“Nice place, shame about the sevice and food”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Brisbane
“Nice place, shame about the sevice and food”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My friend and I stayed for four nights at the Hawaiian Village. The grounds are lovely and well maintained and the room had great beds and pillows and the balcony view of the ocean was great. We were in the Ali Tower which I believe is one of the newer towers. Room was quiet and private.

As mentioned in other reviews shown here the Tropic Bar/Restaurant is terrible. You always have to wait at least 20 minutes + to get in despite numerous empty tables. You would think this meant it was worth the wait but this is not the case. The food is inedible both for breakfast and lunch. Service is not friendly or helpful. Only good part is the view and the music.

From booking in, tour bookings, and front desk majority of resort staff were unfriendly, unhelpful and certainly not keen to address any problems. I rang the desk to get a bottle opener sent up and was told the hotel did not have one and I would have to go out and purchase one. Hard to believe in a Hilton Hotel. When asking young man on the desk at the tour departure point a question about where the bus would depart from he replied "I have no idea" shrugged his shoulders and was totally unhelpful.

The $25 per day surcharge is a joke as the only thing we used was a short internet access and free movies and we were already paying top dollar for the room.

The playstation through which the "free" movies were played had a cord missing and it took two calls to reception who told me that they would do their best to get someone to look at it. Eventually a nice man turned up and fixed the problem but you would expect housekeeping to notice this when preparing the room and also expect prompt service to fix the problem.

The place was always in a frenetic state wherever you went and was definitely not a restful pleasant stay in a tranquil environment. The Hau Bar was awful and not the sort of beachside place I would watch the sunset as was advertised - it was more like a low class bar than a lovey place to watch the sunset and have a cocktail.

Room Tip: Ali Tower was good. You need to request a partial ocean view or front ocean view. Don't go the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,521)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just staying one night, so we reserved a fancy room on the corner (Rainbow Tower, 2 balconies) of the hotel facing Diamond Head on one side and the ocean of the other side. It was a fantastic view and we could hear the waves breaking on the beach all night long.

We were on the 5th floor, next time I will try for at least the 7th floor. The tops of the palm trees blocked a little of the view, but who cares.

Friday night is the fireworks, don't close your eyes or you will miss them, it doesn't last long, but watching from the balcony with a foo foo drink and the firework going off a little above and 100 yards away is the cats behind.

My big time saving tip is to join the Hilton Honors program before you arrive so that you have that fancy card in your hot little hand when you check in. There are two areas to check into the hotel- one line is really freaking long for regular check-in and the other line, which is non-existent, is for Hilton Honors- it costs nothing to join and saved us probably 45 minutes and it made us look like we were Big Deals, almost like a lady and a sir!

The room is fine, it was clean, the TV worked, the A/C worked, no mold, clean towels, wifi was weak in my particular room, comfortable bedding, Hot Water, missing batteries in the remote, just everything an average room should have.

Didn't Spa.
Didn't room service (not opposed to it, just didn't)
There was no sand on either balcony- which is shocking, so the room did get a good cleaning.
I will return again.

Room Tip: -Join Hilton Honors, -try the foo foo drinks, -don't take the kids (they would really love i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CnT_CPO
Geelong
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were a little unsure when we booked this hotel but now having been there, I would rebook in a heartbeat and say to others if you are looking for a relaxing location, you need look no further. It ticks all the boxes.

It delivered far more than we expected, that being beautifully clean, spacious grounds, and whilst it housed a large number of guests, there was always room to move around and enjoy the facilities without feeling you were being jostled by crowds. It was only. 10 min walk into the heart of Waikiki and it was nice to escape the hustle and bustle of the city centre and come back out to the 36 acres that were beachfront at the Village.

Staff were friendly and helpful, however I thought they should have asked if we enjoyed our stay or are they fearful of receiving negative feedback? That said my only criticism would be that the rooms weren't as clean as they could have been. Only little things but it was obvious that our room had not been vacuumed from the previous guests as there were still pretzel pieces in the track of the sliding door and our side tables and desk bench we could have written our name in the dust which would have been nice if it was cleaned.

I thought it was interesting that we paid a resort fee, payable at the end of our stay, however there was no room service which I would have thought would have been covered under that. We had what appeared to be an ice bucket in our room yet when I rang to get some ice and wine glasses I was told that they could no longer supply such things. So two bottle of wine and no glasses! Only suggestion to go to the ABC shop and buy some plastic ones. we went soth the option of the normal drinking glass, which doesn't create quite the same taste in those.

The rooms though were very spacious. We were in the Tapa tour which was in the middle and very central. The beds, comfort wise, were heavenly and the pillows also great. We felt that the information people could have been more helpful with local knowledge such as bus timetables etc but it seemed unless you were booking one of their tours they only gave you very basic information, however TheBus company were excellent anytime I called them.

Despite those few little comments, I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend this location, it really does have it all and has the feeling of being out on its own away from everyone and everything when it fact it is only 10-15 mins away from the major shopping centers and that is walking time.

Having seen the location of all the other high end hotels having now visited, to me there is no choice to make, you only need the Hilton Hawaiian village for your resort holiday.

Even though your staff didn't ask when we checked out, I thought i would tell you we had a lovely time. Thank you for helping make it a memorable holiday.

Room Tip: The rooms were very spacious so you would be happy with any that you were allocated.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LizMontereo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village while I was in Honolulu for the Marathon back in December. I can't say enough awesome things about this property. First of all, the view of Waikiki Beach and Diamondhead can't be beat, and the location of the hotel in proximity to other restaurants and bars was fantastic! The one thing I would recommend is to leave the hotel for food! There are a lot of awesome options in the area, and the food (especially at the Tropics Bar & Grill) was bad. However, if you are looking for a nice dinner, Bali Steak & Seafood was very very good (also on the property). The hotel also has a wonderful gym if you're looking to not slack off on workouts while you're in paradise!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Diamondhead!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had the best time. My kids got to feed the turtles and pet the penguins. Where are you ever going to be able to do that?!?! The pools were awesome. To be able to use the water slides (3 total) kids must be 36 inches tall, and with a life jacket or arm floaties. Water slides do close at 5pm. We rented a Hertz car right on the property. We arrived at about 3:30pm in the afternoon and were greeted with Kokui nut leis. There was maybe one family in front of us. Easy to check in. Nice reception. We were going to eat at the Bali Steak resturant, but no kids menu and we were told that it would be a 90 minute meal. So we left and went to the deli in between the towers and had a great dinner. We loved the fireworks, we paid extra for the Rainbow Revue and pool side seating for the fireworks, it included one drink. Not sure if it was worth it. If It was just me and my husband I would say not, but it did make it easy with our little kids. The music and little show was nice. The fireworks are pretty quick. The free DVD rentals were great for our kids. We rented a paddle boat/ kayak in the lagoon. We had a great time. It was hard figuring out which towers, were which. We stayed in the Lagoon tower, which is connected to the Grand Waikikian, this is part of the vacation club. The Diamond Head, Rainbow and Tapa tower are on the other side of the main lawn. We had a great time and I would highly recd this hotel for familes.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Penthouse in the Lagoon tower room 2468 great location. Over looked the slide pool...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is a beautiful and expansive 20 acre property that spreads out over a wide area. It has several towers of units to accommodate it's guests and provides restaurants, shopping and activities to keep everyone busy and happy. They even have penguins! They provide fireworks on Friday nights over the beach which is a nice treat. We did not book an ocean view room since we were going to be leaving on a cruise from the hotel and decided we would have our ocean view on the ship. We booked a garden view which was lovely and still had a bit of an ocean view from our balcony. The Hawaiian Village has been around for a while so the rooms do show some age but they are still nice enough to enjoy.

Room Tip: Our room was in the Diamond Head Tower and over looked the garden/pool. At night there were live ban...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had booked with my family and parents. Originally my parents were in another tower and they were very accomodating in making sure we could be in the same tower together.
The children especially loved the lagoon and slide pools although they weren't able to use the slides as much. The opening hours for the slides really needsto be longer than 5pm. By the time we came back from our day trips the slides would be closed which was very disappointing for my kids as this was the main reason for booking the hotel.
Its a little out from the main shopping of Waikiki, which can add to your travel expenses unless you were willing to walk everywhere.
Overall a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh