“Tapa Tower Great”

Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Auckland, New Zealand
“Tapa Tower Great”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed here last week for 7 nights ($1900US). I would stay here again.

We were pleasantly surprised by our room - it was huge! We were in the Tapa Tower, Room 3559. We had two double beds, two lanai (one of which had views towards Diamond Head and we could see the sea too), about 8 metres between the end of the beds and the couch, chairs and footstools, flat screen tv, plenty of drawers and ginormous wardrobe which was good for storing bags and shopping.

The only downside to the room was the a/c - we couldn't get it lower than 71 which was still hot over night underneath feather duvets.

Despite being on the top floor and being there during a huge conference, we never had to really wait for an elevator.

It was a 2 - 3 min wander to the beach and maybe 4 - 5 mins back from the lagoon pool which was the one we chose to frequent.

The resort was spotless. We kind of laughed when we saw the gardeners out leaf blowing fallen leaves or plumeria from the paths!

Primo location being 10 - 15 min walk from Ala Moana and 10 - 15 mins into Lewers St/Kuhio Ave. Great being off the main roads and away from the main beach - so much less crowded and noisy. Across Kalia Road you could catch buses or trolleys once your feet wore out from all the walking.

We only ate at the resport once as we wandered into town for more choices and a different atmosphere. We ate at the pizza place - slack service, gross plastic chairs and plastic plates ...

We got a late check out, 1pm, and then we had the use of a Hospitality room for an hour at 6pm as we did not have to be at the airport until 8pm. That was useful.

It was expensive from my point of view ... I would maybe look at the Ilikai next door next time, that has the same great location for $50 - 70 a night less.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank kiwi_karyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nanaimo
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Clean, comfortable, spacious rooms, excellent service and friendly staff. We stayed in the Tapa tower which was a perfect location to everything we needed. We were a group of 5, two of which were young children, one of which was a physically disabled adult. We had no trouble getting around. Be prepared things are pricey, and that even a hotdog will run you about $6.00 US, but the food on the property is excellent.

Room Tip: I would imagine the rooms with ocean views are quieter as we were close to the front entrance and ex...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kim4844
isle of man
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed here for a week as our second location during our honeymoon. It's a great resort where everything is very picturesque. We stayed in the Ali'i tower where we had access to the private swimming pool which was a very nice and relaxing area. The room was fantastic and had everything we wanted. A very good sized room with a large comfortable bed.

We only ate in one resort restaurant as the prices were a little hiked up but is was very good..

One of the main attractions at the resort is their rooftop Luau with included buffet. Personally I found this a very dissapointing show with poor food.

The whole resort is very attractive and feels very friendly. It's very well maintained and exceptionally clean. Overall I would happily return to the resort and drink a few more of the Hawaii 5-0 cocktails there!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Damien C
Las Vegas
Reviewed October 22, 2011

My family loved our stay at the Hilton. Everything you need is on site and the staff was all very friendly. A short 15 to 20 minute walk are a number of shops and restaurants if you want to venture out. One thing I have to recommend is that you buy some water shoes before you get there. The shallow portion of the water is very rocky. You'll thank me for the tip. Our stay there was fantastic and can say anything but positive things.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank paullv
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 22, 2011

My 2 children and I stayed 2 nights in the Waikikian (bc the oceanview room we'd booked wasn't available, so at 10pm accepted the upgrade and went into this tower in a 2 br suite - it was very large, but the outlook average with a snatch of sea and really the tops/sides of buildings being the main view), then another 2 nights in the Rainbow Tower (accepted this upgrade due to HHonors points) the following week. I'd probably just say "okay" overall. Nice enough, staff really good overall, cleanliness etc all good. But just for me the village thing didn't really appeal as I guess I have learned I prefer a greater sense of intimacy/belonging during a stay. The Rainbow Tower is nice, but the waits for the lifts are ridiculous. On one occasion we used the service elevator, but had to wait for a couple of opportunities to pass as it was too full with poor service people trying to do their job, and other guests who had given up waiting for a lift to arrive that had some room in it to squeeze into. Had a surfing lesson which was loads of fun, although should have bought my 7 year old a private lesson as he wiped out and no one was on hand to help him, or aware there was anything wrong. (Although I believe these guys are independent of the Hilton). My calls for help (I was floundering around elsewhere) were interpreted as me waving and calling out hello. The guy who takes the video and photos is lovely, but the quality of the pictures has proved disappointing and I'd have to say not worth the $50 per head. The food was definitely very expensive. Pronto pickle was $9.50 for a prepackaged hot dog. The HHV is VERY focussed on trying to get you to go and listen to promotions for their timeshares. All very pleasantly done, but I personally had no interest in a 90min presentation. Other interesting costs - $48 one hour paddle board, $15 for a lounger by the lagoon, $5 (or was it $8? can't remember..) for a rubber ring (which cost me $6 to purchase and keep at another resort) - I'm not sure if that hireage was for an hour or the day. Anyway, overall - nice, not amazing, but too big and impersonal for my preferences. I like Hiltons, but felt this place was really a clump of buildings which share rights to access the Waiikiki beachfront.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Peacock N
Port Matilda
Reviewed October 22, 2011

This stay....well....after being moved 3 times, will not be staying here again.

-1st room was great, Ali'i Tower suite.
-2nd room in Ali'i was horrible. This room had a mold issue or it was smoked in recently. Front desk offered to send up a ionizer. Never happened. Called again to complain and they offered to move us to the Rainbow tower. Room was nice with great views. The promised us that the contruction would be from 9am - 5pm. Not a big deal considering we were not there to stay in the room.

Well at 7am that next morning......loud, smelly construction woke us up. Then, someone was smoking below my room.....so, since we had our balcony door open....our room became smoke filled. UGH.... I called the front desk and after requesting to speak with a manager "4" times I finally got one. And...they argued with me stating that construction was not to start until 9am.....this was at 8am when it was pretty obvious that metal was being cut/welded.

Then....the next morning the construction started at 8:10 am. So, we went to the VIP terrace to try to enjoy our continental breakfast. We sat down and the construction noise was out of control. AND...to top it off, some of the construction workers must have taken a break and were all SMOKING about 10 feet from the outdoor terrace.

That evening...11pm ....we came back to a room that was not clean. Then....a security gard came knocking at our door to see who we were. There was a message on our phone wondering why we did not check out....and move into our room upgrade for our last 2 nights. I explained to the manager that I did not want to move any more during the week. And...when we requested towels....the delivered on 2 large towels....ugh....

And....with all of these problems...there were more. Now on to the elevator issue. Only 2 main elevators working. (unless you wanted to use the service elevators along with the unprofessional staff that were complaining about their guests). Very uncomfortable situation. Especially when me and my husband were dressed for a black tie event and had to wait for 45 minutes for an elevator. (including the service elevators....staff refused to make room for us or allow us to ride down instead of them).

The next 35 minute elevator wait turned into me and my husband along with another couple having to walk down 12 floors to arrive late to our event. (At least I was able to break in my new pair of 4 inch heeled sandles...lol).

And....what did they offer me a check-out??? Only a $50 credit to my bill.....or if I wanted to get out of line go talk to a manager at another desk and get back in HHonors line....that was all they could offer me.

I promise, this is a true account.

Now...onto the pools. The Super Pool....forget about being waited on. Unless you were in the "VERY COLD" pool drinking beverages....the "1" waitress on-staff would not give us the time of day.

And...the 2 hot tubs at the pool with wth water slides were full of kids under the age of 6. And, the two major water slides were out of service our entire stay.

Room Tip: stay away from the Rainbow Tower
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Michele B
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 22, 2011

we stayed for 3 days in Waikiki before leaving for Maui & Kauai. We were in the Tapas tower.

Positives
- the only one thing you can give them credit for is their property which is nicely built and well kept but also works to their disadvantage.

Negatives
- as noted above, HUGE resort which takes out the whole personal aspect of staying at a place.
- Tapas tower is a million miles inside from the beach and getting out to the pier/beach is a trek in its own. The building is run-down and we found our share of cockroaches in the bathroom.
- extremely pricey and they charge you for almost everything on the top. Nothing comes free and/or complimentary
- the staff was not very forthcoming with help and they leave it to you to figure out your way to the hotel with your baggage.

this is definitely not the place where you would want to spend $200+ a night. Your money is well spent elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not take a room in Tapas Tower
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple