“Loved it”

Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed June 30, 2006

I reserved this hotel w/ the recommendatio of a travel agency. I asked for a hotel convinent to Wakiki, clean and w/ budgeted price. However, after I read several reviews on this web site, I was really worried. I wanted to change my reservation but I paid the package in full already.
I got to the hotel on 6/22. Let me tell you, what a relief. I booked a suite and was upgraded to the delux suite. Not only the room is big, clean but it is very nice. The bedroom and kitchen is very nice w/ modern furnitures, The bathroom comes w/ a big jacuzzi tub and a shower. The bathroom is not sparkly clean but it's clean. The kitchen shows some ages but everything you need is there and works. Oh, We have one small patio facing the side of the buiding and one big patio ( as big as the room) facing the street. The room number is 904. My son loved the patio. it's the best thing to the room. You get to sit outside enjoying the city in the morning and night.
I saw 3 ants and 1-2 very small cockroaches in the kitchen. I know, I know. Cockroaches! Let me just tell you my friend paid closed to $ 300 staying @ Wakiki sheraton for a O.K. room facing the ocean the same time we were there. The first thing she saw when she walked in the room were cockroaches. She was furious. She called the front desk. They told her to chilled down and stated that it's normal to have cockroaches and ants in Wakiki because of the weather. And her room and patio was much smaller than ours.
Some people complained about the continental breakfast. Hey, at least they offered it. This is the place where a head of lettus cost about $ 1-2 dollars and a bottle of 1 L water is $ 1.50 depends on where you go. They give you one piece of pastry and one haiwaii drink for each person staying the room. I don't eat the pastry but mine family did. It would have cost us $ 5-8 dollars each day had we have to buy them ourselves. They also have coffee and tea in the lobby.
The swimming pool is new and nice. The staffs are extremely nice and helpful.The housekeeper comes every day. Sure, the room is kinda noisy because there is so much traffic in Wakiki. But it comes w/ location. The hotel is 1/2 miles from the beach. If you want quietness in Oahu, you have to stay in the Turtle bay hote in north shore. I live in LA, the traffic in Wakiki is Comparable or worse than LA. There are about 10 ABCs stores w/ in 5 mins of walking distant.
Yes, the parking is $ 15.00 per day. But you get to park downstairs. The lobby isn't the 5 stars hotel setting it's very nice. I have to say that I was really happy w/ the room. My friend paid $ 300 for a night for a hotel w/ luxury lobby and ocean view but the room was stinky small. I paid under $ 180 for a delux suite w/ big patio and full kitchen. We would denifitely stay there agiain.

5  Thank Allison T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

san diego
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I had a good time at the Bamboo.. The staff was very nice and helpfull.. At first I was uneasy about staying at this hotel. By looking at the pictures that other people provided.. The hotel was not the best but the room was clean. Housekeeping came in everyday and changed our bedding and gave us new towls in the bathroom. They did a very good job with keeping the place clean.. No the hotel is not up to date but it was nice.. It was close to everyting food the stores and the beach.. What more can you ask for when everything was in walking distance..There was not that much street noise.. But I feel if u wanted to go to quiet island you should have went to Maui.. So I disagree with all the negative reviews that I read before I expierenced the hotel for myself.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 21, 2006

At the risk of this place becoming popular, I am telling you it is one of the best kept secrets in Waikiki! The pics attached are worth more than words, so look for yourself. I will just say The Bamboo is CLEAN (no ants/no uncleaned urine as in other reviews), the A/C is quiet (but who needs it when I had 2 lanais, both doors open to the wonderful Tradewinds), nicely decorated (not Goodwill furniture like the Royal Hawaiian), quiet (there aren't that many units per floor, and it is designed so that entry doors are few and far between, hence quiet), and most important for me FREE IN ROOM HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!!!! Just bring your laptop, ethernet cable, plug and surf! Oh, and parking is $15 a day, available in the building with advance reservation. I simply can't beleive all the previous bad reviews, and sure am glad I DIDN'T LISTEN TO THEM! The Bamboo is a gem, but shush: don't tell anyone!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank dakine94110
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 14, 2006

What a great little hotel! The lava rock fountain pool is surrounded by tropic decor which was relaxing and refreshing. The location it fantastic, block and half to Waikiki beach, tons of places to eat and shop. My room was on the 12th floor facing the ocean which gave us a great view. Make sure you don’t have a room facing the street side it will be very loud being the hotel is set on a main street. My room had a microwave and refrigerator which was nice being they bring you a continental breakfast every morning. The spa is nice and the front desk people are very nice and helpful. The only bad thing was the small full size beds; otherwise you can’t beat the value the Bamboo offers. I would stay here again…

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
vancouver
Reviewed June 11, 2006

it was great stay for us, i would not recomend average hotel room as they are too small and there is noise from the street, however superior rooms and one bedrooms are very nice, breakfast is free and they serve it in the room or by the swimming pool, food was very fresh & tasty, we are going back next year!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Crystal Lake, IL
Reviewed May 24, 2006

Had the priviledge of staying at the Bamboo on a recent vacation to Honolulu. The hotel is clean and well managed. The front desk staff was professional, attentive and courteous. The lobby and pool area are updated, well appointed and pleasingly decorated. Our room was small but comfortable...typical of most older buildings. You can't beat the location unless you want to pay 2-3x more for your room right on the beach. Top notch, elegant or fancy wouldn't be words I'd choose...but for a budget minded traveler looking for a clean place to sleep, bathe etc... you've got one. Run your air conditioner to kill some of the street noise that is abundant everywhere in Honolulu. The higher floor rooms obviously are better for this as well. Traveling by profession...I found this to be a very acceptible alternative to the high priced mainline hotels leaving more $$$ for the stuff you really want to do and see in Hawaii.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed May 15, 2006

For everyone complaining about street noise and outdated hotel....You get what you pay for. You can have what you want at the Hyatt for $250 a night. I loved it for the price and location. There is street noise in every city, so you folks probably aren't from the city, didn't bother me.

Stayed: April 2006