Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver, Canada
“Answers”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

All in all the hotel was spread out nicely Not too big and not too cramped we were there with a VERY large convention and they did a great job with the check in and check out, the staff was overwhelmed as far as the areas around the pool and food/drinks were concerned waiting 20 minutes at the counter before you can even make an order is just wrong. The kids loved the lagoon and the pools...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank 70_ragtop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I spent 9 days here at the beginning of January for a conference and holiday combination. We stayed in a very basic room in Tapa tower, nothing special and so-so on the cleanliness scale. Here are some highlights

Pros - it has everything, shopping, restaurants, the beach, and Starbucks! There are convenient ABC stores on premise and surprisingly their prices aren't ridiculous so you can easily buy anything you need and not be robbed in the process!

Cons - check in process was fairly quick but rude. Don't think of asking for a different Tower or having your VIP check in honored, they didn't even know what we were talking about when we mentioned this.
- we NEVER got a lounger during the entire time there. Not once. There just aren't enough chairs at the pools. So we ended up at the beach and paid around $35 daily for a lounger there.
- too much construction right now. I don't want to be part of a construction site when i'm on vacation.

I will say that during out stay we had some minor, and some not so minor issues with our room (i.e. periodic loss of hot water over 2 days) but if you go and see the Coincerge desk, they will compensate you for any inconvenience, faster than most hotels I've stayed at. While I'd rather have hot water in my room, the $200 credit with no strings attached wasn't bad.

Would I go back again? Not for me, sorry, just too many people and not a very relaxing atmosphere. There are far better places for that in Waikiki.

Room Tip: I would stay in the Ali'i Tower, it seemed more luxurious and has it's own check in desk.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank GypsyGirl21
Midland, United States
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was our third stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort. They have everything there to enjoy a very relaxing stay. It is located at the end of Waikiki Beach so you are away from the large crowds. This trip we were there for 18 days and over Valentine's Day. This was a weekend and they were very busy, along with all of Waikiki. We have always stayed in Kaila Tower Ocean view room there were many great sunset and view of whales off the beach from our room. We plan to return to Oahu and plan to stay at the resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations

vettegirl1
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband had to book a same day room for his job and this was the only hotel available with a government rate. Check in was chaos with cars everywhere and tons of people. It was far from relaxing. The parking was very expensive on top of a hefty resort fee as well. We stayed in an older tower were there was no air conditioning in the hall ways that was damp and miserable. The elevators were also slow and crowded. The room was basic and reminded me of a motel 6. The noise level was unbearable and began around 4 in the morning. You could hear toilets flushing and doors slamming. So the 2 nights spent there left us pretty tired during the day. If you want an uncrowded quiet resort this isn't the place. We moved on to the Royal Hawaiian after this stay that was bliss for just a few dollars more a day.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank vettegirl1
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Aloha vettegirl1,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent visit to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing experience we have provided you as a guest of our resort. We are a full-service resort dedicated to serving guests with all reasons for travel. We can understand how the arrival experience may be at first overwhelming and we trust our team to personally welcome our guests with the aloha spirit and ensure we are providing a clean and comfortable room that meets and hopefully exceed our guests’ needs during their visit. We are very sorry for the noise disturbances and that our team was unable to offer you a quieter room to enjoy. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we are amidst our rejuvenation project and gladly welcome all suggestions for improvement. We hope on future travel we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back for a much more pleasant stay.

Mahalo,
Hilton Hawaiian Village Guest Services Team
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Overall, the resort has a great amount of positives. There are many restaurants, shops, hotel rooms, and function space (from a business standpoint). The resort is huge, and there are many things to see, and great places to eat. My friends and I ate at Tropics Bar and Grill, CJ's, Fresco, and a few other locations and overall the food was pretty good. The rooms were clean, the staff (for the most part) were very nice, and the hotel in general was great. However, here are some of the negatives that really upset us.

1. My friend got stung by a jellyfish on the beach at night (around 10 or 11pm), and we immediately contacted first aid. They told us they're about to close, and to just go to the hospital. Excuse me? I'm sorry, but why on EARTH would you tell us to just go to the hospital instead? What if somebody may be having a more severe emergency? You shouldn't have to tell us to go somewhere, we should've been helped immediately nevertheless.

2. Due to meetings, many of us didn't have as much time as we would like to have during the day, so many of us went out during the night time. Too bad, since everything is closed by 10 or 11pm. What about the pools? Nope, closed, informed by the security guard who rudely shined a flashlight in our faces and said "pools closed, you guys gotta get out".

3. There's no late night room service. Or room service, period. Let's say you have a bunch of fellow business reps in your room and you want to order a couple hundred bucks of drinks, wine, and food? Nope, you can't. Everything on property is closed, and there's no actual delivery for any food past 10pm. I don't mind spending $60 for room service for breakfast, but there's no actual option for in-room dining.

4. All the rentals for surfboards closed before dusk. Many of us wanted to rent surfboards and such before our gala to have one more fun time at the beach, but unfortunately, they're closed.

5. The pool and lagoons aren't heated, and the ocean is actually much warmer than the pool. The lagoon in fact is pretty cold.

Overall, the hotel isn't that bad, but when our company is paying millions to send us to such a place, I expected better. I'll hope for the Grand Wailea or Sheraton Waikiki & Royal Hawaiian next Hawaii trip.

Room Tip: Rainbow Head Tower facing Diamond Head on a high floor is great!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and although the room was nice the resort is chaotic with thousands of people everywhere. There is very little staff presence and it is unclear where the reception desks even are. Everything is crazy expensive like $25 for a small pizza, you have to pay to hire everything like the paddles and kayaks. There are no flamingos which was stated when I booked and there were a few penguins, however there was no penguin feeding on the weekend when we were there. You need to be careful walking around as a breadfruit the size of a watermelon fell from a tree in the shopping village and an elderly man in front of me slipped over and I almost slipped. There was only 3 pools to cater for the thousands of guests and most evenings after 6pm the pools were closed off for functions which meant everyone tried to swim in the one pool! I For what I paid I was expecting luxury but it was very similar to staying in any other hotel in Waikiki - would be best to stay elsewhere and just visit the Hilton during the day for shopping etc. as it is well and truly open to the general public.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
hk
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Firstly I spent a bomb for this hotel - about USD350/night and I must say I was not impressed.

This hotel is overcrowded, especially over the weekends. I didn't find it peaceful and relaxing, aside from my time at the beach, in which case, I could have stayed at the aqua next door. I checked in on Friday and it was chaotic! Too many people come to this hotel to view the fireworks so it took me 10 minutes to get to the elevators to my room and Tropics - the restaurant was too full, they told me to bugger off.
The hotel charges for everything, including the beach chairs
amenities in the hotel are branded, but too small. no slippers, robes and not enough glasses.
No newspaper on weekends
noisy neighbours because we had connecting rooms
The tour desk is busy promoting HH 2 hour tour all the time.

Only good things for me:
View from my room was amazing
penguins at the hotel

Room Tip: Don't stay over the weekend - especially Friday
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yahooHk
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Aloha yahooHk,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. We regret to hear that we fell short in making your stay a special experience. The Friday nights fireworks show over the Waikiki Beach is a popular attraction and we are very sorry if this created challenges for you. However, we hope you did enjoy the fireworks. Our resort has five pools which offer complimentary chaise lounges and we also provide beach towels. Slippers, robes, and extra glasses are available for delivery to room upon guest request. We are pleased to hear that you found the view from your room amazing and enjoyed our penguins. We appreciate you providing us with feedback as we are always looking for ways to enhance our guest experience. We hope you will return to HHV and provide us with another opportunity to service you.

Mahalo,