“Overall We Liked It” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #43 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Edmonton, AB
“Overall We Liked It”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I travel a lot and enjoy a nice hotel. We wanted to see the sights of Honolulu prior to heading over to our usual hang-out in Kona (Big Island), so I used some Hilton Honor points, some Expedia (TD Visa) dollars, and a little cash to fund 4 nights at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
We requested and got an ocean view room in the Rainbow Tower. I called the hotel a couple days prior to arriving to ensure my reservation was correct and set up back to back...i got great service from the front desk (thanks Donna).

The room was nice (great bed) but we much prefer a double sink in the bathroom, the view was nice, and overall we enjoyed our stay. The $30 per room per day resort fee is a disappointing thing however.
The complex has several towers that surround the restaurants, pools, ABC stores, and some nice shopping. The beach is very nice.
It took a couple days to learn where everything around the complex was located, but we managed. It is a very busy resort, so plan ahead, make reservations in advance if you can. The same goes when dining off the resort...we were not able to get into a couple different restaurants for dinner because we left it too late to make a reservation.
The hotel complex was much like Honolulu itself...very busy, a bit expensive, and popular with Asian tourists (mostly from Japan). Coming from Canada to visit Honolulu for the first time I was amazed by the number of Japanese tourists and the way the city's shops and stores cater to them...it was impressive. The high-end shopping in Honolulu is amazing and the traffic sucks to be perfectly honest. Be sure to set up a ride to and from the airport with Hawaii23 Transporation. They took good care of us.

I don't think we'll return to Honolulu for a long time because we prefer the quieter parts of Hawaii, however, if we did return we would consider the Hilton Hawaiin Village again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spicole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

We enjoyed our room, balcony, and especially our ocean view. The room was large and clean. The beds were comfortable. We loved using the lagoon. We also enjoyed using the pool. One of the pools has slides and a little waterfall - that was a treat. (The pools were very busy, but it was well guarded.) We also enjoyed the fireworks right outside our door. They had towels for beach and pool use.
It is a nice hotel. I had found a really great deal and if I found a good deal I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kris B
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

This hotel is huge. We went on a family trip with my parents and sister and it's a good hotel because there's many things to do. However, parking is $35 a night and all the activities on the hotel site cost money as well. My parents went to the luau and loved it. Don't just stay at the hotel, go and explore the rest of the island.. it's SO much nicer than Waikiki.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

We reserved this hotel through Delta Vacations and found out later that we were stuck with whatever room they provided for us. Luckily, Hilton allows Hilton Honors members to upgrade, and take advantage of their membership. That's where the good news ends. After upgrading for $40 per night for an ocean front room in the Rainbow tower from what was called "Ocean View" in some landside tower, we were very pleased with the view. The A/C, however, we noticed was not very clean, the dust could be seen in the ceiling thick near the filter. The property is reminiscent of a Disney World site, except not sufficiently sized, oddly cobblestoned, where sidewalks are covered by roofs that have no gutters and drip huge amounts of rain on the main walkways. The most bizarre issue we encountered is the lack of microwave ovens. When I inquired twice about how to get one the staff acted as if I had requested a fur coat to be delivered to my room. They not only could not provide one to a room but could not provide one to use anywhere on the property. For those of us who over-order at expensive restaurants in town and bring home leftovers, this is a huge no sale for this hotel. Obviously, it's all about how they can make more money from you, assuming you are starving and can't exit the property to eat. Our maid was the best part of our stay and I would give her a 5 star rating. However, she could not have done anything about cleaning the A/C filter and after 4 nights I realized I was getting sick. The last night was cool enough to sleep with the balcony door open, but when we got to Kona the next day I realized I had full on bronchitis and had to go to the ER in Kona. Overall, this hotel, despite its view from the Rainbow Tower, is NOT worth it. Please do not stay here unless you just want a "resort" with a lot of stores where you pay a "resort" fee for non-heated pools and two small hot tubs to serve 4,000 guests.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Aloha Kurt V,

Thank you for taking time to share about your recent visit to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the views from your ocean front room in our iconic Rainbow Tower. The tower has recently been renovated and boasts beautiful ocean views. We are sorry to learn of the challenges you have experienced with our housekeeping and deeply regret that we were unable to resolve them during your stay. The cleanliness of our rooms is extremely important in ensuring our guests have a comfortable stay. We hope you are feeling better and will be sure this maintenance is addressed immediately. We thank you for your suggestions as we continuously explore ways that our team can enhance our guests’ experience. We hope you will allow us another opportunity in the future to welcome you back for a much more pleasant stay.

Mahalo,
Hilton Hawaiian Village Guest Services Team
JP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

チェックイン激混み、スタッフも普通、悪くはないが普通の大型ホテルという印象。
We stayed in tapa tower. No view but very huge room with big bathroom. It was really good stay

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
havre de grace, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I had a great time staying at this hotel. I will recommend it for all my friends who can afford to come to Hawii to visit and stay in there. It is clean, the staff are good and very helpful. There are sports for all time entertainment.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

The exterior is pretty awesome, but I was disappointed on the interior. While the furnishings weren't bad, the set-up was what I didn't like. I had a city-view, so I was thrilled to find that the window behind my tv had a partial ocean view...unfortunately, the furnishing was done is such a way that the couch was in front of the TV (though at an angle where you couldn't see the screen) and too short to see out the window and the bed had no view of the water...such a waste of a view! The main thing I hated was the climate control!!!!! You have basically NO control at all. It can be set to 68, but you can't change the temperature or the fan (it's on auto). Unfortunately, the room does NOT feel that cool....I called to see if they could do something and a maintenance man came up, pointed a handheld machine at the a/c vent and said it was blowing at 69. Due to the size of the room and the location of the vent (over 12 feet up and pointed at 2 angles...each at a wall), you could only feel it if you stood on furniture (I tried it....). I WAS MISERABLE! I undid the bed and either slept under just a sheet or under no coverings at all and still woke up all sweaty. At night, I would walk out to stand in the breeze on the balcony though I had to lean over a bit to get access. I tried leaving the door to the balcony open to cool the room down since it was cooler outside v. in, but the balcony was so big the breeze didn't enter the room...And the halls are completely non-climate controlled so that doesn't help.....I'd love to stay there again to enjoy the grounds, but I'm not sure I could handle the room temp. Only other two real complaints I had were the ridiculously long waits to talk to anyone at the front desk (regardless of the time) and the restaraunts - the one I really wanted to try was a steakhouse overlooking the water, but it's hardly ever open. I tried 6 times to go there and it was closed every visit! I wish they'd improve the hours or at least put something there that opens up so the view isn't wasted (maybe fresco - it was AWESOME and fairly priced)

Room Tip: bring a fan or see if you can find a room with a ceiling fan
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank brittney p
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Aloha brittney p,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the grounds and found it awesome. We sincerely apologize for the issue that you experienced with your ac. The temperature of the ac in the room is adjustable with 68 degrees being the lowest. We are truly sorry that your room did not cool down to a temperature that was comfortable for you. Our resort has several towers each offering unique characteristics and different room settings therefore another room in a different tower may have better met your needs. The Bali Steak and Seafood is open from Tuesday thru Saturdays from 5pm to 9pm. It is recommended that a reservation be made to guarantee the time that you would like to dine. We appreciate you taking your time to write a review and providing us with feedback as we are continuously striving to improve our services to our valued guests. We hope you will offer us another opportunity to welcome you back to HHV for a more enjoyable experience.

Mahalo,

Hilton Hawaiian Village Guest Services Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honolulu
Hilton Waikiki Beach
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,530 reviews

Been to Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort? Share your experiences!