“never had a problem”

Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Los Angeles
“never had a problem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2006

when i book my trip i forgot to look up the bamboo for peer reviews.
when i heard all the bad talk i was a bit scared
But
when i got into my room....it was awesome
two full beds
a bathroom with shower and bath and two sinks
a kitchenette
the room was clean
great location
staff was awesome
the only thing i can see a problem is parking
but everywhere in waikiki you have to pay so
no worries
2 block from the beach
what else can you complain about
they clean our rooms
so
if you ask me to stay there again....for sure
am there!!!

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank kuya42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2006

Just returned last night after a week at the bamboo. I'll keep it brief and to the point.

CONS

The bathroom smelled of urine, the room of mildew. "FREE Breakfast" consists of a tiny muffin, a can of hawaiian soda or iced tea, and a yogurt. The pool is tiny, the hottub very intimate if more than one person is in it. The balconies facing the street are so small your knees rub the railing sitting on the bench. Kuhio Ave is rife with prostitutes and drug dealers after dark.

PROS

Beds are comfy enough, only 2 blocks from Waikiki beach. Massage services was a good value. Don't throw away the "Diner's Club" coupon book they give you, you will save a lot of money at great restaurants and attractions with it. High speed internet was free (in the room, not in lobby).

ADVICE

Reserve parking ahead of time if possible. Very limited parking spaces, you don't want to park 2 blocks away.

Probably not the worst budget hotel in Waikiki area, but substandard.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

This hotel oversells itself. It describes itself as a spa and newly renovated. I disagree. It looks like it got a make over at a yard sale. We had a studio unit with kitchenette. Hot plates no microwave. Extra small coffee pot. Only one nightstand on one side. Hot water valves working improperly left us fiddling with the temperature to avoid getting scalded. One towel per person. The TV was an old model with limited channels. Internet access through ethernet cable. Parking is available in garage on 1st come first serve basis. Only 8 stalls available to the hotel. Barely get out of your car squished together type parking. They charge you $15.00 a night. The staff is a little sour. I felt a little jipped. The pool area is nice but it looks much better on the website than it actually is...Thought you should know...

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2006

I reserved this hotel w/ the recommendatio of a travel agency. I asked for a hotel convinent to Wakiki, clean and w/ budgeted price. However, after I read several reviews on this web site, I was really worried. I wanted to change my reservation but I paid the package in full already.
I got to the hotel on 6/22. Let me tell you, what a relief. I booked a suite and was upgraded to the delux suite. Not only the room is big, clean but it is very nice. The bedroom and kitchen is very nice w/ modern furnitures, The bathroom comes w/ a big jacuzzi tub and a shower. The bathroom is not sparkly clean but it's clean. The kitchen shows some ages but everything you need is there and works. Oh, We have one small patio facing the side of the buiding and one big patio ( as big as the room) facing the street. The room number is 904. My son loved the patio. it's the best thing to the room. You get to sit outside enjoying the city in the morning and night.
I saw 3 ants and 1-2 very small cockroaches in the kitchen. I know, I know. Cockroaches! Let me just tell you my friend paid closed to $ 300 staying @ Wakiki sheraton for a O.K. room facing the ocean the same time we were there. The first thing she saw when she walked in the room were cockroaches. She was furious. She called the front desk. They told her to chilled down and stated that it's normal to have cockroaches and ants in Wakiki because of the weather. And her room and patio was much smaller than ours.
Some people complained about the continental breakfast. Hey, at least they offered it. This is the place where a head of lettus cost about $ 1-2 dollars and a bottle of 1 L water is $ 1.50 depends on where you go. They give you one piece of pastry and one haiwaii drink for each person staying the room. I don't eat the pastry but mine family did. It would have cost us $ 5-8 dollars each day had we have to buy them ourselves. They also have coffee and tea in the lobby.
The swimming pool is new and nice. The staffs are extremely nice and helpful.The housekeeper comes every day. Sure, the room is kinda noisy because there is so much traffic in Wakiki. But it comes w/ location. The hotel is 1/2 miles from the beach. If you want quietness in Oahu, you have to stay in the Turtle bay hote in north shore. I live in LA, the traffic in Wakiki is Comparable or worse than LA. There are about 10 ABCs stores w/ in 5 mins of walking distant.
Yes, the parking is $ 15.00 per day. But you get to park downstairs. The lobby isn't the 5 stars hotel setting it's very nice. I have to say that I was really happy w/ the room. My friend paid $ 300 for a night for a hotel w/ luxury lobby and ocean view but the room was stinky small. I paid under $ 180 for a delux suite w/ big patio and full kitchen. We would denifitely stay there agiain.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank Allison T
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

I had a good time at the Bamboo.. The staff was very nice and helpfull.. At first I was uneasy about staying at this hotel. By looking at the pictures that other people provided.. The hotel was not the best but the room was clean. Housekeeping came in everyday and changed our bedding and gave us new towls in the bathroom. They did a very good job with keeping the place clean.. No the hotel is not up to date but it was nice.. It was close to everyting food the stores and the beach.. What more can you ask for when everything was in walking distance..There was not that much street noise.. But I feel if u wanted to go to quiet island you should have went to Maui.. So I disagree with all the negative reviews that I read before I expierenced the hotel for myself.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Mateo, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

At the risk of this place becoming popular, I am telling you it is one of the best kept secrets in Waikiki! The pics attached are worth more than words, so look for yourself. I will just say The Bamboo is CLEAN (no ants/no uncleaned urine as in other reviews), the A/C is quiet (but who needs it when I had 2 lanais, both doors open to the wonderful Tradewinds), nicely decorated (not Goodwill furniture like the Royal Hawaiian), quiet (there aren't that many units per floor, and it is designed so that entry doors are few and far between, hence quiet), and most important for me FREE IN ROOM HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!!!! Just bring your laptop, ethernet cable, plug and surf! Oh, and parking is $15 a day, available in the building with advance reservation. I simply can't beleive all the previous bad reviews, and sure am glad I DIDN'T LISTEN TO THEM! The Bamboo is a gem, but shush: don't tell anyone!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank dakine94110
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2006

What a great little hotel! The lava rock fountain pool is surrounded by tropic decor which was relaxing and refreshing. The location it fantastic, block and half to Waikiki beach, tons of places to eat and shop. My room was on the 12th floor facing the ocean which gave us a great view. Make sure you don’t have a room facing the street side it will be very loud being the hotel is set on a main street. My room had a microwave and refrigerator which was nice being they bring you a continental breakfast every morning. The spa is nice and the front desk people are very nice and helpful. The only bad thing was the small full size beds; otherwise you can’t beat the value the Bamboo offers. I would stay here again…

• Stayed January 2006