right on Kuhio Ave and two blocks up from the public beach and ever entertaining Waikiki strip. With the international market nearby, the Kings Village and many pick up points for tours within a block, you are not too far from anything.

The pool area is cozy and clean, and there are several teak tables and chairs with umbrellas to relax at and enjoy your morning coffee and read the local paper that is available in the lobby. There are two semi private, open air bungalos surrounded by bamboo and other local foilage that provide a tropical escape from the busy streets. To top it all off there is a beautiful waterfall at the end of the pool that makes a great backdrop for a family picture.

It goes without saying that we were not ready to leave the Aqua Bamboo at the end of our stay. Quality, convenience and price but most of all...the spirit of the Hawaiian people, it's all here. Hawaii is at the top of my vacation list again.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

After lots of research on hotels in Waikiki that would suits our needs, we decided on Aqua Bamboo. Having our 2.5 year old son with us, wanted something central, with a kitchenette, a living area to relax away from the bedroom and a room that we could enjoy spending time in if we had to while he slept in the day etc. We also didn't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money. The Aqua Bamboo delivered on all of these points and more!
Our room was clean, modern and spacious with lovely teak furniture and sandstone floors and it was not noisy at all (surprising being on busy Kuhio Ave). It was cleaned daily and the staff were always friendly and helpful.
We loved the happy hours by the pool on Thursdays and we were made to feel very welcome both times we wandered down for a drink and a snack.
The hotel has a lovely boutique feel and is not one of those horrendous high rise buildings you find everywhere in Waikiki. The location is awesome, no views from our room but just a block from the gorgeous Waikiki beach which you look at all day anyway!
There's a supermarket nearby and buses and restaurants/shops at your doorstep. I really couldn't have asked for a better hotel and we will be back for sure

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2010

First of all I would suggest spending the extra cash and upgrade to the 1 bedroom kitchenette . I stayed in 1204 for 8 nights and it was fantastic. Clean , good views and a very very comfortable bed. I did not find it noisy at all. The staff are remarkable.. so helpful and kind. 3 blocks to the beach what more could you ask for? My only complaint was I wouldn't waist the money on the breakfast package. You only get a little muffin and a orange and coffee. In the lobby they have free coffee, tea, ice-water, lemonade , ice tea and apples available 24 hrs. I am not sure how anybody could complain about this place?? I loved it and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Lisafromcanada
Reviewed July 15, 2010

The hotel website makes it look much nicer than it is. It is very small, with not many amenities, and while close to the beach not in the nicest section of waikiki (the surroundings felt quite seedy). The bed was small and not very comfortable, and the room overall felt quite tight. Although we were on the top floor, the view wasn't great – other buildings very close by.

When we arrived the room we were given had a door that wouldn't lock, so after unpacking we had to move to another room. The service overall seemed bare bones and a bit disorganized.

I wouldn't stay here again – it seems there are better options even in this price range, and if not I'd spend more to be in a nicer place next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank darrylandmeg
aquabamboo, General Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2010

Aloha darrylandmeg,

Our rooms range from standard to one bedroom suites which are much larger. I’m sorry to hear you felt your room was inadequate. However, had we know of your disatisfaction, I’m sure we would have found alternate accomodations for your comfort.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2010

(Stayed between july 6 thru the 14th. Book the hotel from a third party internet website and stayed for 9 days and 8 nights, I first requested a king bed or 2 queen bed and facing the courtyard as I have read the review that the rooms facing the streets are a problem especially with noise. Guess what?, I was given a room facing the street. I requested if they can moved me to a courtside room as to enjoy my stay since I am staying 9 days, the lady in the front desk her name is "Fe" told me to check her again 2 days from now as she is off the following day. I saw the same person but I guess she forgot anyhow I have made camp over the room and got used to the noise. The second day of my stay at around 9 pm a guy working the front desk dan or dave not sure...I ask him if he can guide me to a food place that specialized in LauLau or Kalua pig, instead of getting a direct answer he gave me his opinion that he dont care for local foods and cant help me. I said to myself this guy doesnt have any skills in customer service nor does not want to help. Anyhows the following morning there is a great front desk lady who has been giving me advise and where to go and I followed her advised and was highly satisfied with her recommendation. On the other hand the housekeeping guy who I encountered was rude, impolite and has no customer service at all. I ask for a battery in my remote for the TV as soon as he came up you can see from the look of his face that he was pssst off as he seems to have just woken up and made a mumbling sound and made me hurry to check my remote if its working. Since looks can be decieving he does not even know that both of us are the same race and culture. Second encountered with the guy was when I requested the front desk for some shampoo and conditioner they stated they will have someone bring it up. Guess what I have been waiting more than 15 minutes and as soon as I heard a slight sound on my door I look at the peephole and there he was leaving right away without even statying for minute for me to open the door, so I went down and ask where is my shampoo and conditioner the font desek contacted him and sure enough he claim that he was there, I did not even bother to argue as I am starting to get psst off, even the front desk lady stated that he seems to have some pschological disorder and a problem for the hotel. Bottomline the hotel is in a great place 2 blocks down from the beach, infront of the bus lane, safe place to walk and enjoy waikiki. The hotel decor is updated, rooms are tight but comfortable, pool is small but the ambiance in the pool area is really great to relax and sunbath. The employees some are great but most needs improvement in customer rapport, their skills needs to improved and their will needs to be further push to gain excellent customer service. The "will and the Skill" can make or break this hotel. They could have gone the extra mile for me on my stay if they have move me during or within my stay to a court yard facing room. An "EXTRA MILE" can go a long way for loyality and gain more business thru friends and family.

1  Thank Jampogi
aquabamboo, General Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2010

Dear Jampogi
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience at the Aqua Bamboo & Spa. While we do our best to honor room requests, whether it be location of the room, view or bedding, it is all based on availability. I apologize not having the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your concerns. Please know that I understand why you are upset and apologize for the discomfort you endured. We’ll make sure that your feedback is considered as we update our policies and make changes to better serve you our valued guest.

On behalf of the guest service agent staff, I do apologize for any negative feedback you may have encountered. Please know that here at the Aqua Bamboo & Spa, it is our goal that all guests receive exceptional service and regret not having the opportunity to do so during yoru visit. Please note, our guest service agents and staff members intention is not to come off as unhelpful or impolite and are always willing to offer suggestions and assistance whenever possible. The appropriate department heads have been advised of your concerns.

We hope that you will accept our sincere apology for failing to meet your expectations and for the inconveniences that you endured. We truly value your patronage and appreciate your honest feedback. Thank you for your positive comments. Please know that the entire team at the Aqua Bamboo & Spa is committed to taking the necessary steps to ensure that this experience is not repeated.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 10, 2010

I arrived late last night with my 8 year old son. The hotel was fully booked and we were given our pre assigned room which was a studio with a partial kitchen. The room itself is ok but there is no extractor fan so when you cook the room smells of food! Our view is a huge wall and our room is really noisy. I was woken up several times during the night by the traffic noise. The whole hotel is a little old and worn and the pool is tiny.

We left our room early for "breakfast". We arrived at the pool area to be handed a paper bag with two very poor quality muffins inside. My son fed his to the birds and I threw mine away. There was no milk for my child and when I asked if I could get some I got a blank "no"! We left the hotel and went to the Farmers Market which was fantastic! We had a good brunch there following our disappointing experience. When we came back to our room it had not been made up (it was 1.30pm) and so when we left for the beach I asked the reception to send someone up. On returning from the beach the room had been made up but the plates in the sink had not been washed and the table where my son had had a snack still had crumbs on it! This is not acceptable.

We are lucky enough to travel a great deal and always read reviews on TripAdvisor before booking a hotel. I am really disappointed with how highly this hotel is rated! For the price I think you would be better looking around. We have another five days here but I am so disappointed I couldnt wait but write the review now!!!!

3  Thank LondonGeorgia
aquabamboo, General Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Dear LondonGeorgia,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for allowing us to address the concerns brought forward. It is with disappointment and surprise that I learned of your dissatisfaction regarding your room accommodations. Unfortunately, due to high occupancy upon your arrival, optional rooms were limited. Had we known of your discomfort, we would had gladly found alternate accommodations for you & your son. Please accept our deepest apologies.

Continental breakfast is available as a quick start to your day and we do apologize that it was not to your liking. Suggestions has been made to the appropriate people regarding your requests.

Please note that daily maid service is normally done between 9:00am—4:00pm; however we do apologize for the oversight. Had you wish to have your room serviced sooner, arrangements may be requested via the front desk. Dishes are normally not a part of daily maid service; however may be done so upon request.

Here at the Aqua Bamboo & Spa, guest satisfaction is our number one priority to ensure a most comfortable stay.

We truly value our relationship with our mutual guests and appreciate the support we receive from them. Although we regret not having the opportunity to do so during your stay, it is still our sincere desire to renew your faith in the Aqua Bamboo & Spa.

Mahalo,