“Bad Experience”

Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 25, 2005

There were 6 couples of us that arrived on February 2nd with our Travel agent booking the rooms at Aqua Bamboo, being a big mistake on her part truly not researching the actual condition of this hotel and making it a very unpleasant experience for our trip to Hawaii. Upon arrival we should have all just left the hotel and moved elsewhere to much better accomodations but we all did stay in this Hell Hole as we were leaving on the 6th to go on the Norwegian Cruise Pride of Aloha. The rooms were very disgusting with carpet and drapes that appeared to have been there for many years and don't think they have ever been cleaned. The maids/housekeepers were very inefficient with their cleaning abilities. I only wish now that we had taken the time to pull up the reviews of other customers on this property before we arrived in Hawaii, but we all had faith in our travel agent that she knew what she was doing when she booked all of us in the hotel, but now is rather obvious she did not do her research for us to provide us decent accomations. I would never recommend this place to anybody.
The blankets they had on the beds were disgusting and I really think they purchased them at an Army Surplus store. All in all this was a very bad experience for all of us staying in this hotel.

12  Thank dsfenster

Reviewed February 15, 2005

Before we booked through a travel agent I took a look on the internet to see the hotel before making a final decision. The price was right but you never know. We based our decision on the internet pictures and they are totally misleading. They used a wide angle camera to make it appear the lobby was large and the guest room was probably the penthouse suite. Our room was small, filthy, smelly, and the bed was not a double it was a single with an extra foot added for width. Immediately, we went down to the front desk to get an upgrade and they didn't have anything available. We wasted two days of our vacation looking for a new hotel but everything was sold out due to the Pro Bowl. We were forced to stay there. Upon further inspection our bathroom had hair from the previous guests stuck to the wall. Mold everywhere and the light switches were grimey and the door jams, door knobs had finger prints all over them. The noise from the street was so loud my husband and I thought the sliding glass door wasn't closed. As we looked we noticed a large hole in the sheet rock in the corner of the room. We were up at five in the morning and didn't return until midnight just to avoid the room. The pool is not heated very small and the jacuzzi tub was out of service during the weekend. A tent at the beach would have been better than this place.

• Stayed: February 2005
9  Thank ToandLo
A TripAdvisor Member
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed February 13, 2005

I looked at the reviews in Tripadvisor before booking and thought..okay..no palace but should be okay...wrong!!!! We paid over $120 a night for a very ugly, beaten-up 1 bedroom unit. After checking into a unit we asked to be moved, the dirty kitchen and cigarette butt in the middle of the floor didn't convey it was very clean. The hotel moved us to the 6th floor. This room was marginally better. The kitchen was completely filthy. The fridge was very dirty, old food and crumbs were in the cupboards, couch was very dirty with a big hole in it. Before using the fridge we bought a cleaning solution and cleaned it ourselves. The carpet was also very soiled. The bathroom had what looked like black mold or fungus all along the ceiling. The room smelled and the snot/hair mix on the bathroom wall was the last straw. The cleaning staff at this place should be ashamed. We were glad we were able to check out early and stay at the Iilikai. Using Hotwire, we had a 300% better room for the same price. The Iilikai made you feel you could relax versus the Bamboo. I don't understand what rooms people stayed in in previous reviews but both rooms they gave us were terrible. I will NEVER stay there again and I have stayed in so..so places before without complaint. I am not picky but for $120 you should be able to expect more...Stay somewhere else...do yourself the favour. I have never written a review before but felt compelled to help others by writing this one. The one good thing about the Bamboo is the lobby looks attractive and has some nice peices of Asian art/furniture. The staff were also friendly but didn't do much about the room situation.

• Stayed: January 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
washington dc
Reviewed January 18, 2005

This summer my husband and I took our first trip to Hawaii, and since it was our first trip ever, we decided to stay at a nice hotel. After searching through the internet, we decided on the Aqua Bamboo, because it was depicted as a cute, boutique, hip hotel. Unbeknownst to me, this was the worst decision we could have made. The only thing "hip" about this hotel is the lobby, which you wouldn't want to hang out in for too long because ther is no restaurant or bar. Our room was large, but old, dirty, and poorly lit. The kitchen and bathroom had small bugs everywhere. The only thing worse than the visual deception at Aqua Bamboo would be the completely unattentive staff, whom not only never cleaned our room, but didn't even make our bed! One of the days we were in Hawaii, we took a jungle tour and returned to the hotel with some dirt on our shoes, which ended up scattered around the room. This dirt (not ground in mud - just clumps of dirt) stayed in the room for the rest of our trip. The room was never vacuumed - not once in a WEEK. The only time we had clean (not really clean - smelled bad, were thin, and had stains on them) sheets and/or towels, we had to ask for them - TWICE. Oh, and FYI - the building was being shown to potential CONDO buyers while we were there - which might be the reason they have done so much work in the lobby, and none in the rooms. In conclusion, Aqua Bamboo is dirty and poorly attended to, and far from the "boutique" they portray themselves as running. It's not worth your money - no, not even if it's that cheap. Go somewhere else.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2005

We stayed at the Bamboo for 10 nights over the New Years holiday. I do have issues: maid service was horrible (found an old dirty diaper under the bed), they tried to bill me twice for a $400 partial payment that I had to dispute with the gentleman at the front desk (apparently my payment had disappeared, but they found it when I produced a receipt???), parking was a joke (especially for 12 dollars a day), I still have a large hold on funds even though my bill has been paid in full (apparently they can't release until 10 days are up, in case some other charges appear????), the guy that works the overnight shift was very unhelpful to the point of being rude, I asked why the kitchen had no microwave and was told they only had 15 and that I should have asked for one when I checked in (who knew?), the room had a very distinct "odd" odor, the bed was extremely uncomfortable, etc., etc., etc.

However...I did not expect the Taj Mahal with the price that I paid...the location was excellent!!!!...the street noise was very bad, but the hotel can not be blamed for that (with the door closed and AC on, it really helped)....Kahea the "manager" was very pleasant to deal with, several other young woman that worked the desk we're very nice...they comped my in room safe fee....honored the original price for parking when it had apparently gone up on Jan 1 (even though the guy previously mentioned was unwilling to do so)....pool area was very nice...cool decor in the lobby....we felt very safe and welcome...free paper in the morning...comp cocktail on Thursday night...hot jacuzzi (but small)...very pretty property.

Now the million dollar question, would I do it again? Probably not, but mostly because of the street noise. The hotel could kick the maid service up a notch, add additional microwaves and give the rooms and overall "cleansing"...but all and all it was nothing we couldn't deal with and again the location was unbeatable!

I did check out a hotel called The Breakers on Beachwalk...about the same price, bigger rooms, VERY QUIET...we'll more than likely stay there next time. We travel with two children so we need a private room wherever we go. Frankly if it were just me and the wife, I would pass on both of these hotels and go with a beach front property (i.e. the Moana or Sheraton, but most of those hotels do not have reasonably priced one room suites w/ kitchens).

I know I can be long winded, but I hope this will help someone. If you want a place to crash, with a great location, and you can deal with small but irritating issues...enjoy the Bamboo...if not...go somewhere else...

Aloha!

5  Thank KamaainaHaole
Reviewed December 20, 2004

We stayed at Aqua Bamboo 11/30 and 12/1/04. Upon check-in, we were immediately upgraded to a Deluxe Room with a view of the pool and full kitchen, even though we had only reserved a basic room for $72 per night! What a deal! The decor was very nice and the beds appeared newer and linens were clean. The balcony overlooking the pool was very enjoyable. The kitchen and bath fixtures could have used an upgrade and the carpet needed a thorough cleaning. The only other issue was that we had no hot water for a period of time. However, management was very accomodating and allowed us to use another room's shower so we could get on with our day. The hot water was back in service that night. The lobby was very beautifully decorated and the pool well kept. It was fairly quiet most of the time (of course we were there during the off season) We found our two-day stay to be quite pleasant. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Waikiki Beach. It is also across the street from a bus stop that takes you to Pearl Harbor.

1  Thank Bman32
Reviewed December 18, 2004

We stayed at this hotel in November 2004 for 10 days. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit.Our room was nice,the kitchen was very clean and more than adequate,the beds comfortable.We used the pool area to sit and have a coffee in the sunshine every day followed by a swim in the pool.The pool was very clean as we watched the pool man clean it every morning. We found the staff very helpful in every way and have no hesitation in going back for another visit.We stayed in a Studio Deluxe overlooking the courtyard.

• Stayed: November 2004