“Loveliest view of the beach and Diamondhead from my balcony and great staff!!”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just returned from Waikiki and can't say enough good things about our stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort. The front desk staff was courteous and knowledgeable and our checkin was streamlined and quick. The grounds and pools are beautiful and the beaches gorgeous and inviting. We had an oceanfront room in the Rainbow Tower and our room was fantastic. We could sit on our balcony and enjoy the beach day or night. We enjoyed the live music at the Tapa Bar and the Tropics Bar. The music was a nice mix of traditional Hawaiian and modern. Meals at the Tropic Grill and the Bali were perfect and the drinks were most refreshing( be careful as they are not stingy with the alcohol). The sunset view from the beach in front of the resort is one of the most beautiful on all of Oahu. Plenty of beach activities to be had. My girlfriend learned to paddle board and we took a catamaran to Turtle Bay reef and saw sea turtles. The pool was nice to rinse off in after a beach day. We used both bell service and valet parking and everybody bent over backwards to please us. Our room was kept spotless. Waikiki shopping is an easy stroll away if you like to shop. I loved the dedicated computer controlled elevators which eliminated waiting when going from our room to the beach and back This was my second stay at this resort and I'm planning a third stay in six weeks as a stopover on a business trip.

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms are well worth spending a little extra. The views of the beach and Diamondhead...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DoccDive
Write a ReviewReviews (15,344)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Vacation is still in progress, but so far there is nothing not to like about this place. Ok, maybe one thing, the bedroom door of our upgraded suite and the bathroom door bump each other. Seriously, we had a great check-in experience (thank you Ren,) all the staff has been friendly, the kids love the pools both with and without slides, the stretch of beach is great, there is easy access to the rest of Waikiki, the rooms are spotless, and yes, it is a very big place. But overcrowded? I haven't felt that way for one second. Our room is in a building that is clearly not new, but it is very clean, and very comfortable. Never have had to wait for an elevator and we are high up. Tonight we walked all around Waikiki and visited some of the other hotels we considered. We are so happy we chose HHV. The Wailana Coffee Shop across the street was a fabulous breakfast for very little money. Very very happy here at HHV.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank doclorenzo
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here one night before heading up to Turtle Bay. The location was great for exploring Waikiki and Honolulu. However, the rooms were dated and the hotel seemed a bit dirty. They were undergoing renovations while we were there and hopefully these issues will be resolved soon. Good food and snack options. Overall it was OK but for the price I will probably stay at a newer Marriott or Sheraton next time I'm in Waikiki.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Aloha SarahBee1981,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! Thank you for your patience during our current rejuvenation project. Guests can visit our website for the latest updates on our renovations and to view photo tours of our resort and accommodations. Thank you for expressing your concern and we hope to welcome you back for a more enjoyable stay the next time you are in town.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Hotel does not pay attention to comments in booking asked for xtra towels and ac on vip mode as this was not done prior to my arrival
Tv is very slow and difficult to work
Chairs at pool are old and not comfortable
Takes several minutes to get through to guest request line
Rude service when asked to check out at noon i remind you i am a gold hilton member
Drinks are over priced
Continental breakfast in terrace was uninspiring and boring and has gone down in value tremendously
Breakfast at tropics great view but overpriced and poor service
Fitness center is packed
Good point was high floor and ocean view in rainbow 2709
No upgraded offerred as gold member

• Stayed: February 2013
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Aloha Zackm199,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We sincerely apologize for the challenges that you experienced during your stay. We try our best to accommodate our guest requests and do apologize if we did not meet your expectations. We do value our Hilton Honor member’s loyalty, especially Gold and Diamond members, and do offer complimentary late check-out as well as upgrades based on availability. Complimentary breakfast is available at the VIP Terrace for Gold and Diamond Hhonor members or they also have the option of getting a discount for a breakfast buffet at the Rainbow Lanai.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the ocean view from the Rainbow tower. We appreciate you taking your time to write a review and providing us with feedback as we are continuously striving to perfect our customer service to our guests. We hope you return to our resort and provide us with another opportunity to service you.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Hi so i just stayed here last week, i CHOOSE this Hotel from trip advisor recommendations, Well im going to be brutally honest WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!! The hotel is not located close to the main areas of waikiki yes it has a beach out the front but if you want to go for dinner or shopping its a mile walk, which for the first 2 days wasnt so bad,but after that we were catching taxis in and out which cost $12 each way! we also booked a day to pearl habour threw the conceige what a stuff up after getting up at 5 in the morning to only find out he didnt book us on the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The hotel is complete rip off the rooms are dated and the hotel staff are rude, we also had to pay an extra 25 dollars a day for internet which we were never told about! I book beach front and got the building furtherest from the beach the kalia tower yes it did have part ocean views but when i looked down i saw cemented carpark. I am not one to complain but the vibe at the hotel was restful it was quite stressful, it my first visit to hawaii a complete shambles! we also stayed the Modern Honolulu for the last 3 nights what a different the hotel staff were lovely they went above and beyond there job roles the rooms where amazing and the hotel had a incredibly relaxed vibe! i would highly recommend to not always stay at the BIG NAMED HOTELS and to find the small boutique hotels this place was incredible!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank kylie m
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Aloha kylie m,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We regret to hear we have failed to exceed your expectations on your recent visit. We are a popular full-service beachfront resort dedicated to providing our guests the best accommodations in paradise and sharing the warmest aloha spirit thru our service. Thru valuable guests’ feedback we are able to diversify our resort offerings making it convenient for guests to find something here for everyone. We apologize you did not feel our team carried out our goal to enhance our guests’ experience. Thank you for sharing your comments as we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back for the true Hilton Hawaiian Village guest experience.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My first trip to Hawaii was 7 nights in January 2013 for the Pro Bowl. My booking was through a travel agency, who choose the HHV’s Rainbow Tower, deluxe ocean view room. The HHV is a mega sized complex and can be confusing. The choice has to be made of which tower to stay in: Rainbow, Ali’i, Tapa, Kalia or Diamond Head and which view: ocean front, ocean view, partial ocean view, resort view, corner room, etc. The only beachfront/oceanfront towers are Rainbow and Ali’i. Diamond Head is behind Ali’i. Tapa and Kalia are the furthest from the beach. There are two other towers, Lagoon and Grand Waikikian (Hilton Grand Vacation timeshares) and a Mid-Pacific Conference Center.

Pools at the HHV: Super and Keiki, Tapa, Paradise, Kalia Tower, and Ali'i Tower. Super pool is outdoor and 10,000 square feet and Keiki pool (children's pool) is next to it. Tapa pool has a nice bubbling shallow end. Paradise pool has slides, waterfalls and spas and is 5,000 square feet. Kalia Tower is an infinity pool, but is on the fourth floor. Ali'i Tower pool is only for guests in that tower. There is also the Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon, which is a five acre salt-water lagoon and beach. During my stay Paradise was packed with people because it is away from the main crowd at the hotel (the spas were overly packed). Super pool had no swimmers, because there is no privacy from the crowds at the Tropics and Hau Tree Bars. The same was true with the Tapa pool and Tapa Bar. I did not see any signs with posted pool hours, but I did see a sign that swimmers needed a wristband, but I don't know if that was an old policy because I did not see any swimmers with wristbands (and I was never offered a wristband at check in).

The beach just outside of the hotel was a little bit less crowded than the rest of Waikiki Beach. The HHV is at one end of the beach, and you can walk as far as you would like to see the other beachfront hotels, but it can be a real hike. There are many other non-beachfront hotels within walking distance.

There are many shopping and restaurant options, but you will need your map to find them. Some of them are in the Rainbow Bazaar (an area across from the main lobby), but most are sprinkled around the complex. You can also find lower cost food options a short walk away, such as at the corner of Kalia and Ala Moana (Wailana Coffee House) or at the snack bar of the hotel next door (Hale Koa). ABC Stores are mini-marts where you can get almost anything… there is one is in the Rainbow Bazaar, but there are other locations nearby with better prices. If you are looking for pampering, the Mandara Spa is located in the Kalia Tower.

We arrived via a Robert’s Hawaii airport shuttle, which drops off at the Tapa Tower bus depot (distance from the airport is less than 10 miles). If you sign up for any tours, they pick up here. The walk from the bus depot to the main lobby registration desk was quite a hike, especially with luggage. There is a bellman to take luggage, but we did not realize how far the main lobby was from the bus depot. There is almost no signage pointing to the main lobby, but we followed the crowd and found it. The check-in line was long (this was late afternoon). I had two reservations (due to the travel agent booking) and the front desk staff was not sure if I would have to change rooms mid-vacation. I needed to find where to pick up a package from the travel agency with all the paperwork for my Pro Bowl package, but the desk staff did not know where to send me. I had a room number, and when I asked where that was, they gave me a map and vaguely pointed in the direction I had just came from. Instead I decided to try and find the Rainbow Tower, which was luckily near to the lobby.

The elevators seemed to puzzle all guests…. you push your floor button on a display and it tells you which elevator to go to. The wait for elevators was usually 5-10 minutes, but on a couple of occasions it was 20 minutes and the elevators going up were jammed full. The room had a king bed, small fridge (hidden in a cabinet), in room safe, coffee pot, and a gorgeous view of the ocean from the lanai (and chairs to sit and enjoy the view). My complaint would be that the room was always warm when you re-entered…. the thermostat reset to 80 degrees, no matter what you set it at when you left the room. If you opened the door to the lanai, the A.C. reset itself. Local calls from the room are $1.50. The Hilton cable channels ran endless commercials for activities at the hotel and on the island. Maid service during our stay was excellent.

When you check in you receive a plastic card to exchange for a towel. The towel stands are near the pools, and when you return the towel, you get the card back (otherwise you pay a $10 fee when you check out). The towel was nothing spectacular, but it was nice to not drag sand back to the room. You just have to be aware of the opening/closing times of these stands and may have to go to a different stand to return your towel (I only found one open in the early evening).

I found a card in the room asking me to stop at the concierge desk for a “free gift” and when I brought down the card, they tried to sign me up for a time share presentation. For listening, they will give you tickets to the Starlight Luau, but I had no interest in wasting 2 hours. The "free gift" was a bag and a discount card that could be used at some stores on property (nothing spectacular). One other employee tried to sign me up for a timeshare presentation later in my trip. The concierge and activities desks seemed more interested in selling me tourist packages (and collecting a fee) than answering questions.

Be aware that you are paying a $25 per day “resort fee”, for what, who knows. You can sign up for crafts and activities, but if you don’t ask about them, they won’t tell you. There is a kids camp (Camp Penguin), Starlight Luau (Sun-Thurs), Rockin' Hawaiian Rainbow Revue (Fridays). There is live music in the Tapa Bar (Fri-Sat), and at the Tropics Bar. We could hear the band in the Tropics Bar from our room every night, so if you want peace and quiet, request a high level floor.

There is a Hertz rental car kiosk on site (open limited hours). Make sure to get a GPS…. it was a lifesaver (roads are not well marked, many are one way). Self-parking is $27 (parking garage), valet is $33 (at the main lobby). If you want to send any mail there is a small mailbox in the main lobby (small and gold, to the side of the registration desk) and a U.S. post office in the Diamond Head Tower.

The gems I found were the penguin and turtle pool (near Ali'i Tower, be sure to see their morning feeding), koi ponds, parrots and macaws (only during certain hours), beautiful flora, sculptures, chapel, and waterfalls. Costumed torch lighters run around the property at dusk and light the torches. Friday nights at 7:45 pm sharp there are fireworks on the beach, but they are incredibly loud and tourists from other hotels come on property to see them.

The hotel offers baggage storage and hospitality rooms if you need to check out in the morning and have some time before your flight home.

The HHV is undergoing renovations, but it did not have any effect on us besides having to walk by cordoned off construction areas.

Overall experience: everything is expensive…. food, tourist attractions, beach activities. I stumbled onto several pamphlets with coupons for local attractions… great find! A Hawaii coupon book is good investment. When shopping, many small stores will offer you a discount, so be sure to ask. Front desk staff at the HHV could have been more courteous (and faster). Other staff (maids, valets) were extremely friendly and personable. Make sure to keep your hotel map and don't be afraid to explore. When I asked for directions from hotel workers I would get a useless vague point.

I would definitely return to Honolulu, but to get more quiet and privacy, I would look into one of the resorts on the north or west ends of the island.

Room Tip: High floors are quieter and will have a better view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank oaktoncc
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Aloha oaktoncc,

We hope you enjoyed the Pro Bowl in Hawaii and Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We thank you for taking the time to share your feed back from recent visit. We apologize for the confusion, and thank you for pointing it out about the wristband. We temporally discontinued the wristband, and adopted a new towel system. We are very sorry to hear about the AC in the room. We have Guest Service team available 24 hours to assist guest, as we are committed to providing comfortable accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience with our concierge, and the front desk team. We will definitely share your comment with our teams for improvements in guest service. We are so happy to hear that our Housekeeping, and Valet team was able to share the aloha spirit with you! We hope you return to our resort and provide us another opportunity to share the aloha spirit from every team member in the Village.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I stay at the HHV a couple times a year. It's my favorite hotel on the planet. So, here's what you need to know:

The Good:

1. The staff at the hotel is fantastic.
2. The hotel is located on the beach. So whether you want to sit by the pool or on the beach, it's your option.
3. There's a Starbucks on the property.
4. There are a bunch of food options.
5. Beach/pool towels are provided to you.
6. If you're a HH member, you can almost always get an upgrade.
7. They have an excellent day camp for kids.
8. The business center is perfect for all of your needs.
9. The Ali'i tower has a private pool with cushioned lawn chairs. It's nice and quiet. But it is restricted to those staying in that tower.
10. They have live music at one of the restaurants on most days and nights. They stop at about 10 PM which is nice.

The Bad:

1. The food is expensive.
2. It's not very close to Waikiki and the trip can't get costly day after day. It's a long walk. To me anyways.
3. Sometimes, the main pool closes early for special events.
4. The resort hosts conventions from all over the world. When they're happening, it's busy with people.
5. Hotels are now required to charge a $25 a night fee. This is not quoted in the booking price.
6. Parking is expensive.
7. The pool, while nice, needs to be swept of debris more often.

Advice:

1. Book in advance and attempt to get a room in the Rainbow or Ali'i tower.
2. I don't ever rent a car and save a ton as a result. It's a $10 shuttle ride from the airport.
3. Get to the pool early in the morning to get a seat. 10 AM or so works for me.
4. If you have a flight later in the day, you can reserve a room to shower etc. Before leaving. They will also store your bags for the entire day.
5. Although there are a multitude of food options, expect about $20 a person for lunch. It's easier to get sandwiches at the ABC store that's located on property.
6. I rarely leave the resort. Everything you need is right here.
7. Schedule your ride to the airport to pick you up about 2.5 hours before your flight. The hotel is typically the last stop before the airport for most shuttle which can be nice. With that said, you are also the first to be dropped off from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013