“Budget Vaca” 4 of 5 bubbles

Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Budget Vaca”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here with my husband for a short spur of the moment visit to Oahu. After diligently searching all sorts of travel search engines and seeing Aqua Bamboo come up in every search, we decided to give it a try. Great value for price. We immediately received an upgraded suite upon our arrival. Contemporary with an "old school" Hawaiian flare, Spacious suite with kitchenette, bathroom with separate shower and tub, large sitting area with large windows and TV. The King size bed was comfy with tons of cloud like pillows, the bed was also "sectioned" off from the sitting area, for privacy if traveling with a group. This opened up to a small balcony looking at the city. Front desk was friendly. The only downside was that parking was full and had to park at a garage in the next building.

I really loved the free beach towels, you get a rental card for the towel, just turn in your dirty towel and get another rental card until you end your visit. There's also free beach gear..pretty cool =)

The back side of the hotel was super cute, great pool, cool looking lanai's. We didn't take advantage of the free activities that the hotel provided but there is a long list, early AM beach yoga, breakfast buffet, etc.

It was conveniently located about a block and a half from the main strip in Waikiki, super close to eateries and shopping. It was a comfortable stay at Aqua Bamboo especially if you're looking to travel on a budget and want a comfy place to sleep at night.

3 Thank Spideybriefs
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Aloha Spideybriefs,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Aqua Bamboo Waikiki. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.
We are thrilled that you found the hotel to be a great value for your needs and that you enjoyed your comfy upgraded suite. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed the many amenities the hotel offers, such as beach amenities.
On behalf of all of us at Aqua Hotels & Resorts, we appreciate your patronage and look forward to serving you again in the future! Thank you very much for all your positive comments and we look forward to your next visit!

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Good location for a first time visit to Oahu. We had a very short walk to the beach. Don't forget to ask to borrow beach toys & chairs. Off site parking was at first confusing. Staff was mostly friendly. Nice but small pool. Kitchenette in the room was a convenience.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank JoanBF
Aloha JoanBF,

We are pleased that you found the location of the hotel and the convenient kitchenette to benefit you during your stay with us. We regret that it seems we missed our mark on a few occasions and we will address these issues with our teams.
On behalf of all of us at Aqua Hotels & Resorts, we appreciate your patronage and look forward to serving you again in the future! Thank you very much for all your comments and we look forward to your next visit!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Aqua Bamboo for our first visit to Waikiki. This is a great hotel. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are very modern. We were upgraded to a bigger room with a pool view- Thank You!!! I love the pool area- very clean and quiet and I felt I was in an oasis. For a small hotel there is a lot of staff and they kept it immaculate. The location is excellent and only about 5 minute walk to the beach. It's in central Waikiki so everything is in walking distance. Free Wi-FI in common areas and free coffee and ice tea in the lobby. I would definitely come back to the Bamboo for my next visit. Thank You.

4 Thank Sakura1688
Aloha Sakura1688,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your upgraded Courtyard View room and our tropical and serene pool area. We are also very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly, the hotel to be clean and the convenient location to benefit you during your stay with us. It is wonderful that you benefited from our many complimentary amenities such as wifi and refreshing beverages in the lobby.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

My Partner booked this hotel for our five days stay in Oahu. I wasn't too sure what to expect and after a 22 hour journey to Hawaii I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. As soon as we arrived the hotel staff were more than friendly, they were very informative and took time out to assist us. Our room was very clean. After we checked into our room, i realised that my best friend had been in contact with the hotel and informed them that we were on our anniversary, it was evident that we were upgraded and we were provided with a bottle of champagne and some chocolates. I thought this was a lovely touch and I was overwhelmed...thank you. My only gripe with the hotel is that it would be great to have some ventilation in the bathroom. The hotel itself is in a great location, it's in walking distance to everything in waikiki. The hotel have nice touches like providing beach towels. They also have complimentary ice tea or lemon water which is so refreshing after being in the gruelling heat outside. For the price we paid for the hotel, we cannot complain.I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if you want a lovely hotel and are on a budget.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor. Also one with a kitchenette, good for saving money!
3 Thank Saintlysinner
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Aloha Saintlysinner,

We are very pleased that we were able to welcome you with the warm Aloha Spirit from our staff and that you enjoyed the amenities and upgrade for your Anniversary. We are also thrilled that you enjoyed the location of the hotel along with our many complimentary amenities such as beach towels and refreshing beverages in the lobby.

Richmond Hill, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here for 13 nights with my wife and two small children (3 years, 5 months) in early October. I am not in the habit of writing negative or critical reviews, but in the end we had more issues with Aqua Bamboo than we’d like. We were also considering the Outrigger Launa (similar price and amenities) and we would try that next time.

Price: We booked via Expedia and paid ~$280/night for the hotel (1 Bedroom + Full Kitchen) and a full size rental car.

Before we arrived – Crib Request: I emailed the hotel a week prior to our arrival to request a crib be put in our room before we get there, as we would be arriving late. They responded promptly letting me know it wouldn’t be an issue, and reminding me of the $30/day charge. I was floored - cribs have been offered for free in every other hotel we have ever stayed at! I checked their website and Expedia, and the charge is listed, so they weren’t making it up. I called them, and (very politely) enquired about the fee - surely it must be $30/stay, not $30/day - that would be well over $400. When told it was in fact $30/day, I asked if they thought that was reasonable. "Well, that's what we charge..." I asked to speak with a manager, who was not available at the time, so we arranged to have one call me back. Nicole called me two days later and offered to charge me $15/day, and when I protested she offered to waive the charge. I am glad she called me back and took care of it, but it was a hassle as I started looking into alternatives such as taking or buying a Pack N Play. Wait until you see the picture of the crib…

Check In: We arrived around 11pm after a long flight and short (20 min) drive from the Airport. I was disappointed to find out I couldn’t park at the Aqua for the first two nights of our stay, and that I would have to park next door at the Pacific Monarch – the price is the same ($20/day) but they apparently are very strict and required me to sign a waver. Strange. Anyway, we were given room 504 and I was surprised to find it was 1-Bedroom with Kitchenette vs. the Full Kitchen week had booked. I went downstairs to ask to be moved into the type of room we had booked, and the woman at the front desk didn’t know that our room did not have a Full Kitchen - she even asked me if I looked everywhere for it (the room is only ~600 sq ft large). She did not want to reassign me because she wasn’t sure which rooms have Full Kitchens, and then she decided they were all occupied, so I would have to be moved the next day. I expressed my disappointment that they did not have the room I had booked months ago ready, and let them know that being moved the next day would be a major inconvenience given we had two small children with us and a tonne of luggage. I also let them know that I planned to grocery shop for our two week stay the next morning and that not having the full size fridge available would be a problem. They tried to blame the problem on Expedia (they mess up room types) and then on me (I should have booked directly with the hotel.) I told them that this was getting off on the wrong foot, I parked in the garage next door, which ended up being a four-story walk-up (no elevator!) and went back to the room annoyed, to find my wife and the kids in a room booked for four that only had towels and bedding for two. I called the front desk and additional linen quickly arrived, along with the promise to move us to a room on the 8th Floor the next day. The next day we got up and went shopping, and were allowed to put our groceries in the refrigerator in the new room (807) while it was being cleaned. By 4pm the next day we were finally situated. Not a great start.

Location: The location is great on Kuhio Ave, just two blocks from the beach. Lots of places to eat nearby, as well as a Food Pantry store. The International Marketplace is just a couple of blocks away, as well as all of the shopping and action on Kalahaua.

Coffee: Both the coffee in the room, and the coffee available in the lobby, was weak and terrible. They didn’t have a normal coffee maker in our room (it was a single serve one that takes packets instead) so we couldn’t buy coffee and make our own. Strange, as we had heard coffee is Hawaii is great.

Parking: $20/night. When we did park inside we found a very small (very old) garage with room for around a dozen cars. It’s really tight down there; we had a full size car and had to be careful parking. I would contact the hotel in advance if you require parking during your stay.

Room: Our room was as expected given the photos available on Trip Advisor. We had two twin beds in the main living area with a flat screen TV, office table and chair, and small breakfast table with chairs for two. There was a full size stove and fridge, microwave, single use coffee maker, and stocked kitchen. We had to request wine glasses and a cork screw from the front desk. The bathroom and bedroom had everything you would expect, as well as a safe in the closet big enough for a laptop. There was only 1 dresser for the four of us, so we had to request additional clothing hangars from the front desk as only 5 were provided. Our room was north facing on Kuhio so we did have some traffic noise (especially the bus) which was somewhat offset by the very loud air conditioners in each room. Although we had sliding glass doors to get outside, the balcony was very small and had no furniture.

Internet: Wireless in the lobby and pool area, but wired in the room. I knew this in advance and was prepared, but could see it being a hassle for those traveling with ipads. I even found being wired to be inconvenient after the first couple days.

Sanctuary / Pool Area: This is the best part of the hotel. A nice-sized salt water pool (no chlorine smell) and small 4 person hot tub, in a well shaded area with palm trees and other plants. There are lots of loungers and a few day beds, as well as tables for people who bring food and drinks. There is a BBQ Grill for guest use, as well as a sink. Bathrooms on the pool deck are always locked, presumably for security reasons, but running to the front desk to get the key for my toddler every 20 minutes wasn’t fun.

Manager’s Reception: We attended the first Thursday and had a few Bamboozles and some snacks. The music was nice, and it was the busiest the pool area was our whole stay. It was a fun thing to do before heading out to watch the sunset and have dinner.

Beach Stuff: They provide cards for beach towels available at the front desk (lost cards = $15). They also have lightweight beach chairs and boogie boards/floating toys for people to take to the beach.

Smoking: The hotel is non-smoking (most are in Waikiki), and they require you to sign a contract on check in that says there is a $350 cleaning charge if you smoke. Unfortunately the guy in the room next to us for ~5 days either didn’t care, and was heavily smoking marijuana at all hours in his room or on his balcony. The smell was so strong it was like someone was smoking in our room. We complained each time we could smell it (4 or 5 times) and they didn’t really do anything about it. They told us he had been charged the cleaning fee twice, and the last time we complained they offered to move us to a different room. I flatly declined the offer as we were not the ones breaking the rules (and law) and that moving would be a major issue given the amount of stuff we had unpacked. They called the room later saying they had threatened to call the police if he did it again.

Service: Overall the service just wasn’t great. I sent a case of beer to my parent’s room before they checked in, and asked that it be put in their fridge so it would be cold when they arrived. They found the case sitting on the floor in front of their fridge, and had to go to the store for cold beer. On another occasion I dropped my credit card in the elevator and it fell down the shaft. I alerted the front desk and they told me to cancel the card as it cost $350/hour to have the elevator technician come and retrieve it. I tried again the next day (it was a different lady) and she had the card for us no problem an hour later. Strange.

Check Out: I requested late check out at 4pm (our flight was not until 6:30pm) and was told I could only stay until 2pm, although there was no extra change. When I did check out it was quick and easy, the only charges were for parking ($20/day for 11 nights.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MikeInThornhill
Aloha MikeInThornhill,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention. We hope that you will accept our sincere apology for failing to meet your expectations and for the inconveniences that you endured. We truly value your patronage and appreciate your honest feedback.
We deeply regret that we missed our opportunity to impress you during your stay. We fell short in many areas mentioned and we will eagerly tend to our improvement in these areas. I welcome you to email me at nyoshimoto@aquaresorts.com so I may look further into the discrepancies you encountered. Pease know that the entire team at the Aqua Bamboo Waikiki is committed to taking the necessary steps to ensure that this experience is not repeated.
We truly appreciate your selection of the Aqua Bamboo Waikiki and we hope that you will consider giving us a second chance in the future.

Wailuku, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We returned to the Aqua Bamboo for a quick overnight visit to Oahu and found the whole experience WONDERFUL. From the moment we checked in to the check out the next morning all expectations were met. The front desk and valet staff are exceptional. My wife and I do a lot of traveling and the service is equal to that of five star resorts. I especially enjoyed the complementary coffee iced tea and lemon water, very refreshing after a long walk around Waikiki. The location of this hotel is perfect for shopping the beach and dining. My final comment on this property is the cost. The old saying that you get what you pay for does not apply to this property, you get a whole lot more. This is a great hotel with reasonable rates.

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the pool area. There is a waterfall and cabanas and look like a oasis...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Randy D
aquabamboo1, Guest Relations Manager at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Aloha Randy D,

We are very pleased to hear that you found our convenient location to benefit you and that you feel our hotel is a great value. We are also thrilled that you enjoyed our many complimentary amenities such as beverages and you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating.

We truly appreciate your continued support of the Aqua Bamboo Waikiki and look forward to seeing you back in the years to come!

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was our main stay in waikiki and we found it to be a great option. Clean room with good air con and decent size bathroom. Staff were very helpful and there is free wi-fi in the lobby.
Only extra comment would be that Lonely Planet states that the aqua hotels include breakfast in the price - according to the staff they stopped doing this in 2010.

2 Thank Julesr_7
Aloha Jules_7771,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your clean room and complimentary wifi in the lobby. We are also pleased that you found the staff to be friendly. We apologize that you found some outdated information on Lonely Planet, and we will do our best to get that information updated.