“Clean, Friendly, WOW!”

Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Calgary, Canada
“Clean, Friendly, WOW!”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

AAAAAwesome hotel. I believe the last reviewer mentioning pests in the hotel must be A:Nuts, or some jealous competition for the hotel.

This is the cleanest hotel ive ever been in, and absolutely perfect for someone looking for a nice place for around $100/nt. We paid $107.

It has a full kitchen in even the basic room we're in, oven/stove, comes with everything you need, dishes, pots, pans, apartment size fridge (not a little bar fridge), coffee maker, sink (w/garbeurator...!), cutlery, two queen beds. it's location is perfect we just park in their FREE parking (no trouble finding a spot so far) and walk around waikiki, theres a pub close by, dennys close by, beach close by, etc etc. SUPER CLEAN. the air conditioner is not noisy if you just turn the fan to low, even on high its not bad imo. You will NOT regret staying here. super friendly staff too. its not a honey moon resort kind of place, if thats what your looking for, but me and my girlfriend loved it and will absolutely return.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff if its possible for a better view im sure they can accomodate.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brandon C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 6, 2011

If you want a "spa" hotel on the beach, the Ilima Hotel, with it's delightful retro look, is not for you. Unbeatable value, free parking, large rooms, fully equipped kitchens, deck, dipping pool and friendly staff make it a great home away from home and base for exploring. For those who value heart over luxury and don't mind a short walk to the beach. Ask for a room on one of the upper floors on the canal side with it's amazing views and less city noise.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jacqueline b
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We've stayed in this small hotel in the heart of Waikiki a number of times and never been disappointed. The main reason we stay here is the size of the rooms and the price. The rooms are large studios with a kitchenette, well equipped and with full size appliances - ideal for those who don't wish to eat all of their meals out. This hotel has friendly staff, a travel desk, internet, a small quiet outdoor pool and exercise room. This hotel also has free parking. This hotel has a great location - 2 blocks from the Food Pantry, 1 block from Dukes Lane, 3 blocks from the beach. Just a few steps from the Ala Wai Canal, we had a north-facing room with gorgeous views of the canal, mountains and golf course and a convenient place to do our early morning walks. It was lovely to sit on the lanai with our morning coffee and watch the outrigger canoes going up and down the canal. This is a quiet hotel, especially if you can get a room that is not facing the street. We love this hotel and plan to stay here on our next trip to Waikiki.

Room Tip: Book a room above the 4th floor and on the mountain side of the building to get the canal view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelpuss55
SF
Reviewed August 25, 2011

So apparently I booked a hotel room at Ilima Hotel for 3: my boyfriend, myself and a damn cockroach.

And apparently, Mr. Cockroach was a quiet, little thing because it didn't show up until my last day in Hawaii.

Crawling. Dying. Right by the stove. Still convulsing. Still twitching. Still slightly alive.

Sexy.

I assume he was trying to warn me about Ilima Hotel because it seemed as though he found management's strategically placed poison (probably under the stove) and decided his last dying wish was to be seen.

Well, HALLELUJAH, you got your wish!

And to make matters worst, when I saw that his antennas were still fidgeting around, I screamed at my boyfriend to "take care of it" and he did so with an empty beer bottle.

Classy.

The absolute worst part of this situation? I told the front desk while we were checking out and all I got was an apology. Something like this:

"Oh no. Sorry..."

Serious? I was completely disgusted. And while some may think this was a one time deal, consider this:

- There was an ORKIN TRUCK parked outside the hotel.
- I found BUG TRAPS under BOTH our BEDS.

The required 1 star is for:

+ FREE PARKING: Parking spaces are like ones found in SF - CRAMPED. So WORTH IT if you have a car. So NOT WORTH IT if you park like an idiot.

HOWEVER, I value my hygiene wayyyyy too much to stay here again. Not even free parking can lure me back!

If you absolutely MUST stay here, do not pay more than $100/night.

Room Tip: Research extensively online for the best deals.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tina408
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My wife, son and I stayed at the Ilima from Aug. 9-12, 2011 and really enjoyed it. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room on the 14th floor looking west toward the ocean was great ... spacious, clean, with a nice small kitchen which worked well for our needs. The free parking worked out well for us, which was great, as it's next-to-impossible to find parking on the street. The Ilima is a short walk to the International Marketplace, Kuhio St. with its family-friendly and affordable restaurants, and also to Kalakaua and its higher-end action. Our only complaint is that our beds were a bit harder than we like, but it would not keep us from coming back on a future visit. All-in-all, a great bargain and a great location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave B
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We spent 5 days in the Standard Studio suite in Ilima hotel. This is a large comfortable suite with very well equipped kitchenette. The room was very clean and tidy. It is located right in the heart of Waikiki (close to bus line, drugstore, restaurants, markets and the beach). It provides free parking which is “must have” in Honolulu as well as free high-speed internet access. Staff was very welcoming and friendly. We will surely go back there in our next visit to Oahu.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tuvals
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My stay was from July 19th to August 9th. Thanks to "Courtni" (a manager), I was able to get a smoking room for the duration of my stay!

Pros: Smoking rooms available; Kitchenettes; Larger than average room size; Furnished lani; Daily housekeeping; Nice, well stocked bathroom; Great TV (with more channels than the average hotel); Quiet hotel (never heard my "neighbors"); AC had a remote control; Free morning newspaper; Free parking for guests (first-come, first-served); Convenient location; Friendly and very accommodating staff.

Cons: are you kidding? I can't say there were any cons that warrant a mention here.

ALL hotel staff were very nice and happy to accommodate their guests. I especially thought that Courtni, Drina and Robin went beyond "the call of duty"!
I love this hotel and hope to stay there again!

Room Tip: If you happen to be a smoker, book a Superior Studio or Deluxe Studio (9th and 10th floors are for u...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo