“Tapa Family Room is Huge!”

Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Los Angeles, California
“Tapa Family Room is Huge!”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We used to stay at the Sheraton Waikiki, but ever since we discovered the paradise pool with the multiple slides, we have been staying with our family at the Hilton.

We were in town to celebrate my Mom’s birthday, and we chose to stay in one of the Tapa Family Rooms. When we checked in we were placed in a corner room on the top floor of the Tapa tower. It is literally perfect for families, the room is huge with two double beds and a pull out sofa queen. There is plenty of space for the kids to run around in the middle of the room.

We enjoyed our stay and playtime with the kids on the waterslides. The only bummer is that you can’t order more than one drink at a time which makes it difficult when one person is watching the kids. Overall, a great time and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The corner Tapa family room can't be beat!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank lindseybreeden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is our 4th stay at the hotel. We stayed in the Alii tower, which has its own pool and gym, which is nice. The rooms, especially the bathrooms, are very out of date. The Internet connection wireless version was hopeless. We needed to raise the inability to connect to their system with the duty manager because the tower concierge provided no assistance and fobbed us off. We managed to get connected, albeit for an outrageous price. This was our 7th hotel on a US odyssey and the first time we had been required to pay a daily fee for wireless. They're not keeping up with the times at the HHV, and we won't be staying again.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Adelaide5000
Fremont, California
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Based on a review I read in a travel guide I decided to go to the HHV and accordingly my expectations were high. I'll give the pros and cons of my experience:

PROS: 1) Our room was beautiful. When we entered we were looking straight at Diamond Head. 2) Exploring the property, there were a couple of pools tucked away for a quieter experience. 3) The workout facility had ample cardio equipment, some free weights, a handful of machines and a nice sized exercise floor. 4) Meandering around the resort there are plenty of koi ponds and exotic birds such as penguins, flamingos and macaws. 5) No resort fee that I was aware of.

CONS: 1) They're fairly relentless about getting you to go to their timeshare presentation. We eventually caved in and went, but had to wait for 25 minutes before we said the heck with this and got up to leave. We were told that they were overbooked even though we went at the time they scheduled us for. We briefly spoke with a manager via phone who said she would call us back shortly and never did. 2) $16.99 to rent a movie in the room--are you kidding me? 3) Same goes for daily internet access. 4) The cleanliness of our room was inconsistent. Some days just fine, other days it seemed like housekeeping just replaced the towels and remade the bed. 5) Their main pool, called "The Super Pool". wasn't "super" in any sense of the word. It was actually quite small and bland compared to any other pool I've seen at other resorts. 6) The resort is laid out that to get ANYWHERE on the property you must walk around or through stores or shopping kiosks, so there's no straight shot to get from point A to point B. 7) This last one is my favorite: We bought some artwork that we could put in our luggage if it was packed properly. All we needed was some cardboard and some tape to secure it. You'd think that at a resort like this, getting cardboard and tape would be a breeze. Nope. They wouldn't lend me any tape, but they did sell me a roll for $5. They told me to go to an ABC store to ask for cardboard there. Wow.

There were many very nice people working at the resort, but there were also some real jerks. We went to Hawaii to relax, not to constantly fend off timeshare presentations (From now on I'll call the hotel I want to stay at and find out if they have timeshares. If they do I'll stay elsewhere). Ironically, I chose the Hilton Hawaiian Village so that we could just hang out at the property the whole time if we wanted. Ultimately we found out that to enjoy our stay we needed to get offsite.

Room Tip: If you do decide to go, ask for a renovated room in the Rainbow Tower facing Diamond Head. Also, th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DonFremontCA
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Our third Waikiki Beach vacation, and second at Hilton Hawaiian Village. As a family destination the Hilton is second to none in our opinion for beach resorts on Waikiki. The resort offers many activities for the kids and adults. We are a family of four with two small kids, stayed in the Ali Tower, ocean view room. Room was clean with large bathrooms, starting to show wear for it's age but was not a concern. They have updated HD Tv's and good High speed internet connection. The staff where friendly and accommodating on may many requests from directions to where I can buy fresh sugar cane ! The Ali Tower has a few more amenities than other towers. As I understand it, there is free water and coffee in the rooms, a second floor pool, fitness centre and hot tub, padded lounge chairs, restaurant and bar. My kids loved the Penguins pool, fun to watch, they feed them at 8:00 every morning and they come out of their caves to swim around. There are many fish ponds which mesmorized the kids often. We rented stand up paddle boards in the lagoon which is much easier and safer than the ocean for the small kids, was even given a refund when the wind was blowing a bit making it hard for my son to paddle his board (no problem for an adult but frustrating for a smaller child) The Paradise pool has small water slides and shallow areas that where perfect for our 2 year old. Recommend the show on Fridays by the main pool. $20.00 a person for a 45min-1 hour show ending with spectacular fireworks. Our kids loved it as it was not too long to lose their short attention span. Many good places to eat. For the budget minded like us we generally find lots of cheap meals at the ABC store with fruit, yogurt, cereal and sandwiches for breakfast and lunch and then enjoy a nice meal out for dinner. There are to many places to mention in walking distance from the property. We also find the ABC store has many inexpensive beach toys for the smaller kids. like pails, shovels and floating rings which enhance the beach experience. Will be back again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ferrariben65
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was my second visit to the HHV. This time as a Gold HHonors member I was upgraded to a Corner (Oceanfront) room in the Rainbow Tower, which was recently renovated. The room is basically 2 walls of sliding glass doors, which makes you feel like you're on the beach even when you're in the room. Unfortunately, this property, which really is it's own village, is too large for it's own good. It's easy to get lost, the elevator lines (and queuing system-- you enter your floor before boarding and are assigned an elevator car) detract from the easy feel of paradise. HHonors Gold/Diamond get breakfast on the Rainbow VIP Terrace, which is nice, if you can eat your food in between birds dive bombing the tables. I ate at Bali for dinner, one of the more upscale restaurants. I had a lovely salad (the tomatoes with chef's personal mozzarella and sea asparagus), a passable Mahi Mahi (with awful/mealy mushrooms on the side), and an amazing green tea creme brulee for dessert. Service was great. The beach is amazing. Don't waste your time at the pool.

Room Tip: The Rainbow Tower is great.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zephyr221
Prosper, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have now stayed at this property on several occassions because it hosts an annual conference that I attend due to my profession. I have stayed with my wife and solo and have consistently found this hotel to be long on quantity and very very short on quality and customer service. Their focus is clearly on packing as many people as possible in a small space. The restaurants are always too crowded during critical times. Hotel elevator ques are sometimes 4-5 minutes. Water pressure is very inadequate during key times and hot water can be all but non existent. The staff seems indifferent to customer concerns with a take it or leave attitude. Given a choice I would never stay here again and it will also influence my future choice of any Hilton property. Very overpriced, overrated and understaffed and underserviced.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Ron M
Prophetstown, Illinois
Reviewed January 17, 2012

It depends on what you are looking for. The Hawaiian Village was too big for us. With 7 towers and several Starbucks it did not feel like a beach to us. We paid for ocean view, but it was over the parking garage and 2 towers to see it. Beware, a double room is only full beds, not queen beds. They did change us to a King on our second night. We prefer a smaller, boutique hotel so we may not be the best judge.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple