Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$189
$254
$209
Marriott Hotels
  • Beachfront
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$204
Agoda.com
$420
$336
16,029 results
All reviewsrainbow towerali towersuper pooltropics bartapa poolprivate poolpronto picklehilton hawaiian villageround table pizzaabc storeparadise poolwaikiki beachocean viewfireworks showdiamond headfriday night fireworkslots of shops
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a huge resort property where the staff and amenities are a bit tired. Check in took some time even at the Hilton Honors counter. We were a bit early and were told to leave our bags at the bell desk, which also took some time as one staff member was always on the phone and the other was overwhelmed. We were told that we would be called when our room was ready, but that never happened and we checked ourselves sometime latter and got our room keys. We asked that someone bring the luggage up to the room (there is construction going on that made the journey a long one). Several calls and two hours later, with the family unable to change or shower and the day shot, I retrieved our bags from the bell desk.

There is clearly a staffing and leadership issue at this property. The property feels more like a factory than a resort, and management is being rewarded for profit and not guest satisfaction. When it was raining, for instance, I asked the front desk if they had umbrellas to loan, and was told that they used to provide these, but no longer did so. We ended up purchasing umbrellas from the ABC store on property. All amenities are for rent at typical resort prices, but there is also a resort fee of $25/day. The first item on the list for this charge is the outstanding wifi, but the wifi in our room was substandard and very slow.

On the plus side, the location is good. The beach is nice and the walk to shopping and the center of Waikiki is reasonable. There is a free shuttle that picks up just outside the property. There are free DVD rental stations in the towers.

At bottom, this is a very busy resort property that is thinly staffed. It's more of a factory than resort. With a change in culture that rewards guest satisfaction and not just the bottom line, this could be a good place to spend a few days in Honolulu. Unless and until that happens, I would recommend another location, and for you Hilton Honors folks, there are Double Tree and Embassy locations nearby.

Room Tip: Try to book the Rainbow Tower as it's closest to the beach and breakfast.
3  Thank Mark F
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Just finished a week in Honolulu and had a wonderful stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Stayed in the Tapa Tower, rooms were clean and neighbors were quiet. There's a little bit of construction going on the property right now but it didn't effect the trip at all. The price is a little high for the rooms but I didn't feel cheated by that, just a sign of the times I guess. They have a penguin exhibit here, they come out early in the morning so I figure if its a good enough place for the penguins to live in year round then its nice enough to stay in for a short visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor if you enjoy quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank KWAJBEAR
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Hilton Resort, was a fairly large facility, really making it's name of village very apt.
There were restaurants, an number of swimming pools, comprehensive concierge and booking facilities. You really don't need to leave the complex to have a fairly good holiday.

My complaints were the overall cost is reflective of the size and services offered, so you're not going to save money on the initial outlay. If you want to include daily breakfast, it will cost extra.
They put on a resort fee on top which just makes things worse from a cost point of view.
The rooms aren't anything special considering the price, and seem getting a bit old now.

There's all an effort to sell you timeshare in order to get a free ticket for the luau. Not the most pleasant of things

Also be aware that the hotel is on the north side of the beach so getting to the rest of the areas is a bit of a pain. I timed a 20 minute walk to International market place or a 15 minutes bus journey, but of course you have to wait for the bus!

On the positive side, they give free wifi in your hotel room, you can watch DVD's free, as its included in your fees. There are plenty of restaurants where you can eat, and the prices are reasonable. I enjoyed eating there.
There are plenty of shops even ABC stores, which makes things easy

My tips are, spend time to read all the stuff they give you and try to walk the grounds to get your bearings, its a bit confusing at first.

Friday and Saturday is a pain to get a seat in a restaurant so go early.

Big Plus,I didn't see any cockroaches, which I hate!

If you have the money and a young family I'd say its a good bet, if you're single or couple, give it a miss and go closer to the action

Room Tip: I had a partial View Room in Tapa Tower, If I chose again I might forget the view or go full view depending on my needs. The view does give you much really. Elevators are quick so don't worry about getting a high floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Aloha Neil_From_Wanchai,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We are pleased to hear that you had a good holiday at our resort. HHV currently has a mandatory $25 resort charge which includes many benefits such as free internet as well as unlimited DVD/playstation game rentals (please visit our website for the complete list of the benefits). We regret to hear that you were not satisfied with your room. Our resort has several towers with various room types to meet each guest’s preference and couple of the towers has been recently renovated.

We appreciate you taking your time to provide us with feedback as we are continuously striving to improve our service to our valued guests. We hope you return to our resort and we look forward to service you again in the future.

Mahalo,

Hilton Hawaiian Village Guest Services Team

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is my second time at the Hilton Waikoloa, and both times were fantastic, great service all the way around. First visit with 2 teen grandchildren who had a great time, checking out the pools and beaches, I felt very safe letting them roam free.
Second trip June 2012 was to celebrate my sons wedding and act as child care provider for two 4 year olds. I stayed at the Alii Tower and my son and his children at the Rainbow Tower, again service was great, food at restaurants was just a little pricey but good food. Shops accross the street provided cereal and milk breakfasts and Pizza Hut quick lunches.
Pools and beaches where wonderful, clean and relaxing, 4 year olds loved the Lagoon and calm waves beachside.
I would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: The Rainbow Tower has great views of the beach and pool, get higher room, Alli tower rooms facing pools and beach are quiet and quite comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Good: There is a lot going on at this resort, and it's centrally located. Rooms and common areas are clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. On the bus route, so you really don't need a car. Free WIFI at the Starbucks on site, as well as the McDonald's across the street, so save you're money... you're gonna need it.

The Bad: First, make sure they don't put you in the Diamond Head Tower! Major construction going on here and nobody ever clued me in until I felt the jackhammers over my head. Fortunately, they moved me without hesitation. This reno will be going on all of 2013, so be aware when you book. Second, EVERY single thing you do will cost you. Want a sip of water? You will find ATM machines where water fountains could be. Want to play a DVD that you brought with you? Gotta pay for the player. Want a chair on the beach? That'll cost you, too. I hate the mindset that this puts me in, btw. Not how I want to feel on vacation. Third, While there are a number of pools, they are all small, crowded, over chlorinated and none of them heated. Not even the so-called kid's pool. So if you have children, they will be cold and you will be cold going in with them. The beach is packed, so it's a bit of a conundrum.

The So-So: I leaned towards this hotel because of the Camp Penguin kids club. I can only compare it to the Disney Cruise kids club, so maybe I'm spoiled. But it was not so great. We chose to only use it 1 1/2 days -- partly because my son got bored with the schedule and partly because on one particular day, everyone was Japanese and my kid literally had one other kid to communicate with. Staff was nice, but I'm not sure that's enough.

The Verdict: I chose this hotel over the JW Marriott because that was slightly more expensive with no kids club. But if I were to do it again, I would choose the Marriott. If they don't nickel and dime you over there, then the price should work out about the same. And more remote means less crowds... I hope. In a nutshell: keep shopping. If you want a Hilton, my understanding is that the one on the big island is much nicer.

Room Tip: Avoid the Diamond Head Tower at all costs. Renovation! We stayed in Kalia Tower, which was nice and had its own pool that was a little less crowded than the others. Plus its own Starbucks. Either way, ask for a higher up room so it's quiet.
9  Thank Newtzlaw