“Only if you have to....”

Airport Honolulu Hotel
Ranked #60 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed September 26, 2013

One of our less than positive hotel experiences - starting with a long wait for the shuttle, certainly not the 1/2 hour maximum we'd been lead to believe. And what a lot of money for what you get. We arrived with 2 kids in tow, only to be told that there was no food available at 8pm and we could wait for the shuttle to the other Hotel. No thanks, enough of the shuttle waiting. After getting my thoughts on that off my chest at reception and retrieving the key, as an aside the receptionist mentioned that there was a shop open within the hotel and we could buy microwaveable meals there. OK, well that would have worked except they sell 2 minute noodles but....there's no kettle in the room. Ignoring the noodle warning NOT to use the microwave to heat, we managed to scrape something of a meal together. And then settled in to a night full of partying next door, and the door next to that...and that. I gather a few military personnel were making the most of a get together. Anyhow, when I turned on the light to read, I noticed a couple of cockroaches on the bedside table were enjoying the music from next door. Hey, it's all just another travel experience....except this one cost us more than our nightly rate at the Hilton Hotel Waikoloa which was like comparing apples with shoes. Unless your flight times really are that tight, just pay the $40 extra to get a cab into Honolulu and stay at an actual Hotel. There were none of the usual benefits of an airport hotel (late night food, quick transfer etc) here.

Room Tip: Ask where the parties are and how to avoid them, as well as the motorway noise. Good luck with that...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sonja64Sydney
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Aloha Sonja64Sydney,

Thank you for your most recent stay at the Airport Honolulu Hotel.

After reading your review, we would like to extend a sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced. We also apologize we were not able to meet your expectations. We do have a restaurant located at our hotel and our sister hotel, which is only a quick 2 minute shuttle ride. The gift shop does provide additional options for meals and so we will look into what happened. Regarding the noise, we do take our other guests into consideration and so should this occur, please contact the Front Desk so we could have that situation addressed with.

I would like to hear from you, so if you would like please call me at (808) 837-5931.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

There's nothing fancy to this hotel. It's clean and comfortable, but far too expensive for what it offers. Though, maybe that's just Honolulu in general. The airport shuttle leaves every half hour I believe, and the hotel is close to the Navy Exchange (if you have privileges).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel fit our needs-a bed. The late evening airport pick-up and check-in went smoothly. We found that we had a roommate in our room-a cockroach. I had requested a superior room, but doubt that is what we got-I was only interested in getting to sleep rather than complaining to the somewhat inhospital receptionist. Wife appreciated the bathroom. In the early morning, the express check-out was convenient, then off to the airport again on the shuttle. I wouldn't want to spend more than an evening here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ButaTokyo
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I arrived at the international terminal with 2 children, called the number as advised for a transfer, the front desk clerk asked me what number location we were at the airport, I said I couldnt see a number, she insisted it was above my phone, there was nothing she could do without it, I explained I was at the hotel calling booth at the international terminal and there was no number. She told me to get off the phone and find it she didnt have time to talk to me as she had calls holding. I hung up and spent time walking around with 2 toddlers trying to find the number she referred to then be told by the staff at airport the International arrivals does not have a number. I called the hotel back, someone else answered and they dispatched the shuttle. I got to check-in, where someone was being treated very rudely in front of other guests. I was happy to get to my room and have as little as possible to do with the front desk staff, as after a long flight I didnt want to take the brunt of their bad day. I paid over $220 USD to stay here for 1 night and chose it over the others in the area as I do prefer good service and quality. I didnt get it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen M
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Aloha Karen M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Airport Honolulu Hotel during your most recent visit to Hawaii. On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us.

After reading your review, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. I can sense the frustration you encountered and will speak to our staff regarding this matter. I believe there may have been misunderstanding as our operators ask for the baggage claim number so our driver will know your location. As I mentioned, I extend our sincere apologies for this and will ensure we communicate more effectively.

I would like to personally speak to you and so if you could contact me directly at (808)837-5931 it would be appreciated. I look forward to speaking with you and welcoming you back again.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is a very convenient hotel located close to the airport. The hotel provides a 24-hour shuttle service from the airport to hotel and back to the airport. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. There is a Starbucks about a block away and other convenience stores but they close about 11:00 at night so if you are arriving after 11 you're out of luck trying to find something to eat. The food at the hotel restaurant is good but it is not open all day. Overall, it is a comfortable place to stay for one or two nights. It's more for people who are just passing through Honolulu on the way to somewhere else. It is not a place you'd want to stay if you are vacationing in Hawaii.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was there for only one night as one usually does at an airport hotel. Was on my way back from holiday and so fair enough, maybe not in the best of moods., but still this was not a good experience. First of all, one positive point, very well organized pick up service from and to the airport. Arrived at the hotel at 9.10 pm to be told that the restaurant of the hotel is closed at 9pm and that unfortunately nothing is close by so my only option is to order pizza from Dominos... i go around the corner from the check in counter to find a convenience store with food and beverages opened until 11pm... Wanted to go to the gym.. it closes also at 9pm... thought of ordering room service... no room service. Being part of the hospitality industry myself i was really disappointed with the service, which was non existent. You expect an airport hotel to have 24h facilities as the guests are arriving and leaving usually in odd hours: very late and/or very early... and none of the hotel's facilities seemed to be organized to accommodate those needs. And on top of that, the price was very expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nathalie R
Brent K, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Aloha Nathalie R,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Airport Honolulu Hotel on your one night back from a holiday. We do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while you were here.

We do apologize about the misunderstanding regarding the convenience store and there being food there to buy. We will remind our staff to offer the gift shop as a possibility to get sandwiches. The Airport Honolulu Hotel does consider the odd hours of our travelers, however the Honolulu International Airport does have a last flight for arrival and departure. Therefore we do our best to accommodate as much of the flights as we can.

Again, we apologize we did not meet your expectations on this stay and hope you will consider us again for any future visits.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

It was good experience I was coming from Melbourne Victoria Australia and I was very exhausted and I like the location of the hotel and the service was ok. The staff need to work on their customer service skills and work on their attitude. If there was more to say. Would but there isn't much to say.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east are quite
Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo