“Luxury at its finest...”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Second visit to Hawaii (the first was in 1984) and we stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach. The Hilton Hawaiian Village in the Ali’i Tower is by far more luxurious, pleasant and perfectly located on the beach. From the moment we arrived, the entire staff was courteous, professional and helpful. At our check in, I told the receptionist that greeted us that we were visiting Hawaii for my husbands 50th birthday appropriately because Hawaii is our 50th State. The next day after spending the day out on the white sandy beach and sparkling clear ocean we returned to find an oversized Gourmet basket filled with chocolate covered fresh fruits and a solid chocolate tiki pole in our room with a thoughtful note attached wishing him a happy birthday & pleasant stay from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It is the extra touches that make it even that more special. We also had a Concierge in our building that was very helpful. It is beautifully & tastefully decorated, white glove clean, enormous rooms with spectacular, breathtaking views of the ocean from our private terrace. The pools are extra large and sparkling clean with a large Tiki bar for refreshments & yummy treats located in between the pool and beach. The eateries and shops are out of this world with everything imaginable and at fair prices. Every evening we were entertained by the traditions of the Island that are just unforgettable. We rented a car (which I highly suggest) to drive around the entire Island to visit other beaches and to explore all that Oahu has to offer its tourist, especially its natural beauty. We will be going back in another year (God willing) to appreciate and enjoy more of this beautiful land here in the USA. Aloha!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EmptynesterTravelers

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I travel for a living (52 weeks a year, different hotel every week) and this hotel is my favorite so far! The location is great. You can walk to the downtown area and shopping malls. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are clean and comfortable. If you belong to the military, work for DOD, or are retired from either, you can walk next door to the Hale Koa and rent kayaks and other water sport type of things pretty cheap. The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurants are expensive, but have excellent food and an amazing atmosphere. The hotel will set up any tour or excursion package you want for you. The service is excellent. It is an expensive property, so if you are traveling on a budget I would not recommend you stay here (see my review of the Queen Kapiolani Hotel for a cheaper alternative). Overall, you will love the hotel, you will be comfortable, taken care of, and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Erin N
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Very impressed with this hotel. Nearby dining, shopping galore for nicer things & also reasonable priced store for souvenirs. Had lots of swimming pools with slides & always found an empty chair by the pool to use while we were there. Staff was very helpful & even let you use a hospitality room the day you have to check out in case you still want to swim or go snorkeling & want to take a shower before your flight out. Beach was right by the hotel, not far from walking out of the elevator. They gave you towel cards where you traded your card for a towel & when you were done, traded it back so you always had a clean towel & right next to the pool or lagoon area. The restaurants at the hotel were very pricey but didn't have to walk far to find a more reasonable priced place to eat. There were koi ponds, a penguin pond area, tropical birds that they put out for view in the early mornings, tiki lamps were lit in the evening. Friday night were the fireworks right off the beach which were great! Lasted only a short time but a spectacular sight! We definitely picked the right hotel to stay at! It was great!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Rainbow tower overlooking the lagoon & ocean which was perfect for watching sunset...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank wendybethn
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was my third visit to the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and as the title says, its keeps getting better and better with every stay. I love this Property !!

I am a Hilton Diamond Member and I traded in points for 4 nights. I emailed the hotel prior to my arrival and told them it was my 3 rd stay at their hotel and was really hoping to get a nice room with a view. When I arrived I was told we were in the Tapa tower ( where I stayed the first time ) with a nice view of the ocean. However I had stayed in this tower before and it was not the view I was hoping for. Unless they had moved a building since then I didn't think it was going to be any better. So I asked the lovely front desk clerk ( I wish I could remember her name ) to see if they had anything in the Rainbow Tower, where I had stayed on my 2nd trip, which has nice views pretty much all over. But I was bold and this time asked for the side with a diamond head and ocean view, not the side with the lagoon and ocean view. It took her a little while, but after searching several options, she got us a room on the 15th floor, diamond head and ocean views, that was by far the most beautiful views I had ever had at this hotel or any other. It was spectacular. I can't thank her enough.

Since my last stay in 2008 they have done some upgrades. The elevators are nicer and efficient, where before they were slow and it was a mad rat race to snag one. Now they are great. The floor we were on had new looking carpet, very modern and clean. The room was also updated and had nice furniture and one of the most comfy beds anywhere. The bathroom was redone with modern fixtures, a cool little square tub and shower combo and nice tile. I have no complaints about the room at all.

I wanted to give this hotel a 5, but the ONLY Reason I can't is they stopped giving diamond members the coupons for the buffet. Instead you get a free continental buffet, or a discount off the hot buffet. That was a nice perk before. Also, the parking rates are extreme. Self parking is around 27$ a day if I remember correctly, and then its quite the walk to your room. But it's vacation and I try not the let it bother me.

The shops and restaurants on site are all great. So nice to have the ABC store on site to get drinks and snacks. Also, the pizza place on site was delicious and one of the least expensive meals we had. I really enjoyed it.

I wish TripAdvisor offered a 4 1/2 rating, because I feel this hotel deserves better than a 4, but I can't give a 5 unless it was perfect ... but this trip was awfully damn close to perfect !!

Room Tip: Ask for Rainbow Tower, Diamond Head View !! and don't take anything below 6th floor or you'...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Patrick C
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Aloha taprennoc,

Mahalo for returning to the Hilton Hawaiian Village! For guests’ convenience, valet parking is available 24 hours a day in our main lobby, Kalia Tower, and at the Grand Waikikian. Thank you for your patronage and for sharing your suggestion on how HHV can enhance the stay of our loyal Diamond members. We look forward to continuing to serving you!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed in the Alii tower during the first week of July. We booked the room through the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Let me say in a nutshell that we paid $360 a night plus tax for a room that was maybe worth $150 a night. We stayed in room 808. The room was clean but outdated, the sinks were coming away from the wall, the stone countertop was cracked and to top it all off there was a used bandaid stuck to the arm of a wicker chair in the room. All the toilets in the hotel had power flushers. That is great but it they were so loud that when your room was quite, all you heard in the morning and at night were toilets flushing. We happened to be on the left side of the tower on the 8th floor. Delivery trucks started backing up at 5:30 am with their beepers going as loud as ever.

The service in the front reception areas was good but hectic. Our concierge was useless. One evening I asked about renting a car the next day. He said today was sold out to check in the morning?? I wanted it for the next day. He was too lazy to check for us. I went up to my room and booked a car with Hertz that I picked up at the Marriott the next morning.

Everyone needs to be aware of the hotels drink policy. You can only order one drink from the bar at a time. The service at the pool was horrible so I went up to the bar inside Tropics and the bartended refused to sell me two beers. ( one for me and one for my wife). My wife was busy supervising our kids in the pool. I said I would be back in a minute to buy a second beer and was told I had to wait 20 minutes before he would sell me another beer. WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I explained to him that my wife was watching our kids in the pool and he explained the life guard will do that. Unfortunately, there was no life guard on duty. It was about 6:00pm and apparantly the life guard goes off duty at 6:00pm.

While the location is great, save some money and go to Maui where we were earlier in the week and had a fantistic time. We stayed at the Kanapalli Beach Club which was fantastic!

I have sent a complaint letter (email) to Hilton over a week ago and still have not gotten a response. I see how much they care about their customer service.

5  Thank Richlund

Aloha Richlund,

Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village! We are excited to announce the coming renovation of our beachfront Ali'i Tower that will be sure to bring upgraded modern amenities to these guestrooms. Our concierge team works closely with our onsite Hertz rental car company and we apologize a vehicle was unavailable at our location during your requested date. In accordance with the Honolulu Liquor Commission laws, we appreciate your understanding that we are allowed to serve one alcoholic beverage per present guest. Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent visit, we look forward to having your family again.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Recently stayed for 4 nights with my family (2 adults and 2 children). Had booked an Ocean Front room in the Rainbow tower but put in for an e-upgrade to a Junior Suite in the Ali'i tower which we got (found out on check in). Were on the 14th floor with an amazing view of the beach. Huge room with 2 separate bathrooms, kids slept on the sofa bed while we had a king bed and were able to close off between the 2 areas with double sliding doors. Room was very well appointed. By far the the niceest part of Waikiki Beach, alot more expansive and flatter than towards the Diamond Head end. Nice lagoon area close by as well. Found the pools nice although the main pool gets shaded by mid afternoon due to the height of the Rainbow Tower. The pool on the far side of the lagoon with the slides keeps the sun until it sets. Overall a great stay. Easy walking distance from Ala Moana shopping centre as well.

4  Thank Brett M
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel almost a dozen times now and it keeps getting better and better with each visit. Yes it is pricey, but everything in Hawaii is over the top. The Rainbow Tower was recently renovated and this last trip we had a spectacular suite that was the size of 2 rooms, a monster soaking tub and separate shower that was huge, a large closet, a safe, and 2 balconies. The only thing I could have seen the room needed was a little more furniture because it was so huge it became a big empty looking room! Dukes is a short trolley ride away for a decently priced dinner, the fridge is big enough to store some drinks and lunch meat to make sandwiches so you just have to learn how to eat wisely. You can also rent a microwave if you would like it. They have an executive lounge for Honors people but it is only open in the morning, and since my last trip, they have taken away some of the extra food offerings. It basically is just cereal, fruit, hardboiled eggs, and sweet bread/danish, juice or coffee/tea. Wish we could have the great Meadow Gold yogurt yogurt back and a toaster to make an egg sandwich for breakfast. In the evening Honors members are not allowed as the Asian guests get it for Pupus, even Diamond is not allowed so find dinner elsewhere.
The housekeeping checked our room every day and it was spotless. My only complaint is the sheer number of Japanese tourists at the hotel. It is hard to find anyone speaking English and they are really catered to much more than the Americans are. And they (Japanese) are pretty rude to the Americans. But that has nothing to do with the hotel. The pool is always impeccable, the beach is cleaned and grated early every morning and there are plenty of activities to do at the beach; parking is quite easy although pricey. The internet is MUCH faster now. The first time I stayed here they did not have wireless but I was on in a snap with wireless this time, although at peak times, I had trouble with posting photos of the trip on Facebook. The beds are very comfortable and the sheets are soft and clean. I do wish they would bring back the Hawaiian toiletries though like Hilton Waikoloa. It addds such a nice touch! I can't wait to go back again, I love this hotel. I hope the Blackstone Group brings this hotel back as one of the Diamond VIP specials. I miss that!

Room Tip: Book early, and request an upgrade. It is really worth it in the long run.
4  Thank savedru2
hhvguestservices, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Aloha savedru2,

Mahalo for returning to the Hilton Hawaiian Village! Thank you for sharing your feedback on our offerings as we continuously work to enhance our guests’ experience. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to continuing to serve you.