“Some good, some bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney, Australia
“Some good, some bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I spent one night here, after a flight from Auckland and going to Maui the next day.
The good was a decent room, comfortable bed, pleasant staff.
The bad - having to wait nearly an hour for the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. After a 9 hour flight, and having flown from Sydney to Auckland the previous day, all we wanted was a bed to sleep in. We waited about half an hour for the shuttle after I first called, then some more after a second call. The shuttle driver said he hadn't been told we were waiting, but who knows? No apology from the receptionist either.
I certainly would have reviewed the property higher, if not for this. We didn't use the restaurant or pool, so can't comment on either. Our return shuttle to the airport the next day was fine. Maybe we were just unlucky, but after long flights, it wasn't the ideal start to our Hawaiian holiday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
RudyFao, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review us. We sincerely apologize for the delayed pick up from our shuttle service. After many hours of flight from Auckland, we can understand how tired, sleepy and anxious you must have been to get in bed to rest. Thank you for your patience and understanding. We pride ourselves is providing personalized aloha hospitality - we hope you will give us another opportunity to prove our commitment to you. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
mattoon,il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for a 2 night layover before heading to Maui. Have to say, they have some of the speediest airport pick up and drop off I have ever experienced.
Check in was slow since they only had one person working the front desk anytime we went by. Just remember you are on island time and relax!! The job was done well and checking in and out was painless.
The pool area is nice and clean. Could have used more pool towels around but we got by.
My only complaint would be that we were in the second part of the building; not connected to where check in is. Schlepping 4 large bags through the halls and across the parking lot, up the elevator and down another hall was exhausting.
Room was clean and great for the rest we needed.
Took the local bus to get downtown and to Waikiki beach. $2.00 per person each way; allow for approximately an hour to get there. It sure beats driving in the traffic of Honolulu.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pokey89
Culburra Beach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Decided to have a brief stopover en route to a wedding in Palm Springs from Australia so I would arrive sans jet lag. The Airport Honolulu Hotel would appear to be the only airport hotel I have ever stayed in that has no facility for guests who stay for a portion of a day rather than the usual overnight in at 2pm out by 10pm scenario. I required a room from 7am until 9pm and was charged for two nights, despite the fact that there was cleaning staff on duty when I checked out (meaning the room could have been serviced for an incoming guest).
The room was clean and exceptionally comfortable. Great bed, good blackout curtains so I could sleep for several hours during my brief stay.
Free shuttle bus too and from the airport is a plus. Courtesy phone as you leave the airport arrival area gives quick, free access and the van was there within minutes.
In house restaurant was good standard fare, not ridiculously expensive but only open three nights. Other nights (like the Thursday I was there) the hotel shuttles guests to the Best Western down the road which is a bit fiddly (but the food, once again, was reasonably priced and not bad). Very busy, full of family groups. Not a large number of choices nearby if you want to dine elsewhere.
Front-of-house staff were pleasant and courteous.
Pool area was clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep during the day take earplugs. Highway on one side, pool on the other with lots...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Maggie C
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review us. Many guests from Austrailia and New Zealand stay with us due to our location to the airport and take advantage of the 24 hr complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. Unfortunately we do not offer day rates as we have many guests from all segments. By offering nightly rates we become consistent with many return guests and provide rates that are competitive and affordable. We look forward to the capital improvements planned in 2013 and hope you will return to see the improvements. Mahalo for staying with us.
Rrochester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Used to go here every couple months visiting family, mainly for location. But recently left a valuable coat in room, called same day,said never was a coat. My word against housekeeping, so someone goat my leather dress jacket I got a new hotel to go to.

1 Thank Cheryl S
RudyFao, Manager at Airport Honolulu Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your comments. We are attentive and detailed when it comes to any lost and found items. All items are documented and followed up with a call to the guest as soon as possible if the items are left or found in the hotel. Please contact us so we may follow up with you. Thank you for staying with us.

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Compared to many hotels in Honolulu, this hotel is fairly outdated. It has very welcoming staff, and an interesting lobby, but beyond that things pretty much go downhill. Rooms are dingy and shabby - it could ruin a good trip for the fastidious traveler. You have to keep an open mind. Rooms have very basic furniture, and they are certainly clean. Our beds was well used but not overly uncomfortable. Halls have a pronounced musty odor. Towels in out bathroom smelled of chlorine. One outstanding and redeeming factor, however, is the proximity to the airport and frequency of the shuttle service. The shuttle makes getting to and from the airport very easy. I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you have no choice and must be near the airport.

Room Tip: I would recommend a top floor room.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank omegaman13
Aloha and thank you for reviewing us. Our location to the airport is most prominant as we are only 5 minutes away and provide 24 hr complimentary shuttle service. We are excited to be investing capital dollars in improving our hotel in 2013 with upgrades in all rooms and capital improvements in our public areas. We have taken your comments and made sure to follow up with each department, thank you for taking the time to make us aware. Mahalo for staying with us.
Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed one night to catch a early plane.

Web site makes rooms look big but so small and tight. You bump into everything.
Kinda old and worn.
First we got the wrong room assigned. Then we got another. They blamed it on me. What the heck you work the desk not me!!! I checking in I don't know what your computer says. Plus you did not say anything about my bed request and what you gave me so..............I won't know until I open the door!!!!! Come on think that thru!!!!

Next correct room. Air Con don't work. Takes 1/2 hour for maintenance to show up. It would run for 10-15 sec (seriously) then shut off for 30 min. It was mid after noon the room was hot!! Maintenace came in. I will give credit to the one guy right off he said it was broke but the Filipino with greased back head said nothing wrong I did not push the right buttons. It kicked on soon as he walked up to it. I had to hold him by the hand cause he wanted to leave to make him watch it for 15 sec to watch it turn off. I had to make him feel the air when it was running that it was just room air circulating!!!!
Long story short to broke to fix they carted it away and brought in a new one. Infact they said they had brandnew one!!! I said nothing I was pissed. It was refurbished not brandnew it had many areas of rust on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We went out to eat while they replace the whole air con. Guess what we get back they gone, air con running room still hot. We now even more pissed. We said heck with it. Went sleep to rest and catch early plane and planning this report on thier poor Hotel.

This really had to be the worst hotel ever.

Give some credit 2nd lady that gave me correct room was nice.
Lady at 4am when I checked out was very pleasant.
Maid in the hallway when checking in was nice and pleasant.

Beyond that I sorry. Please don't stay here. Most employees don't care.

Pricey for crappy as room are.
Kanaiana rate no different than advertised rate. Same rate exactly same rate!!!!
Military rate was only $4.00 dollars off. Serious!!!
Did get free park da car. But all slots taken up had to park in the way back!!! but on thier property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you read my frustration with da place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you want convient to the airport this is the place. OTHERWISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not stay here.
2 Thank Keoki96744
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We sincerely apologize for your inconvienence with the AC and not having the correct room type when you checked in. We pride ourselves with personal service and treat everyone with Aloha hospitality. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity, please check our website for special Kamaiana rates and stay tuned for our capital improvements for 2013 as we will be improving our guest rooms with new Flat screen TVS and other enhancements. We are convienently located only minutes from the airport and provide 24 hour complimentary shuttle transportation to and from the airport. Mahalo for staying with us.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Rooms were clean, nothing fancy. Front desk was very helpful. What was nice about this hotel was it was close to points interest like Pearl Harbor and when you are leaving for the airport the next day we used it as a base to leave our luggage and stopped there for a break before we left.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple