Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Dallas, Texas
“amazing!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

This resort is just beyond beautiful.. its right on the beach, has an amazing lagoon.. lots of thgs to do for everybody! children will nvr get bored. the staff is super helpful, n polite! we stayed @ ali tower, it had an individual pool n jacuzzi .. we just loved our stay! the tour n travel desk ppl r so helpful ! if its oahu, it has to be hilton hawaiian village :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tuhinac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,521)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Ok, the good things first. This resort looks almost exactly as u see it on the hotel website. Beautifuly kept grounds. Clean rooms. Front desk was very helpful. Very comfy beds.
We stayed on the 4th floor of the rainbow tower. Everything was good except we had one major problem. We would be sleeping soundly day or night then BLAM!!! The slamming of one of our neighbours doors. Do not expect to go to Hilton Hawaiian Village and get a good sleep . U can even hear people talking in the hallways. They need to soundproof their rooms and soften the slamming of doors. Very well there is no resort fee but keep in mind it's $20 per beach chair n $15 per umbrella. U are better off going to the ABC stores n buy umbrella and chairs to re-use especially if u will be there for more than one day. Also they have too many people trying to sell u timeshare. While u r in Hawai, check out Germaine's luau. Fairly cheap and they put on an awesome show.!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank ShellyB2
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Ok , let me try to explain : I know that the "" Japonese´s Hawaii is Very Expense "" , the Waikiki local current money should be the " Japonese YEN " . The ROOMs , Cleaning and Service is TOP of the Line Hilton Quality . But , as a Resort , I Expected more and BIGGER : POOL and other Resort things , sure , they have a kind of Villa Small Mall and some restaurants , but , beside the SMALL Pool , ANYONE can use and enjoy everything that the guests PAYs to enjoy , so WHY pay Hundreds Dollars to stay with lots of Outside People ? . Everything is "" EXTRA "" , parking is U$ 30.00 a day , the LUAU is a FORTUNE $$$$$, not worth , for a Simple and Small Show , they offer a "" Hula Hula "' show at the Pool , very Expensive for a Very POOR Show , it is a Sleeping Show !!! and anywhere you go , you are "" Attack "' by those "' Time Sharing People "" , you have the Impression that everything at Hilton Village is TRIPLE PRICE , so you can get a Reasonable Price with the "' Time Sharing People " . For at least U$ 300.00 a night , PLUS Parking , Plus Breakfast , Plus Everything , STAY in other Place and COME to Enjoy the Hilton Village Beach , Friday´s Night Fire Work Show , Beach Laggon , Shopping and etc........................

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MarcosF123
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Great resort! Very Beautiful - lots of pools, restaurants (although pricey) and activity options. No need to leave the resort if you didn't want too. Convenient location - walking distance to ala moana mall one way and to a great shopping strip the other way. We stayed in the most basic room offered in Kalia tower and it was lovely. Clean, big comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Overall I thought it was a wonderful resort and would stay again!

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Lollee18
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Hilton Hawaiian Hotel is a excellent hotel i Waikiki Beach. With wonderful view to the beach and more natural beuties of Hawaii. The Room is very confortable and the service are the best.
I recommend this hotel and I will return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Rooms with view are the best
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chshenrique
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This was a business trip for my wife, and was paid for by her company, so we were stuck here. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is a very large complex and is not the type of place that we would normally stay if we were booking a vacation on our own. We prefer smaller off the beating path type hotels, condos, or rental houses. I can not comment on the cost / value of the hotel because I have no idea what was paid. That being said, here is my honest evaluation of our stay.

On arrival at the hotel there were several hundred guests being checked in and as you can imagine, the check-in line was quite long. However, the hotel staff was coming by with nice cool drinks for everybody who was waiting. The front desk clerks were very efficient and moved the line along quickly. We went to our room and found the usual fine quality and comfort of your higher end hotels. We had an extremely comfortable king size bed, a large flat screen television, mini-refrigerator, coffee maker, room safe, chairs, and large patio deck. The room was modern and well maintained.

Our luggage had been taken at the airport and was suppose to be brought to our room. However, after two hours in our room we had not received our luggage. I called to check and was informed that the luggage was on the hotel premises and would be brought up shortly. To be fair to the hotel, there were approximately 3500 employees and guests of my wife’s company checking into the hotel on this date, so we understood the delay. We had to go to the Luau that evening in the same dirty smelly clothes we had been traveling in all day. *Travelers tip* Take one change of clothes in you carry-on if you have room. When we arrived back to the room after dinner, our luggage was there.

We were so busy doing activities away from the hotel grounds that we really did not get to enjoy all they have to offer. There are several bar / restaurant areas on the property that had different types of live entertainment every night. The musicians were very good and I made my wife stop several nights on our way back to the room so we could listen to them play. There are also several stores in the complex that you can go shopping at. We did not really walk around the property until the morning we were checking out. This was unfortunate, due to the fact that we found there was so much we had missed. The resort has many types of wildlife on the premises in specially designed habitats. We saw Penguins in Hawaii!!?

There is plenty to do right on the property without ever leaving if that is the kind of vacation you like. The only complaint would be the cost for guests to park at the hotel ($29.00 a day). This is more than it costs a day to rent a car. We parked by the Marina adjacent to the hotel and paid $6-$10 dollars a day to park. It was worth the walk in our opinion. Check out my other reviews on our activities in Oahu.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank gina_jeff
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Large, sprawling resort that frankly was too big for my liking. Can't say too much bad about the place but I do have a couple of criticisms that I'd love to share (and help Hilton management understand my underwhelming review.)

One major complaint, and it's a serious one that really knocks this hotel down, is the outrageous $45 charge for a chair and umbrella on the beach. That's a lot for a beachfront resort. The hotel's website boasts "No Resort Fees." Which is technically true. Instead you'll pay a la carte for anything else, including things that you'd think ought to be included at a beachfront resort.

As you book this location, ask yourself "do I really want to be in Waikiki Beach?" It's a bustling part of Honolulu, on the waterfront obviously, but Honolulu is a big city. I found this hotel to be overwhelming in its size. I was never able to completely relax here because there was too much going on. That said my kid loved the pools, the ocean, the lagoon and the penguins. Even my wife was able to find peace and quiet by a pool near our tower. When I return to Hawaii, I'll be finding a smaller and quieter location run by Hilton, Marriott or another major chain.

Another complaint was the $24-a-day charge for parking. Just be sure you let them know that you're parking a car ahead time otherwise your room key won't work. I rented a car 2 days into our stay and ran into all kinds of hassles trying to get the automatic parking gate to work for me, apparently because my room key wasn't keyed accordingly. It's a shame they don't have human beings trying to help you on the way into the parking garage. Automation is all well and good, until there's a problem.

One other concern was the food at the poolside bar and grill. Nice place for a snack. But when you order food there it comes from the "Pronto Pickle," the onsite takeaway joint. You'll wind up with a pre-made sandwich. Not exactly a freshly prepared meal by the pool.

On the plus side, there are many shops and dining options at the resort, including the ABC stores which are all over Honolulu in the tourist zones. ABC does a great job in providing anything and everything a tourist will need at fair prices. Particularly wanted to recommend the 24oz Steinlager beer from New Zealand, which at this writing was selling for $2.29 at ABC. A bottle of beer in restaurants all over Waikiki will cost a minimum of $6.50.

Still annoyed that everything was extra at this hotel and for the prices they charge it would have been nice to have more included in the base rate. And just an aside. Second big Hilton I've stayed at where the "HiltonHHonors" checkin line was longer than the regular line! I'm sure it's not always like that, but even though I'm a Gold member, I've taken to waiting in the regular line.

Couple of tips for you. Definitely take the footpath from the hotel and head along the beach past other resorts and colorful characters along the way. Also I took my first time share tour ever ("vacation ownership" is the phrase they prefer over time share.) It was a relatively low-key, non hard-sell experience that netted me a $100 resort credit for my 2 hours of time. The units they had on display were gorgeous but the whole concept of a time share seems like a financial disaster which I won't elaborate on here. (I'm not in a vacation club and I can vacation anywhere I want to anywhere in the world with NO ownership. It's called a hotel!) That said it was nice to be able to take my wife and kid out to Benihana on site and use the $100 credit they cheerfully gave me for sitting through a sales pitch.

Couple of other tips. There are many, many, many books of discounts you'll find floating around Waikiki. Use them. We saved 15% at Benihna with a coupon. There was a free dessert coupon at Margaritaville, which we didn't use because I realized it after the fact. We also tried to use a buy-one-get-one-free coupon at Dole for the maze, but it was closed.

Finally one other tip. If you're booking Thrifty Rent-a-Car just make sure your spouse will be able to drive the vehicle for no additional charge when you make your reservation. I scored a great rate for the vehicle for our four-day rental, only to see any price savings evaporate when we got dinged with a $12 a day extra driver charge for a spouse. There were two feeble explanations from Thrifty for this: "Everyone charges for this on Hawaii" and "You got such a low rate with your reservation, we have to charge you the extra driver charge." Next time I won't rent from Thrifty and I'll ask other firms ahead of time about extra driver charges.

Enjoy your stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Decent rooms and property but just too big for me.

Room Tip: Definitely get a higher room; But it's a big hotel and you'll be walking no matter what!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family