“Huge Room, Great Location and Price”
Review of Ilima Hotel

Ilima Hotel
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We've stayed in this small hotel in the heart of Waikiki a number of times and never been disappointed. The main reason we stay here is the size of the rooms and the price. The rooms are large studios with a kitchenette, well equipped and with full size appliances - ideal for those who don't wish to eat all of their meals out. This hotel has friendly staff, a travel desk, internet, a small quiet outdoor pool and exercise room. This hotel also has free parking. This hotel has a great location - 2 blocks from the Food Pantry, 1 block from Dukes Lane, 3 blocks from the beach. Just a few steps from the Ala Wai Canal, we had a north-facing room with gorgeous views of the canal, mountains and golf course and a convenient place to do our early morning walks. It was lovely to sit on the lanai with our morning coffee and watch the outrigger canoes going up and down the canal. This is a quiet hotel, especially if you can get a room that is not facing the street. We love this hotel and plan to stay here on our next trip to Waikiki.

Room Tip: Book a room above the 4th floor and on the mountain side of the building to get the canal view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelpuss55

Reviewed August 25, 2011

So apparently I booked a hotel room at Ilima Hotel for 3: my boyfriend, myself and a damn cockroach.

And apparently, Mr. Cockroach was a quiet, little thing because it didn't show up until my last day in Hawaii.

Crawling. Dying. Right by the stove. Still convulsing. Still twitching. Still slightly alive.

Sexy.

I assume he was trying to warn me about Ilima Hotel because it seemed as though he found management's strategically placed poison (probably under the stove) and decided his last dying wish was to be seen.

Well, HALLELUJAH, you got your wish!

And to make matters worst, when I saw that his antennas were still fidgeting around, I screamed at my boyfriend to "take care of it" and he did so with an empty beer bottle.

Classy.

The absolute worst part of this situation? I told the front desk while we were checking out and all I got was an apology. Something like this:

"Oh no. Sorry..."

Serious? I was completely disgusted. And while some may think this was a one time deal, consider this:

- There was an ORKIN TRUCK parked outside the hotel.
- I found BUG TRAPS under BOTH our BEDS.

The required 1 star is for:

+ FREE PARKING: Parking spaces are like ones found in SF - CRAMPED. So WORTH IT if you have a car. So NOT WORTH IT if you park like an idiot.

HOWEVER, I value my hygiene wayyyyy too much to stay here again. Not even free parking can lure me back!

If you absolutely MUST stay here, do not pay more than $100/night.

Room Tip: Research extensively online for the best deals.
5  Thank Tina408
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My wife, son and I stayed at the Ilima from Aug. 9-12, 2011 and really enjoyed it. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room on the 14th floor looking west toward the ocean was great ... spacious, clean, with a nice small kitchen which worked well for our needs. The free parking worked out well for us, which was great, as it's next-to-impossible to find parking on the street. The Ilima is a short walk to the International Marketplace, Kuhio St. with its family-friendly and affordable restaurants, and also to Kalakaua and its higher-end action. Our only complaint is that our beds were a bit harder than we like, but it would not keep us from coming back on a future visit. All-in-all, a great bargain and a great location.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We spent 5 days in the Standard Studio suite in Ilima hotel. This is a large comfortable suite with very well equipped kitchenette. The room was very clean and tidy. It is located right in the heart of Waikiki (close to bus line, drugstore, restaurants, markets and the beach). It provides free parking which is “must have” in Honolulu as well as free high-speed internet access. Staff was very welcoming and friendly. We will surely go back there in our next visit to Oahu.

1  Thank Tuvals
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My stay was from July 19th to August 9th. Thanks to "Courtni" (a manager), I was able to get a smoking room for the duration of my stay!

Pros: Smoking rooms available; Kitchenettes; Larger than average room size; Furnished lani; Daily housekeeping; Nice, well stocked bathroom; Great TV (with more channels than the average hotel); Quiet hotel (never heard my "neighbors"); AC had a remote control; Free morning newspaper; Free parking for guests (first-come, first-served); Convenient location; Friendly and very accommodating staff.

Cons: are you kidding? I can't say there were any cons that warrant a mention here.

ALL hotel staff were very nice and happy to accommodate their guests. I especially thought that Courtni, Drina and Robin went beyond "the call of duty"!
I love this hotel and hope to stay there again!

Room Tip: If you happen to be a smoker, book a Superior Studio or Deluxe Studio (9th and 10th floors are for u...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 9, 2011

For the price the location is really good. It's a bit old but charming in it's own way....the decor is a bit old and the air con is way loud if you turn it on. We just stayed in a higher room and left the louvred windows open at night. The staff are great. Friendly, courteous and lots of help.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Don't expect luxury or pampering during your stay at this hotel, this is a valuable hotel that provides clean and very large rooms (I was in the deluxe studio) with everything you need inside. There are 2 beds, a full kitchen (microwave and traditional oven included) a decent bathroom and a lot of space where putting your stuff. The location is excellent, you are two blocks form Waikiki beach in a quite area, rooms have air-con but they don't need it because from the balcony you get a wonderful breeze during the late afternoon and the night. The staff is very kind and there's also some activities you can do at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple