“Pros and Cons of The Hawaiian Monarch Hotel”

Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
Ranked #83 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed January 18, 2014

PROS (THINGS I LIKED)
1. Great location within walking distance of Waikiki area yet on edge of Ala Wai for greater quiet.
2. I had a room with a gorgeous view of the city and mountains on 18th floor for an extremely reasonable price.
3. Desk clerks were fantastic and extremely welcoming and helpful.
4. Room and bathroom were kept very clean.
5. Room furnished with everything I needed and was pleasant and comfortable.
6. I had requested a few mire pillows and they put six comfy pillows on the bed! I appreciated that!

CONS (THINGS THAT NEED IMPROVING)
1. air-condition unit in room was small and very noisy. I turned it off. Windows didn't open.
2. No lanai (balcony).
3. Key card didn't work well and had to be exchanged.
4. No wifi in room. I rented a router/wif-fi device but couldn't get it to work with my Mac Air, but they were quick to the charge.
5. Mattress was too firm and hard.
6. Carpet was old and questionable.

Room Tip: 1812 was high up, not noisy, and with a dynamite view. The moon rising over the mountains was stunni...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank konakayaklady

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I arrived to this hotel on 12/19/2013 and left on 12/21/2013. My room was small and semi cozy. The bathroom was definitely the smallest I have ever seen. The a/c is an old antique in the window that made noise and blows directly on you in the bed. They have no ice machine and no service. I will not be going back to this hotel again. Oh yeah, on two different night I saw small roaches that I had to kill. My keys didn't work a couple of times and I would have to go to the lobby to get them adjusted. Oh yeah, expensive parking $20 dollars a day!! John Palmer

Room Tip: Find a different hotel unless you enjoy the things I write about above. I was on the 17th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John P
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monarch for 2 weeks. The staff are just great. the hotel was built in 1978, and not any upgrade since then. But for the price, clean, everything works, Safe, Secure, very helpful for any bus information. If you love hiking and getting out of the Waikiki strip and doing your own thing on Public transport, it is a great place to stay, as you are never in the room. The locals that live in the building so helpful, they will steer you where to eat on a budget, The staff outstanding in their knowledge of bus routes. I spent a lot of time as a single person travelling on local transport, and saw so much, that other travellers would not bother to do. I saved so much money by asking questions each day to the reception staff. If you are not on a budget, do not stay here, but if you are a bit of a trekker, and love to walk, it is great. I met the most amazing people by walking and getting out of the norm .I went around the Island for $2.50 on a bus. Private tour $250.00 see what I mean! Just do your homework. The buses take longer, but you meet the locals, and you get to feel the reality of what the real Hawaiians are about .It is a safe place to stay. The crime rate very low. As a single female, I never had any issues. I went out every night alone.There is so much free stuff in Hawaii. Every Friday night the Hyatt put on fireworks, and encourage outsiders to admire. The walk to diamond head, from the hotel fantastic. Diamond head shopping precinct much cheaper to eat at and shop. Good luck, Judy.

Room Tip: Face the mountains, very attractive and less sun on the windows in the afternoon.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Judy K
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Don't except too much. Room is small with coffee machine, microwave oven and TV. Insulation is poor. I can hear every word from room next door. Parking is expensive, $20 per night. Staffs are helpful. Location is good. Short walk to the beach. Price is right. For one night stay, it is ok but I wouldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SunnyToronto_Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2013

If you need a cheap place to sleep in Honolulu, this is an ok place. The room was small and needed a lot of updating. I had a lot of trouble with my keys not working for my room and the elevators. Parking was $20/night. No internet service or ice machine. Only good thing was the front desk people, they were very nice. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed November 30, 2013

have travelled extensively around the world and believe me, I have stayed in some very questionable places. I dont go for luxury but I expect the basics of clean and good presentation. This hotel ranks in my top 3 for the worst. I booked PH103.

We arrived late and had to find our way through very dodgy looking people to find a lockbox to get keys in near dark. We were not met nor offered any welcome at all. There was no helpful info left in the condo about what was available in the hotel or in the area and we were left to figure it out ourselves. A call I put in to the manager about the use of the computer in the unit went unanswered. We figured out how to get the free wifi offered ourselves.
The hotel is old and tired, looks and feels cheap and nasty. The elevators are disgusting.
The first thing that hit us when we opened the door to the condo was the smell. It came from the sink in the kitchen but the damp musty smell was permanent. So were the ants.
The showers worked ok and the water was hot but you ended up standing in 6 inches of water as the drains didn't flow. Thanks to the previous users who left their hair in the basin, the shower and on the floor, and thanks to the cleaner for leaving it for me.
The lounge furniture was uncomfortable ( and not the same as in the photo) and the decor is old and tired. Everything is worn, stained, chipped and marked. The curtains and blinds were gross, moldy, ripped and frayed.
The aircon was the worst. It was so loud and rattled constantly but you had to keep it on as it was so hot. The windows opened but the noise was too much to leave them that way.
The pool area was ok.
This place would be ok for a family on a budget but if you want any kind of comfort don't come here. This is not a home away from home. For the price, it is not worth it.
I booked for 7 nights, stayed 4 and moved out. First time I've ever done that in 30 years.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends