My husband and I stayed here for 1 night on the last night of our honeymoon. (We had only 1 night in Honolulu.) From the website photos and Trip Advisor info, we were expecting a cute, little, modern boutique hotel, and that's not really the case.
The lobby is an assault on the senses - so much decoration, knick-knacks, and scents! There was an overpowering peppermint smell that had us flying through the lobby any time we had to pass through there. It wasn't necessarily a bad smell, but it was so strong, you felt like you were living inside a York Peppermint Patty. Strange.
The pool was also not super appealing. We walked out there to check it out, and the hot tub was tiny, cold, and did not look like water we would want to get in.
Our room was run down, and it felt like we were staying in someone's apartment. The furniture is mismatched and not in great shape - The decor looks like a bachelor's apartment who is just out of college and has been collecting friend's furniture (we even had a futon covered in a sheet in the living room.) It was just a little odd. However, it was CLEAN which is critical (except for the random Solo cup under the sink cabinet - again, reminiscent of a young guy's bachelor pad!) The window unit AC does rattle, as I read in another review.
It appeared that people individually own the rooms and perhaps the hotel rents them out nightly? Like a condotel? This may be the reason for the rooms not looking nearly as good as the website. Perhaps each room looks somewhat different because of different owners?
That said, the good things were: friendly staff, very affordable, clean, and very good location (walking distance to lots of great stuff.)
All in all, it was just an odd little place. Not quirky fun odd, just plain odd. We would not return. We'd rather pay a little extra for an overall better experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aqua Bamboo Waikiki is an intimate, Southeast Asian-inspired, boutique hotel located 1 1/2 blocks to the beach. If you're looking for a true oasis in the heart of Waikiki with a lush outer sanctuary including an outdoor pool with waterfall, jet spa, barbeque grill and cabana, look no further. With our hospitality fee, Aqua Bamboo allows guests to enjoy many hotel services and activities without having to incur miscellaneous charges. These amenities include WiFi Internet throughout the hotel and in guest rooms, DVDNow (Unlimited movies & PS3 games), Beach Towel and Chair rentals, Waikiki Shuttle Service, Daily Newspaper, In Room Coffee, In Room Safe, Local & Toll-Free Calls, Water in Lobby, and a Weekly Manager's Reception. In addition, studios and suites include a 32-inch LCD TV, mini-refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, stove-top and energy saving sensors for our guest rooms. Located poolside, The Lovin' Oven creates unique hand-tossed Artisan pizzas using fresh, local ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Aqua-Aston Hospitality, LLC, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aqua Bamboo Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aqua Bamboo Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Aqua Bamboo Hotel
- Aqua Bamboo Honolulu
- Aqua Bamboo And Spa
- Aqua Bamboo Waikiki Hawaii/Honolulu