“Lots of mixed reviews”

Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
chicago
“Lots of mixed reviews”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

As HH members we booked the last 2 nights of our vacation at the Hawaiian Village. We arrived early and had to wait for our room. We waited about an hour but there is so much to see that time passed rather quickly and soon we found ourselves on the 23rd floor of the Rainbow Tower. After staing at a hotel with no view we were amazed by how the view of the beach and Diamond Head and for the first hour or so just sat on the balcony and stared. This hotel is self contained ( yes there is a resort fee) but everything is there. No need for a car rental. My husband I did rent a car for a day (as many visitors do to avoid parking) and drove around the island) and returned it to avoid the parking fees. Car rental was $35.00 for the day! We walked the entire property and found every area to be clean and well maintained. Our room was clean and well stocked with towels and toiletries and the bed was very confortable. There is something for everyone at this location but be sure to go to the lagoon for a nice salt water experience, no crowds and learn to paddle or take the paddle boats for a spin. We love this property and can't wait to return next year! AND if you are in Waikiki Hilton or not don't forget the fireworks at 745 it is spectacular!

Room Tip: If you book online take the option for a ocean view or ocean fron room. Although this increases the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjrdnx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Riverside, California
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village over Thanksgiving. It was beautiful!! Weather was wonderful. The hotel was crowded, however it didn't bother me. Best beach in Waikiki. It's larger than the others, so there was always plenty of room. Reserve a corner king in the Rainbow Tower. Best tower, and best way to get a great view. I was on the 7th floor and it was still good. Wouldn't want to go any lower than that. The Benihana's on the property was excellent. Tropics Restaurant has a great atmosphere. We were not crazy about the food. Service was great everywhere we went. Pools are a little too crowded, however not as bad as the other hotels in Waikiki, that are much smaller.

Room Tip: Rainbow Tower, corner king. Try for the 7th floor or above.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 2, 2012

If you're looking for a family place just to hang your hat for a few days, this may be the place for you. Especially if you enjoy paying resort fees based essentially on the location. If you want to be pampered , not an ideal choice.

Parking; spring for the valet as its only $6/day more than self park, & the self park garage is rather remote and has many dangerous crossings for pedestrians.

Rooms: Go for the Ali'i tower no matter how nice the room in another tower. You only get access to the nice gym and other amenities if you are in the Ali'i.

Room Service: really really shallow menu - e.g. only sandwiches salads and pizza for lunch. I guess that forces you to use the restaurants downstairs if you want anything like local cuisine. Be aware though that the nice steakhouse (Bali) closes at 9 PM. On Saturday! Also, no champagne glasses will be delivered to your room. Not so good for romance. That's terrible, really! Not even plastic ones?

On the plus side, the sheets were nice. The staff was always friendly and tried to help, but many things were out of their control. The beach access is good. The stores are nice. There are tons of things to do with your kids. But don't set your expectations too high.

I won't be back to this property.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Archeptolemus
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Aloha Archeptolemus,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our offerings. Guests with vehicles may choose to valet at the Main Lobby, Kalia Tower, or Grand Waikikian porte cochere. Otherwise, guests can choose to self- park in our centralized garage that is marked with safety signs/crossings and provides easy access to our resort towers. There is a fitness center for all registered guests to enjoy on the fourth floor of the Kalia Tower, near the Mandara Spa. Fresh connection offers a selection of menu items with breakfast and dinner service room delivery available. We apologize that Fresh Connection does not offer the delivery of glassware as they do not sell alcohol. Your feedback is greatly appreciated so that adjustments can be made to better enhance our guests’ experience. We hope you will reconsider visiting us again the next time you come to Oahu.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We are a couple in our late 40's. We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian village for 8 nights at the end of August into September 2011. We stayed in the Ali tower. The room met all our needs and was kept in great shape by the staff. The bed was very comfortable. The second level pool was wonderful for relaxing in peace. The restaurants we went to were varied both in cost and quality but were all enjoyed. She went to the spa for a massage and was very satisfied. The beach area was nice and we loved the gentle surf.

Room Tip: We stayed on the Diamond head side of the Ali Tower. We could hear the trucks in the morning even t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed December 1, 2012

When they say village, they mean village. This place is huge with lots of shops and restaurants. I still don't know half of the stuff that is on this resort and we stayed for almost a week.

Check In (4/5): Unlike the other reviews, we had a seamless check in. However, we checked in on a Tuesday afternoon. Very friendly frontdesk and quick service.

Bellhop (5/5): Very quick to get all our luggage up to our rooms.

Valet (4/5): Fast service but pricey at $30/day. Self Parking was only $6 cheaper so we opted for valet. They scan your ticket and within minutes our car arrived.

Grounds (5/5): Super clean, lush, and beautiful grounds. We loved the animals on the resorts. My sister even got some fish food from a caretaker to feed the fishes. The trees and flowers were gorgeous and well taken care of.

Room Service (3/5): It was a hit or miss. One day we would have a spotless room and the next day it would be the bare minimum.

Room (5/5): We absolutely loved our oceanfront room in the rainbow tower. It was a dream to wake up with the view of Diamond Head and Waikiki Beach. We had a great size room with plenty of storage, a decent bed, and the A/C worked great even though the weather was perfection. The balcony is a good size and we loved sitting back watching the beach and the activities below. The bathroom wasn't the largest, but it was roomy enough for my sister and I to share.

Elevators (1/5): The idea while good doesn't work in a real world situation. You pressed in your floor and they assign you to one of the elevators. What they didn't account for was the number of people who needed to get in the elevators. So many times, they'd assigned you to a specific elevator where 10 people are waiting for it already. You can continue to enter in your floor number but it will still take you back to the original assigned elevator until it goes back up or down. At one point my bro took the stairs down from the 10th floor and beat us. We lost a lot of time waiting for the elevators especially during peak times.

Restaurants (2/5):
-Rainbow Lanai for breakfast (3/5): The spread for the breakfast buffet was very good with good stations and lots of options for American style and asian style. The service was nice since all they had to do with bring a check and drinks. However, it was $27/pp and we didn't eat nearly that much per person at all. Great view of the beach.
-Tropics for breakfast (1/5): Long wait, slow service, expensive meals, poor portions, and slow to get food. Avoid for breakfast at all cost. Also has great view of the beach.
-Hau Tree Bar (2/5): Good for drinks, to rest, and to people watch. However, do not go for the low quality and over priced food. Nice waitresses but very slow service.
-Bali Steakhouse (3/5): Nice view and atmosphere but the service was quite slow and sparsed once again. My brother had the steak which he said was subpar and they forgot to give him a steak knife. It took us forever to get anyone's attention to bring out a steak knife. I had the pink snapper which was very good, but my father's lobster wasn't good at all.

Beach (4/5): Great beach, but it does get quite crowded. It didn't bother us a lot though. If you are looking for a quiet, romantic, relaxing beach, they made not be it. They are lots of family with small children at this resort. We liked that the beach is calm here compared to some of the other beaches that beat us up around the island. In the morning, I would run around the lagoon and down the walkway, back down, and around the lagoon. It made for a good 2 miles and a great way to start my morning.

Rainbow Baazar (4/5): Lots of great little boutiques to pick up cute dresses and souvenirs. I found the prices to be fair.
-We shopped at the ABC stores quite often to pick up snacks and souvenirs. For every $100 you spend, you get a free gift. It's not much, but it's still nice so be sure to save your receipts because we did ended up buying snacks and drinks to take on road trips and back to the room.
-The Japanese noodle restaurant was also very good too. I wasn't able to convince anyone to go off the resort to a ramen restaurant so I went here and enjoyed it very much .
-Lepparts Coffee and Ice cream was also very good.

Entertainments (N/A): We didn't go to any of the shows on the resort. The firework show on Friday nights was a nice touch. We rented a couple of loungers for $10 a piece on Friday night. It was worth if for us because we lounged out for a couple of hours to relax, hangout, snack, then watched the 3 minute firework show. You don't have to rent them, but it was nice to sit back and enjoy. Since we were on vacation, we weren't too worry about the price.

I would definitely come back here with family, but I would not recommend this hotel for a low key vacation or a romantic one. For family it is great because there is a lot to do for everyone of any age.

7 Thank AimeeinTX
Aloha AimeeinTX,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! Thank you for your detailed review that both acknowledged the positive aspects of our resort and also brought forth areas needing improvement. We are happy to hear of your overall enjoyment of HHV and look forward to welcoming your family back in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2012

. Our terrific Hawaiian holiday started at reception where we were served quickly and went up to our room well before check in.This is a great place to stay because it has everything.We stayed in a family room in the Tapa Tower which was huge.There were 2 double beds and a sofa bed which suited our family of 2 adults and 3 young children.It had a big bathroom with 2 basins a good size wardrobe,storage for our luggage and a safe.Our balcony provided a partial ocean and full mountain view which was great at night.The highlight of the Hilton is its pools and the man made lagoon.My kids spent hours everyday on the slides[and I did too at 51 yrs old.]I also hired paddleboards in the lagoon for the kids,they had so much fun.There are lots of shops in the complex that sell everything you would need for the duration of your stay.The breakfast buffet was very extensive and good quality,the only drawback is children under 12 do not eat free with each paying adult unlike in alot of the other hotels[come on Hilton look at this and review it for guests staying at the resort,Starwood does it]Overallcouldnt fault a thing.Will returning September 2013

Room Tip: Tapa Tower for families because of large rooms/bathroom and its quiet
2 Thank 2AYEARFROMNOW
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had high hopes that my business trip, which required 17 nights at the HHV, would be a fantastic getaway/business win. It turned out to be the worst trip ever, thanks to Hilton's filthy, dust mite infested bedding.
I have allergies. Cats, pollen, etc. And, I found out this trip, to dust mites and their droppings.
HHV supplies feather pillows, which apparently some idiotic people think is a good thing. Trouble is, if that pillow has EVER been used since it was last washed, it is guaranteed to be infested with dust mites and their feces. This was obviously the case this trip. And 100% of people are allergic to dust mite crap, in case you didn't know.
After the first night of 'rest', I woke up unable to breathe, sneezing and gasping uncontrollably. Hmmm I thought. someone must have passed on a cold or flu on the god-awful flight to Oahu. Not so, I learned. Each night I got worse, and after a couple days could no longer breathe at all without gasping. Like I said, I have allergies and know what an allergic reaction is like. It took little time to figure out that the problem was the feather pillows, which clearly needed washing.
A call to the housekeeping manager resulted in the bedding being replaced. Wonderful, I thought, since I'm already going to be sick for several days from sleeping on their bedding. No apology, no contact at all from management despite my demand to speak with the hotel manager. Their attitude clearly showed that they could not care less about their filthy bedding injuring their guests.
It makes me wonder, how many of their guests have their vacations ruined by HHV's idiotic feather bedding. Most people, without knowing what is really happening, probably assume as I did at first that the flight over here is the reason for their sudden illness and ruined trip.
So now, I have a sinus infection caused by having sinuses stopped up for a week from breathing dust mite crap, and still have a week and a half of business to conduct on Oahu. Having a swollen face, sinus infection, and constantly draining nose does add a bit of challenge to winning that contract I'm out here to win!
In summary, avoid HHV like the plague. Stay here at your own risk!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Russ S
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Aloha Russ S,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We are sorry to hear of the challenges you have experienced with our housekeeping. Thank you for allowing us to remove our standard feather bedding and replacing them with our foam option. Here at HHV we are committed to delivering on our guest promises including providing our guests a clean and comfortable room. We have a manager on duty available 24 hours a day if you would like to further discuss or if there is anything we can do to make you feel more at home. In addition, there is a Doctors on Call clinic at HHV should you require medical attention. We wish you a speedy recovery and appreciate you sharing your concerns. Enjoy the rest of your visit!