“Wonderful Grounds and Staff But Average Room in Diamond Tower”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #45 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Orlando, Florida
“Wonderful Grounds and Staff But Average Room in Diamond Tower”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was incredibly impressed by the grounds of the village area and recommend the hotel as one of the great hotel destinations on the island. The staff were also great and went out of their way to allow us to check in early. That being said the Diamond Towers, the cooridors were warm and dingy, and the rooms were not up to the cost of the room. You are paying for the grounds and views, not the rooms. It was a large room, good views and all the amenities you'd expect to be provided but I just generally felt that I was at a budget hotel. I understand that rennovations are occurring and possibly, our tower, the Diamond is on the schedule. Also, don't expect the complimentary breakfast of the budget hotels, you're going to pay pretty good for breakfast. We had dinner at the bar overlooking the beach and had wonderful service. The ribs were fantastic.

Room Tip: Make sure and find out when your tower, floor was last rennovated. Plenty of food in the village are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Aloha Bruce H,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! All guests are invited to join the Hhonors rewards program that offers members an array of benefits including complimentary continental breakfast in the VIP lounge for Gold and Diamond members. Otherwise, please visit our website for the best rates on our different packages for your future visits. Thank you for sharing your feedback as we continuously strive to improve our resort and offerings.

Hilton Hawaiian Village Guest Services Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Went for a conference - would not have stayed there on my own dime, but since work was paying and the conference was located here, it was a great option. Very much enjoyed the stay. My wife came along and we had a great time. Ate at Benihana's on-site, also at Lappert's every morning with a pineapple smoothie and blueberry muffin - good stuff. Close enough to walk to things, but not in the heart of the Waikiki shopping - prepare for a brief walk. If you're set on Waikiki, this is a good option - but I would consider staying outside of Waikiki. To experience what Hawaii should be like, go stay on another island or another part of Oahu - the east-side of the island is gorgeous, north shore is great - even the west part is away from the Waikiki commercialization. But if you're set on Waikiki, this is a great spot.

Room Tip: Stayed in Rainbow tower - rooms were just renovated, were nice and spacious. Tough to get a Waikiki...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lucas C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was really worried about staying at this resort as I had read mixed reviews but our stay here was GREAT! We stayed in the tapa tower. Our room was great, comfy and very spacious. The views we had was breathtaking and really amazing. The location, grounds and room was very clean and we enjoyed the resort. There was renovations happening during our stay here but barely noticed the construction. It was a very pleasant 7 day stay experience and I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maria C
Oswego, Illinois
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just got back from a week long stay at HHV and I couldn't be more happy! We had an amazing stay there and it was more than we expected.

Yes there is still construction going on, but it didn't interfere with anything we had going on. We stayed in the Tapa Tower and it was great!

There is tons to do on the property and it's located right on the beach and near the lagoon (which was where we spent a lot of time).

I really couldn't say enough nice things about this place.

Room Tip: We were automatically "upgraded". Our original room was a Resort View, but we were moved...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I took the family here in late August thru the begining of September. This was our, second time staying at the Village, but the first time our children stayed there. Our last visit to HHV was in late 2007 and my, we remembered things so differently. Being HH members, our arrival and check-in went smoothly. We were offered and selected to do an E-upgrade after making the inital reservation, which if you don't know, offers you the ability to receive an upgraded room at a substantial discount upon arrival, and, we did get it once we got there. We stayed in the Tapa Tower, 33rd floor with an ocean front corner room junior suite. The views were amazing, the suite was large and had a table for four, sleeper sofa and lounge chair, wet bar, a dressing area with plenty of closet space and lots of room. The downside to this room, two double beds versus queen size beds. Double beds are made for smaller adults and children, which is not the case for my family. We're all healthy and fit, but we're all also tall and athletic and when you have a teen and/or pre-teens, double beds and a double sofabed just are not that comfy. However, the view and the price of the room, which was a tad over $200, certainly went a long way to mitigate the lack of comfortable sleeping arrangements.

The property itself is gorgeous with lush landscaping, ocean front beach, a nice super pool, however, it was extremely packed/busy with lots of foot traffic and vehicl and traffic, and, the second pool that has waterslides and the only two jacuzzis on property, were always extremely packed, with nothing but children mostly. I mean come on, they couldn't have taken one of those jacuzzis and put it where the super pool is?

As for dining options, we ate at Benihana's and overpaid for our meal by about $100. You can get the same meal stateside for a family of four or five at around $150, whereas we paid HHV prices at $250. We also ate at Tropics, which is right in front of the beach next to the super pool, which was $80 just for apps and soda, and, we ate breakfast one morning at the Rainbow Lanai, which was $120. Now, I don't mind splurging, I mean it is Hawaii and you do pay Hawaii prices, but HHV takes those same prices and jacks up the price even further just cause you're at a Hilton Hotel. There are a few other dining options in the area, but to get to some of the better ones, you need to go about 3 quarters of a mile to Waikiki beach and the Kalakaua Ave area. Oh, let me give you another example, sunscreen at the ABC stores, $10 for decent size 8 oz bottle. 6 oz bottle of sunscreen at the pool at HHV, $20, you do the math. The Pronto Pickle, next to the super pool, $10 for a hamburger, that's right, a McDonalds size hamburger, not even cheese, $10. The wife and daughter used the Spa and well, that just is what it is; they wanted a nice massage and well, they said they got some of the best they ever had. I also think the best meal we had was desert at Lappert's Ice Cream as we went several nights during our stay and for the price and quality of what they served, it was hands-down delicious.

The reality is the property is a gorgeous property, but it's not all the excitement of Waikiki beach and you definitely pay a premium price for being at a Hitlon property. In addition, it's overly crowded and off the beaten path of where the main attractions are. In addition, if you're trying to go on a budget and stay within that budget, there are better alternatives.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank R E
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Aloha R E,

Mahalo for returning to the Hilton Hawaiian Village! Thank you for sharing your bedding and pool suggestions with us as we continuously explore ideas on how we can better enhance our guests’ stay. As a popular resort destination, we offer a variety of activities, entertainment, shopping, and dining options at all price-prints comparable to the Waikiki/Honolulu area that are also convenient to our guests. We appreciate you taking time to review HHV and look forward to welcoming your family back again.

Baltimore
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here late September and it was great! I was a little worried about crowds but when I arrived there was no wait to check in and the crowds weren't bad at all. Maybe it was the time of year that I traveled. You could spend your entire vacation here, you can eat, drink and play without ever stepping foot off the property.

When we arrived we were offered a room upgrade and received a partial ocean view in the Tapa Tower. It was perfect! We could watch the sunset every night. The Tapa Tower grounds did have some reno going on but we could barely hear anything. The new pool area is coming along though and should be a great addition to this already awesome resort. The room had a few little issues that I noticed like peeling wallpaper/paint but that was it. The bathroom was fine and the room was always clean and taken care of when we returned from hititng the beach. The elevators were quick as well and we never really had to wait for one.

The pool did get crowded quick and there is an issue with people "reserving" a chair by placing a towel and then leaving for most of the day. It would be nice if this was policed more but I'm not sure what could be done really. Because of the crowds we spent most of our time at the lagoon which was perfect. You could always find a spot, the water was nice and it wasn't nearly as crowded as the actual beach.

I checked out a few of the dining options and they were all pretty good. They were on the pricey end but it's a resort and I was on vacation. I don't have a problem spending money when I'm sitting in paradise! There are plenty of off-site options though that are more affordable in the area. If you have a family you might want to look into that since I'm sure for a family for 4 (or more) things add up quickly.

All in all, I was very pleased with the resort and the employees. Everyone we met was extremely nice, from the front desk to the towel stands to the tours desk.

Room Tip: See if you can get an upgrade, it never hurts to ask!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Deargoodbye
Aloha Deargoodbye,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We appreciate your patience and understanding of our current rejuvenation project. Thank you for your sharing your feedback on how we can improve our resort for maximum enjoyment of our guests. We look forward to serving you again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed in room 2601 in the Rainbow Tower (thanks to upgrades courtesy of my father-in-law combined with mistakes by the hotel resulting in upgrades) and I can't imagine that a room on the entire property could have a better view. This tower is closest to the ocean, and we had two balconies. We got 270-degree views of the city. We could see all the way from downtown Honolulu, to HNL and Pearl Harbor, the entire ocean, Diamond Head, and all of Waikiki Beach and all the hotels. Completely incredible. I love how Hilton calls their pool "Super Pool". Because it is quite small for a resort of this size, and good luck finding a chair there, because you wont. No problem for us though because we were able to privately lay out on our balcony unobstructed from the sun, listen to our own music, and drink our own drinks. Probably the best perk of this room. Worst part about the room? The bathroom was very small and the shower had a drain clog so bad that it took 25 minutes to drain a 5 minute shower. If you aren't able to lay out on your balcony, you can purchase a chair for the beach or lagoon for $15. Not free for Hilton guests. Also the lagoon was a nice touch, but it is not private. Anyone can walk onto it and we actually had a homeless person ask us for money there. When we were not in the room, the hotel wasn't all that enjoyable. It is so incredibly overrun with tourists because the property is so large. And the hotel will claim this is false, but it actually is quite a hike to get to the shops on the main drag in Waikiki. For a honeymoon, I prefer more privacy and remoteness, and this is anything but that. I take full blame for that though because that was my husband's and my choice. You can pay a similar price for nicer resorts on neighbor islands and I would recommend that. What did I like about the hotel other than our room? I loved the parrots in the lobby because I am a bird lover. I liked the shops in the village (even though its mostly the same tourist-trap stores you can find everywhere in Hawaii). The free breakfast on the Rainbow VIP Terrace was definitely clutch and saved us from spending $60 on a breakfast buffet. And finally, we really liked the setting of Tropics Bar and Grill. We ate lunch here twice. The Hilton does have some really nice beachfront real estate though, I must admit. If you are looking for beach you won't be disappointed here.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get a nice view. If you can get a corner room in the Rainbow tower facing the ocean, yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha k86j84,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village and congratulations on your marriage! We apologize for the challenges you have encountered during your visit. Complimentary chaise lounge chairs are available at all of our pools on a first come basis with no reservations. Optional rentals for use on the public beach and lagoon are offered on the beachfront by a vendor. For future visits, please allow our concierge team to familiarize you the area, walking time/distances, and trolleys and busses that would make for easy access to the main Waikiki strip and points of interest. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again.