“This place is a zoo.”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We just spent four nights at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and we came away pretty disappointed. I had stayed here many times as a child, and I had fond memories.

I think the primary problem is that they have built too many towers. The place is overcrowded. We walked by the breakfast buffet line today, and people were strewn all about the pool area waiting. Did not look pleasant.

The pools aren't big enough to capacitate all of the expansion, and as it is a family resort, it isn't uncommon for pools to be shut down due to turds in the water. The beach is really nice, but it is also packed, and as it is a public beach, you will be paying for a chair rental. Speaking of chairs, the pool chairs are also pretty run down and could use replacing. The other thing is that you only get one towel card per guest. So if you want to spread a towel on your chair and dry off with another, no can do here. Better bring your own towels.

The room service options are pretty poor. Standard city Hilton / Marriott properties have significantly better options.

I suppose it's nice that every room comes with a PS3, but if you came to Hawaii to play video games, that's another issue - but you can bring Blu ray or DVD movies to watch.

Our room was really nice. As Hilton diamond members, we were upgraded to a corner room in the rainbow tower. The room wasn't anything special, but the bed was comfy, and it was very clean.

All in all, we won't ever stay here again. It's a zoo. The place is overrun with rif raf. The strict towel allocation makes me feel like as a guest I'm treated as a potential criminal...

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank hungarianhc
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Aloha hungarianhc,

Mahalo for returning to the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We appreciate your loyalty as a returning guest and valued Hhonors Diamond member. It is to our delight to hear that you enjoyed the upgrade to a Rainbow Tower corner suite. Breakfast is served in multiple outlets daily and we understand your concern for resolution where queues are present. We apologize that we have failed to notify you upon check-in that although the front desk initially allocates one towel card per registered guest, we would be happy to issue additional towel cards for your comfort. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with our team to prevent further oversights. We hope you will reconsider in allowing us to continue to serve you.

Mahalo,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a very bustling hotel. We had a fantastic corner room with 2 balconies overlooking Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach and the ocean. Restaurants on site were expensive but there are many great places to eat close by. Staff was courteous and helpful at all times. We did not use a lot of the amenities at this hotel as we were here seeing the major attractions before heading to Maui. The Hilton was a big part of our Hawaiian experience. We stayed in the Rainbow Tower, no complaints except that pesky beach grooming tractor who started about 5:30 am. We just got up and closed the windows so it wasn't a major issue. It was all part of their very meticulous groundskeepng at the Hotel. We would highly recommend this hotel if staying in Honolulu

Room Tip: The Corner King suite is well worth the money, wonderful views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I travel a lot and have become disappointed in the general customer service offered, but was greaty encouraged after my most recent stay here, March 12-15. We met 4 others staying here and upon check in requested to be close to our friends. The front-desk agent worked incredibly hard and was able to get us into the Rainbow Tower, upgraded our room and the room was ready for us to check in. A triple play! Also, we unfortunately had to check out a day early and they again accomodated my request AND refunded the points I had used for that night stay. Very pleased. The hotel also offers a lovely lagoon for swimming, wonderful beach where you can also snorkel and many fun shops. I also like being down at the end of Waikiki where the beach is a bit quieter and much wider. Can't wait for my next stay!

Room Tip: Rainbow tower.. Diamond head view, high floor, expensive,but you won't get a better view anywher...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Where do i start we asked for luxury and a beach side view to relax and enjoy our honeymoon.

We got a block of flats with dated decor a slim view of the ocean as there were two other blocks in front of ours.

We were given a twin room on our honeymoon two separate beds and below us there was construction work going on from 6am.

The place was disgusting the bars the restaurant the pools everything the service was non existent the staff were not helpful it was not worth the visit.

We had screaming kids in the room next to us whose parents thought it was ok to let them bang the walls at 5am every morning.

Any complaints were not adhered to we had to bribe the receptionist to change our room this is not a honeymoon location its Hawaii's equivalent to Blackpool.

We did eventually get a better room but still plenty of noisy construction rude staff (tour operators) and a glimmer of the sea.

The lagoon looks beautiful but its dull with nothing exciting and the sand is strange almost like its been brought in from somewhere else.

If your going to hawaii find a private resort away from all the crap. But in all honesty Hawaii is not the image that you fantasise about its average at best.

• Stayed: July 2012
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Aloha CKali,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village and congratulation on your wedding! It is our great regret to hear of your unpleasant stay. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your bedding request but glad to learn that our Front Desk was able to accommodate you by changing room. We are sorry to hear that your stay was spoiled by the noise from the neighbors. Our security team is available 24hours to assist our guests with noise disturbance. Our team members are committed to providing the best customer service, which we failed to exceed our goal this time. Your experience will be shared with our team members for the improvement. We thank you for your time to write a review of your recent visit and we hope you reconsider and give us another opportunity to serve you for more pleasant stay.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband chose the Rainbow tower and we were fortunate enough to have a corner room with two balconies on the 30th floor of a 31 floor building! The morning sun rose on the Diamond Head side with the sunset being viewed from our ocean front room. It was amazing. On Friday night fireworks were displayed on the beach and the crackers exploded outside our room at eye level (from a safe distance) this was the best part of our trip and a high point on my honeymoon.
The Hilton is a resort where you can find everything you need but it's close to the main beach do you have the best if both worlds We really loved the buffet breakfasts too. Looking forward to returning again next year :)

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Lindak555
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village because we were getting married there. Our banquet/events coordinator assisted us booking at the Kalia Tower. The gentleman at the front desk that checked us in was very friendly. The night before the wedding the engineering gentlemen that helped us with our TV remote in the suite we stayed in. Although we needed assistance for just the TV remote he noticed that we did not have any more coffee and returned back to our room with more coffee packets. THANK YOU! Attention to detail! Housekeeping also did an amazing job. Everything from the Ceremony to the reception was wonderful. We had a great time during our wedding. At the end of the wedding we decided to save the top of our cake however the suite that I stayed in did not have a regular size fridge but two mini fridges. I was not able to fit the cake in the mini fridge so I called down to the guest service agent to see if someone can help me. The response I got was, "oh we used to have room service staff but not any more so there is no one to pick up the cake." I explained about the mini fridge not able to fit and was a bit frustrated over the phone so I asked, "can you see if there is something you can do. I don't want my cake to sit out." The expression that I got from the guest service agent sounded like he did not want to help me but replied “let me see what we can do.” I later got a reply back and was informed that the Tropics restaurant was able to hold the cake in their fridge but I would have to walk the cake over. I did not want to make a fuss so I walked the cake over myself. I was very upset but at the same time glad that I was able to get my cake refrigerated.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Aloha gemzNgreg,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village! Congratulations on your marriage! We are delighted to hear that you were married on our property and you had a wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing the compliments regarding our front desk staff, maintenance, and housekeeper succeeding in sharing the aloha spirit.

We sincerely apologize for the challenges that you experienced regarding refrigerating your wedding cake. We are glad that we were ultimately able to find a refrigerator for your cake.
Thank you for taking your time to write a review as your feedback will assist us in reaching our goal in providing the best service to our guests. We hope you return to HHV and we look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Mahalo,

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Lovely hotel, beautifully situated on a wonderful beach. Constant weddings - interesting to watch the photographs being taken.

Hotel has a superb pool.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Plenty of places to visit nearby, if you so desire.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny. Just ask when booking - friendly staff.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family