“Just okay”

The Imperial Hawaii Resort at Waikiki
Ranked #58 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed at the imperial January 20 - 26. We were in a Koa Suite which is a Corner unit. We had #807. It was okay. It was in the middle of Waikiki in a decent location but our view was just of the street and other peoples hotel rooms across the way. And it was very noisy with trucks making deliveries early in the mornings with their backup beeping and trash trucks and so forth. It is pretty old and could use a good carpet cleaning and new paint and the bathrooms redone if nothing else. They show a photo in their website of a Koa suite with a magnificent ocean view but in reality, very few rooms have that view unless you are in a very high floor to see over the top of the Halekulani across the street. The pool is up on the top floor surrounded by a brick wall so no view from up there either. Without a balcony with an ocean view there wasn't really anything to do there unless you went to one of the resorts and bought something to sit in their bar with a view or unless you went down to the beach itself. I worked out in the gym one time but it was so hot in there I couldn't stand it.

Food in Waikiki is really expensive and it just wasn't really our kind of place. The days we rented a car and went away from Honolulu were the best days. Also, we asked in the lobby about renting a car and were told that because it was Pro Bowl week, rates were high but he could get us a "discount" of $89 per day for a compact. We walked down the street and had a choice of 3 different companies each offering cars for about $55 per day. All in all, we wouldn't choose to stay there again. Without a view, it's just a rundown hotel in a noisy expensive city.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MelissaAk

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed here for several weeks. Let me start by saying that the location is unbeatable - down the end of Lewers Street, and across the road from a number of narrow alleyways, any of which will lead you straight onto Waikiki Beach.

PROS:
Apart from location which is also close to bus stops, trolley stops and all the major attractions and hotels in Waikiki, the decor in the lobby and rooms is tropical and Hawaiian so you feel like you are in Hawaii.

For what you get, it is very good value for money.

The mattresses on the beds were turned over twice weekly which I thought demonstrated a degree of caring for the guests which I have not experienced elsewhere.

Most of the facilities at this hotel were very good - There is a guest laundry which was very convenient; ice machines on two floors; a swimming pool, jacuzzi; exercise room, non denominational religious service each Sunday; signs on every floor near the lifts with upcoming activities around Waikiki, an ABC store next door, 2 clothing/gift shops in the lobby, Denny's chain restaurant and Happy Hour drinks once a week.

The male staff, in particular the two managers, were absolutely delightful to deal with and resolved minor issues quickly, efficiently and graciously and took on a more complex issue until it was satisfactorily resolved. They are an absolute asset to that Hotel.

Mac, the guy at the activities desk, was really lovely and very helpful.

The Hawaiian cleaning lady was really lovely and efficient.

CONS
I cannot be as complimentary with the female staff with one in particular at the Front Desk needing either a new job or complete retraining. My dealings with her were not conducive to a relaxing vacation and unfortunately I was not the only guest to find her manner abrasive, rude and unpleasant. The same can be said of the Filipina cleaning lady in the laundry.

The hotel is across the road from a number of restaurants and bars, so a certain amount of noise is to be expected. The problem was the drunken revellers in the early hours of the morning and the sound of reversing trucks made some nights more difficult to sleep when staying on the lower floors. This problem however was not experienced if one stayed on the higher floors.

Air conditioning - There was difficulty operating the air conditioning leading to some uncomfortable nights sleep.

Lack of Business Centre - this hotel is marketed as a resort and guests are charged a resort fee of $6 per day but there are no computers available to guests who either have difficulty accessing their emails via wi-fi in their rooms or do not bring smartphones or such devices with them on vacation. The only computer available is one laptop at the front desk which is purportedly only for the printing of boarding passes but is not signposted as such and with a policy which is arbitrarily implemented.

For anyone visiting Waikiki, you will be hard pressed to find better value or location for your money.

Room Tip: Stay at the higher levels and you will avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank tropicgirl39
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My family and I have been staying at the Imperial since 1980 and it's gone through a lot of changes, with more to come. Renovations are planned, but don't expect high-end refurbishment. It's destined to be a middle-income hotel/condo so the prices should stay reasonable, compared to the Trump Tower and the new Ritz Carlton. That means the other 99% of us can at least afford to stay somewhere nice when we visit Hawaii.

The location is ideal: 1/2 block from Waikiki Beach, and 1 block from Kalakaua (the main drag). An ABC store is right downstairs and parking is available. Lewers Street had gotten a bit classier over the years, but you can still find some reasonable stores, if you look hard enough, including stores that sell products that are locally made in Hawaii.

The rooftop pool is a nice alternative to the beach, with sun from about 9 am to 3 pm. The Owners' Lounge on the 26th floor provides specatular views of Waikiki Beach, the ocean, and the Hilton fireworks.

The staff is EXCELLENT, especially the valets. These guys work hard and are very nice to me each and every time.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Nicolle Z
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The week before Christmas we (five of us) in a one bedroom apartment on floor 10 (glimpse of water). Room was ok double bed, single murphy and double sofa (very comfortable) plus kitchen area (only used this area for breakfast). Dinner was on the amazing floor 26 common area for sunset dinners plus photos! Visits to ABC store was a lift trip away along with a short walk to beach and main shopping area. Staff were no different to any other place I have to - helpful

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank markmik
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I just returned from Hawaii on Tuesday, Dec. 24. We stayed at the Imperial from Dec.18-23, 2013. Everything was fine about the hotel except the location of the room. They put us on the 7th floor and I could hear EVERYTHING that was happening on the streets below. We checked into the hotel late Wednesday and got straight into bed. I could hear people yelling, horns blowing, motorcycles revving their engines. It took me a long time to get to sleep.

The next morning first thing my daughter and I did was get up and go to the front desk to see if we could switch rooms. I was told I had to go to 2nd floor reservations and so we did. The woman at the front desk up there was rude. She was not at all considerate or caring. It was all about "business." She said she may have a room on the same side of the building and I said that was fine as long as it was much higher. She then told me about the $50.00 cleaning fee. WHAT!!! $50.00 to change sheets on a bed because that's literally all I did in that room. Absolutely ridiculous. I hadn't unpacked a thing. I literally plopped on the bed and slept in my clothes. Or shall I say "tried" to sleep! Well, I walked away and was really upset the entire day but had to let it go so I could enjoy myself without the stress. Each night was the same except come Monday morning, Dec. 23rd I was awakened at 5:52am by the trash truck, I'm guessing anyway. And they must have had 20 trash cans to pick-up because the noise seemed to last forever!!! I couldn't get myself back to sleep and it was my last morning to sleep in. For this reason, and the lack of respect and caring, I will never stay at this place again.

I am a timeshare owner and have paid thousands of dollars over the years for the timeshare and maintenance fees. I exchanged one of my locations for the Imperial and I would THINK I would be treated with more consideration and kindness!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are a MUST if you want some good sleep!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DisappointedLB
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We spent 2 weeks at The Imperial in November. Excellent service from all staff and they could not be more helpful and friendly. The location is one of the best in Honolulu. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen consisting of dishwasher, fridge, full sized oven (I even cooked a turkey), microwave, toaster etc. - just fully equipped. We had 2 bathrooms and two TV's. Could not have asked for anything more. The sunsets from the lounge on the 26th floor are just stunning. We will be back next year.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the lower floors on Lewers Street side as there is no view except for the li...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2013

..and would never go anywhere else. Best value for money in Waikiki. Love The Imperial. The location is just the best, the staff are very friendly and helpful - the rooms spacious and nice linen too.

The Ocean Suite bar is not open every night but is well worth a visit when it is - sunsets are gorgeous and the Mango Chi Chis worth coming back for.

ABC conveniently downstairs is a great bonus too and open early to late.

Room Tip: Some of the one bedrooms have two large beds in the bedroom which is great if you are travelling wit...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends