“It's does the job... breakfast was phenom.”

Airport Honolulu Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We needed to stay one night here before we flew out to Maui. Its steps from the airport and theres a starbucks and a couple of other restaurants within short walking distance. The room was like a blast from the past, taking me back to the early 90's. I can't truly complain because the price is right and I got a good night sleep. It could be nicer as far as the decor goes.

Best Part: The breakfast was really really delicious, and we travel a lot and eat a lot of hotel breakfast.

Room Tip: I would try and get an upper floor room since the lower floor rooms felt like you were sleeping in t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bethanyanddan
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Aloha bethanyanddan,

On behalf of the staff and management of the Airport Honolulu Hotel, we would like to thank you for staying with us and for writing a review of the hotel.

As you mentioned in your review, we do have a great location to the airport and would be a great place for any guest needing a quick stopover before their next flight. We are looking at ways to enhance our rooms and will be looking to renovate in the next couple years. Thank you for the compliments regarding our breakfast. I will share this with our associates.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

The strong point of this hotel was customer service, staff are very friendly. Rooms are basic and in need of some attention. The restaurant was not open in the evening for the three nights we were there. The shop was open but you cannot charge to your room. the shuttle service is haphazard particularly when requested from the airport. Security is poor, outer doors are left open rendering the request to enter using room key meaningless. The door to our room did not close automatically and had to be slammed to get it too close and lock. The hotel is very close to the airport, be prepared for aircraft noise.

Room Tip: Ask to see it before you check in.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha bryneglwys,

Thank you for staying at the Airport Honolulu Hotel during your most recent visit to Hawaii. Thank you also for writing a review and advising us of the concerns you encountered. On behalf of the staff and management, we sincerely apologize for some of our services not meeting your expectations.

As you mentioned in your review, our staff is very friendly and service oriented. Though our restaurant was not open during your stay, our sister property Best Western the Plaza Hotel is open and our shuttle would be happy to take you there and pick you up. Regarding your other concerns, we will be addressing these to ensure our level our service and security are raised higher.

Again, thank you for staying with us and for writing a review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed here on my own for one night before my flight home to Australia. I was put in the building behind the main building which didn't seem to have any security at all; the main doors were constantly propped open and the lift did not require you to scan a room card to access guest floors, despite signs saying it did.

As a young female travelling alone, I was not impressed with the lack of security on arrival. Additionally, I was then told that I would have to travel to a different hotel to get something to eat! Not to worry, I thought, if I go nice and early I will be safe. I took the shuttle to the sister hotel for dinner, where I was seated at a table that was already occupied!!! Apparently it is ok to seat someone dining alone at the same table as a couple dining together? At least that couple was lovely to me.

I went back to the hotel feeling both uncomfortable and unsafe as I walked alone through the dark car park to the building my room was located in. Went to bed, only to be woken by 'housekeeping' banging on my door at 10.30pm. Why on earth would housekeeping knock at 10.30pm?? If you think that's bad, they knocked AGAIN at a quarter to 1! Needless to say, I did not answer the door, but lay awake for most of the night.

There are two things potentially wrong here:

Number 1: if in fact it was housekeeping who was banging on my door at this time of night, perhaps the staff need better training. Aside from fire, I really can't understand what wouldn't be able to wait until morning to bang on my door about.

Number 2: if it was someone pretending to be housekeeping knocking, then the security of the building really, really needs to be looked at.

I will never, ever stay here again. I have travelled alone hundreds of times for work, and I have never felt so unsafe in my life. And please don't tell me that I should have rung reception and requested a different room; I shouldn't have HAD to. Simple as that.

My advice to other travellers is if you absolutely HAVE to stay here, request to stay in the main building. I would hope that the security would be better there, though I'm not certain.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Aloha Pancakesandbacon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at Airport Honolulu Hotel. I would like to apologize for the service you received while you were here.

Based on your review, there are some concerns I will take a look at immediately. The concerns you have brought up are not the standard of the Airport Honolulu Hotel, or the expectation management sets forth.

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention and we will ensure they are addressed accordingly.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We arrived on a late night flight and departed on a morning flight and found the Airport Honolulu Hotel to be a reasonable stopover.

The facilities are dated but everything is clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, the airport shuttle was convenient and the breakfast was very good.

Our room was on the 4th floor facing the side of the building and it was quiet.

We called for the shuttle from the phones in baggage claim after our luggage arrived. When the hotel picks up the phone they ask what baggage claim area you are at and will tell you where to stand to pick up the shuttle. In our case, we were in baggage claim F and were told to walk only a short distance to G and stand not in the middle island outside of baggage claim but on the next one across the street. There was a security person there who confirmed with us that we were in the right place - and sure enough the shuttle arrived. So when you call for the shuttle, be sure to find out where to stand to pick it up. It wasn't so obvious without having the information of what to look for.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th floor facing the side of the building and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Journeyer

Aloha Journeyer,

Thank you for choosing the Airport Honolulu Hotel on your most recent stay in Hawaii and for writing a review.

We are appreciative to hear our staff was friendly and helpful and that our operators were able to direct you to the correct area for our shuttle pickup. The pickup area is a bit confusing, however our staff do a great job of ensuring you are in the right place so our drivers can welcome you to the island and then the hotel.

Thank you again for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Great for a stopover/recovery from a flight.Room was reasonable size,well maintained.
No eating facilities in the hotel.
You can get a bus into town or to Pearl Harbour at $2.50 one way. The stop is outside the hotel and the staff will explain where to get off for a restaurant.But really its a place to crash out after a long flight.
The shuttle bus is free (driver liked his tip) but its busy in the morning so be there on time.
Expensive but good value as you dont have a taxi trip into town to a better hotel.
Its what it says on the tin ...an Airport Hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back .Those at the front face the busy noisy highway
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a stopover in Honolulu for one night. As we arrived late and departed early, it was ideal as this hotel is close the airport and there are complimentary shuttles to and from the airport. The room was clean and functional.

The negative for us was that they had no room service and the hotel restaurant closes in the evening. Hence, when we arrived late at the hotel, there was no food to eat and there were also no restaurants nearby. (Note they have vending machines for snacks). Also, the A/C was noisy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JamesChin
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Aloha JamesChin,

Thank you for staying at the Airport Honolulu Hotel and for your review and rating. Both our staff and management would like to thank you for sharing your stay.

Regarding your concern about our restaurant, it does close at 9:00pm; however we do have a gift shop that is open until 11:00pm. They do serve snacks and sandwiches and our staff does provide information on neighboring food venues. We apologize we were not able to meet your expectations on this visit, but that you will return and we will be willing to assist you.

Thank you again for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed in the hotel one night before our flight on 12 floor. Staff is helpful but the hotel is completely old. Good location but shuttle service every 30 minutes it is not so comfortable. Rooms' size is ok but bathroom is small. In rooms is very noisy due to highway H1 located close to the hotel. Price does not relevant for those conditions taking into account that staying here more than one night does not make sense. It seems a cheaper way to rent a car and stay in Waikiki.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Khosta

Aloha Khosta,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Airport Honolulu Hotel and for writing a review here on TripAdvisor.

We would like to extend our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced while you were here. After reading your review, we would like to let you know we do have quieter rooms in the hotel and our staff is more than willing to assist in locating the right room. I would like to inquire why the shuttle service running every 30 minutes may be an issue. If you could please call me, my number is (808) 837-5931.