“Good location for money, poor service”

Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
Ranked #83 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Located on the main street in 5 min from all shops and ''active life" - not noisy, easy to get to the beach and shops. Poor service: 1) They make the bed, sometimes not every day, and take the garbage out every day. Clean towels every day. 2) there once was a cockroach in my bathroom 3) when I asked to print a ticket on the reception, they said that it's nlot possible and didn't help me to do this in any way. 4) free wi-fi only in the lobby 5) old noisy air conditioner located at the level of the pillow. Noisy elevator! Overall it's a desent hotel for it's prise.

Room Tip: not near the elevator
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Михаил Ф
There are newer reviews for Hawaiian Monarch Hotel

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The hotel shows its age - it is possibly one of the oldest buildings in Waikiki. The rooms need some freshening. The bath tube for instance was not in good condition in our room.
Given that, we had a nice view from the 22nd level, we could see the beach and the ocean.
(in another stay in the same hotel but at the 17th level the view is far from being as nice.)
The free locker room at the reception was a great bonus.
At least the rooms are clean.
Very nice location, around 15 mins to the beach. Bus station 5-10 mins walk from the hotel.
Internet available only in the lobby, not in the rooms. But definitely not in the middle of Waikiki.
Nice swimming pool with a jacuzzi - but closes at 9pm: a bit too early!
Parking is "only" 20 dollars for 24 hours (sadly it is a great deal in Waikiki).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yvan P
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed here for four nights and whilst the location was ok the rest was disappointing. The room was ok but really dated and as with the rest of the Hotel, in dire need of updating. The biggest challenge was getting from lobby and into the room. As many others have commented, the room keys worked about 1 in 10 attempts for the lift or room, very frustrating.
However, I guess you get what you pay for , very reasonable price for Waikiki Hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We read some really bad reviews about this hotel, but thought maybe others are a bit more demanding than us. Well, not this time. Our flight was late arriving, when we checked in, it was a breeze and we were quite pleased. The room is a bit dated, but size is adequate, so we did not mind that. However, our nightmares started the next day. Our keys keep failing to work in the elevator as well as for the room. In the elevator, when the key does not work, we just "hitch" a ride with other guests when they used their key card. We approached the front desk and told them what happened and each time the reply was "you did not align the key card properly?" or "you bend the card too much", etc. We watched and talked to other guests, and were told they have similar experience with their keys so it is definitely not an isolated incident. One day, neither of our cards worked and we have to get back to the room right the way, as usual, when we approached the front desk, the clerk did not believe us, so we told her to try it herself. She went to our room and she could not open our door with our keys either. They called security and 2 of them showed up and neither of them could open our door with their master keys either. They called maintenance and at first they thought it was the battery that went dead, but after replacing that, it still did not work. Finally they replaced the whole key card unit and replaced it with a new one and from then on, we have no trouble entering our room. What I am trying to say is, why didn't they believe in the guests but instead made liars of us? We wasted so much time going up and down to get "new keys" to try to open our door. The worse thing is out of three elevators, two of them were out of service majority of the time while we stayed there the 11 days, one time it took 25 minutes before the elevator came! Also, had a bad experience with security that I reported to management, he promised to investigate but he never return with any explanation. All in all, this is one of the worse hotel stay that we had for a long time and it is just too stressful when you are in Hawaii on vacation!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank coolandyboy
Reviewed January 18, 2014

PROS (THINGS I LIKED)
1. Great location within walking distance of Waikiki area yet on edge of Ala Wai for greater quiet.
2. I had a room with a gorgeous view of the city and mountains on 18th floor for an extremely reasonable price.
3. Desk clerks were fantastic and extremely welcoming and helpful.
4. Room and bathroom were kept very clean.
5. Room furnished with everything I needed and was pleasant and comfortable.
6. I had requested a few mire pillows and they put six comfy pillows on the bed! I appreciated that!

CONS (THINGS THAT NEED IMPROVING)
1. air-condition unit in room was small and very noisy. I turned it off. Windows didn't open.
2. No lanai (balcony).
3. Key card didn't work well and had to be exchanged.
4. No wifi in room. I rented a router/wif-fi device but couldn't get it to work with my Mac Air, but they were quick to the charge.
5. Mattress was too firm and hard.
6. Carpet was old and questionable.

Room Tip: 1812 was high up, not noisy, and with a dynamite view. The moon rising over the mountains was stunni...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank konakayaklady
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I arrived to this hotel on 12/19/2013 and left on 12/21/2013. My room was small and semi cozy. The bathroom was definitely the smallest I have ever seen. The a/c is an old antique in the window that made noise and blows directly on you in the bed. They have no ice machine and no service. I will not be going back to this hotel again. Oh yeah, on two different night I saw small roaches that I had to kill. My keys didn't work a couple of times and I would have to go to the lobby to get them adjusted. Oh yeah, expensive parking $20 dollars a day!! John Palmer

Room Tip: Find a different hotel unless you enjoy the things I write about above. I was on the 17th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John P
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monarch for 2 weeks. The staff are just great. the hotel was built in 1978, and not any upgrade since then. But for the price, clean, everything works, Safe, Secure, very helpful for any bus information. If you love hiking and getting out of the Waikiki strip and doing your own thing on Public transport, it is a great place to stay, as you are never in the room. The locals that live in the building so helpful, they will steer you where to eat on a budget, The staff outstanding in their knowledge of bus routes. I spent a lot of time as a single person travelling on local transport, and saw so much, that other travellers would not bother to do. I saved so much money by asking questions each day to the reception staff. If you are not on a budget, do not stay here, but if you are a bit of a trekker, and love to walk, it is great. I met the most amazing people by walking and getting out of the norm .I went around the Island for $2.50 on a bus. Private tour $250.00 see what I mean! Just do your homework. The buses take longer, but you meet the locals, and you get to feel the reality of what the real Hawaiians are about .It is a safe place to stay. The crime rate very low. As a single female, I never had any issues. I went out every night alone.There is so much free stuff in Hawaii. Every Friday night the Hyatt put on fireworks, and encourage outsiders to admire. The walk to diamond head, from the hotel fantastic. Diamond head shopping precinct much cheaper to eat at and shop. Good luck, Judy.

Room Tip: Face the mountains, very attractive and less sun on the windows in the afternoon.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo