“Perfect for the price”

Ramada Plaza Waikiki
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Nice place. Rooms were clean. Lobby was nice. The staff was extremely accomodating...checking us in before appropriate time and holding our luggage for us after we left. They have onsite parking. There are wonderful eating options very, very close and the beach is not far away.

Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Pattie F, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Aloha Robert M from St. Louis:

Mahalo (thank you) for your very generous comments about our property. Conveniently located and our staff is pretty great and sounds like they were very accommodating to you and I'm glad to see we met your expectations and came off with great comments.

Please come back and visit us sometime - or if can be of any service to you, please let me now.
(808) 312-1148.

Pattie Furtado

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

When choosing a hotel in Honolulu, my husband and I were looking for a clean, quiet room at a reasonable price with comfortable beds and convenient location. Ramada met those requirements perfectly. People preferring a resort-type atmosphere might want to go directly across the street to Hilton Hawaiian Village. The Ramada is an older hotel (former Holiday Inn?) with no attached restaurants (other than an Asian buffet near the entrance). It was clean and, when I checked the Bed Bug Registry online, was one of few Honolulu hotels I checked with no registered incident reports. There were fresh flowers and orchids in common areas, and a small but attractive lobby. A concierge is on duty daily to help arrange tours as needed, the bellmen were friendly, and they had an enclosed room to store our bags while we waited for an evening flight out. The Wailana Coffee House (and bar) is just down the street on the corner for a Denny's-type breakfast, and IHOP is even closer. Coffee is available in the lobby in the mornings. Our room had coffee maker, microwave, small fridge as well as a larger safe than one in our room at a prestigious resort in Lihue, Kauai. We were on the 14th floor so didn't notice noise.

Aloha Wishnwell:

We would sincerely like to thank you for your comments on our property. I'm so glad we offer a hotel that "met your needs @ right price".

You were generous in your comments - thank you - we pride ourselves on off beach prices but great value added amenities.

Glad you thought so too!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel has an excellent location and the service people are well organized and in control of the facility. I just wish the reception personal would be warmer and provided a genuine smiling to the people. The cleaning staff does not fill all the items used consistently and would not change the sheets unless you request for them to do it.
The majority of guests are Chinese and you may have to adapt to Asian culture behaviors such giving the right away and smoking debris left around the hotel and on the way to the breakfast area. You would need to start a conversation if you want to communicate with them.
Other than those minor constructive observations.
This Hotel is excellent!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank GSaave25
Pattie F, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Aloha Gsaave25:

We really appreciate your review on Trip Advisor. Sounds like we met your expectations and we are working on providing more interaction with the group customers that stay with us. The Chinese traveler is a lot different from you average American traveler. I think it's an educational process. I've worked in hotels for almost 30 years and have seen the various markets evolve.

We should make an effort to instruct our travelers about leaving smoking debris on the way to the street. - You are so right! We'll try harder!

Please know that your observations are spot on. We will work with our housekeeping staff to replenish the amenities in the rooms more frequently.

Warmest Aloha and again Mahalo for staying with us.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the Ramada plaza for 2 weeks as we got married in Waikiki. I also booked the rooms for my family who came from overseas. The hotel itself is undoubtly very good value for money. The beds are quite comfortable (not the pillows, I have to say I stayed at the Aqua Palms and had the best sleep ever there), nice tv, bathroom is small and the actual bathtub need renovation but overall the rooms are clean and nice.No balcony in our room which is not great but for the price one can leave without it. The swimming pool is big and cleaned everyday and there is a gym also.I did find that the customer service was great at times and poor in other occasions. For example, in one of the rooms that we booked the beds weren't made for 2 days in a row, I complained and the bed was then made.... next day bed wasn't made again... The excuse was that we left something on the bed and the staff isn't allowed to touch anything at all (not true in one of the occasions).I think given the fact that for 3 days we didn't receive the service, we should have been compensated but no, didn't happen.. it was just a sorry and thanks for your feedback even when I send the review through the survey that I was sent after the stay. On the other hand, when we arranged for the car space, we were told tht we were going to be given a lower discount than what I saw online and when I told the receptionist she was very kind to honour the discount I'd seen. So I pretty much think customer service here is a hit or miss. As with the location, I personally love the fact that it's just a short walk to Ala Moana mall, and a short walk to Waikiki and a bit of a longer walk to the Ala Moana Beach Park. I am not sure I'd go back there, purely because I had previously had such a great experience at the Aqua Palms in terms of customer service but great value for money and overall I would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Silviabuzz
Rick V, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2014

Dear Silviabuzz,

Thank you for your thorough review! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us during the two weeks of your marriage ceremonies. Housekeeping takes pride in maintaining a high standard of cleanliness for our property. Yes, we have a great pool and gym for our guests. Also, our guests find that our location is very convenient and close to many stores and restaurants, as well as a short walk to Ala Moana Shopping Center. We apologize that the customer service was not consistent throughout your stay and we will speak with the Front Desk employees regarding these issues.

We hope that you come back and stay with us again soon!

Warmest aloha,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at the Ramada Plaza Waiakiki after a cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu. Selected this hotel because of closeness to the beach and price. We had forgotten that our stay included a free hot breakfast. Would recomment this place for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PETER K

Aloha Silviabuzz from Australia:

G'Day! Thank you for your insight and review on Trip Advisor. We are thankful you thought we were a good value for the money. Congratulations on your wedding too!

I am sorry about the housekeeping service - we do ask maids not to make the beds if there is anything on them and it sounds like we dropped the ball. I apologize.

We'll share your comments to housekeeping and front desk to see if we can't improve on extending our Aloha Spirit to our guests.

Mahalo (thank you) for staying with us and if you come back - I'll give you a discount based on your experience. I would be happy to send you a certificate that would be good for one year if you like - just let me know.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This property has a good location just across the street from the HGVC and the Ilikai on Ala Moana Blvd. It's actually entered off Hobron St. The IHop and Wailana Cafe are very close by.
All the employees we encountered were friendly.
There is a very cozy lobby and it was busy.
The hotel does show her age. She was alive and well when they filmed the original Hawaii 50 years ago back in the 1960s. The building is 17 stories tall. There is plenty of traffic noise from the street. Old buildings aren't sound proof.
This is obviously a well managed property.
We needed a one night stay on our way to the Big Island.
We found a great deal on the well known opaque hotel site, and our needs were met.
Because the Ramada Plaza is on the West edge of Waikiki it was easy to get to and from HNL.
The pillows were not very good, there were plenty of towels and shampoo/soap.
The dated window box AC conked out over night and Hawaii's humidity won out.
Overall, this is a good place for a transition stay and the price was right.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor. There's lots of traffic noise at lower floor level.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pattie F, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Aloha Bobemac:

Mahalo (thank you) for your review. We do need to change the lobby furniture and upgrade the first floor area and budgeting for the improvements. Although the rooms were fully renovated in 2009 and we are now changing to triple sheeting and losing the bedspreads.

I apologize about the air-conditioning going out. We actually just purchased 30 new air-conditioners and are installing them. We should have moved your room but I'm guessing it was very late at night.

We appreciate you staying with and thak you for your assessment.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel was good for the price, and off the beach, but not too far. I was tall and 10 rooms per floor which made it not to far from end to end to get to your room. Most one room hotels are the same so the bed and bathroom tend to be what can make or break a room. This one had good clean beds and bedding, bathroom was clean and they clean the vents and tops where dust can accumulate. Parking was the only issue, it was limited and the regular $20 a day, so if you come in late there is no room to park, so they have to double park you. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Priceline had the best rate.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave N
Pattie F, Director of Sales at Ramada Plaza Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Aloha Dave N from Las Vegas (our 9th Hawaiian Island)

We really appreciate your honest review of our hotel. Our staff really tries to keep the rooms clean and we have pretty high standards. I was pleased to see our new 24 hour parking attendant took car and made sure you had parking.

I hope you come back and give us an opportunity to have you stay with us again.