“Nasty”

Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
Ranked #83 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed December 9, 2012

FIrst off, I could tell this place was going to be nasty from checking in with the "robo" clerk at the front desk who didn't even bother to make you feel welcome. No Aloha spirit here. Then upon getting to my room on the 15th floor reeked of stale cigarettes, even though the rooms are suppose to be non-smoking their are other tenants that are condo owners so they can smoke what they want I even encountered one that he said enjoys his dope. To top it off, the room itself was gross, the carpet was dirty and there was some type of noodles left in the bathroom sink, hope it wasn't barf from the prior guest. The bed was questionable so luckily I brought my own airline top cover so I wouldn't touch the bedspread. Unfortunately, I had prepayed for a four night stay otherwise I would off checked out. That would teach me to not get the cheapest place in Waikiki. Next time, I'll spend a few bucks more for a better place. The only thing this place has going for it is the view.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank a10warthog
There are newer reviews for Hawaiian Monarch Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2012

The room was horrible! Tiny room crowded with too much stuff. Dirty, stains everywhere. Broken shower, tore curtain, flickering lamp and what looked like blood in the bathroom. And the countless bugs everywhere and under everything! Smokey dirty smell in the room and very rude service from front desk assistant Clifford Johnson. Got a refund and went to Aqua Skyline at Island Colony. The room at skyline was amazing! And i would recommend it just dont stay at Hawaiian Monarch you'd be better off sleeping outside it'd be cleaner!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank aloha_cnes
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I just returned from a four night stay here and it wasn't bad.The lady who checked me in (Fau?) was nice but after giving me my room keys gave me a look like 'stop asking me questions.'Cheeseburger-Waikiki Restaurant a half block away has a good breakfast special & even a better customer service oriented waitress (Lauren).The only problems with my room were the sink dripped a lot and often times I had to turn on the hot water in the shower to get hot water to come out of the sink.Bath towels could use a litle upgrading, as mine were a little old.Close proximity to conventon center-5 minute walk-and shopping area on Kalakaua or beach area-10 minutes.I'd recommend this hotel if you're looking for a very basic room that's not right in the middle of Waikiki.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the ocean and north the mountains.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JKD1680
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I would never stay there again. First of all, no one greeted us nor helped us with our bags. The lady at the front desk didn't even say aloha or anything. She was timid and rude. Our room was TERRIBLE! We could smell marijuana next door. Our room smelled like crap. My mom found a cockroach in the bath tub! Yes a ROACH!!! There were blood stains in the bath room. The sheets didn't feel clean. I was itchy. It was just HORRIBLE!! You get what u pay for. And we got CRAP!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Ree_upp
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were apprehensive after reading some negative reviews; I insisted on seeing the room before accepting it. Maybe we were lucky, but we had a fabulous and large room at the end of a hallway on an upper floor. I looked at the room and came back reporting to my wife, "You'll love it!" She did.

We received excellent and flexible service from our Housekeeper, Arlene.

From the table by a large window overlooking the Ala Wai Canal, we could also see the Pacific Ocean and Diamond Head. We walked easily to Shore Birds (best tiki bar anywhere - and we're from the Florida Keys) and the Hawaiian Village. We also got around by car and bus, making the entire island accessible. The Monarch is well located on the western side of Waikiki, which makes Honolulu and such wonderful attractions as the Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum closer.

The pool deck is huge! Gas grills were clean and ready to use in an alcove with all the tools right there for you.

We would definitely consider staying at the Monarch Hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Danamalia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed in a vacation rental in this building recently - the rental was great - enjoyed the stay.

The hotel itself is, as others have said is run down. I really think this a shame the owners really need to spend some money refurbishing the building it could be great - what a waste of a good building in a good location.

But:

1. The staff are great
2. It was clean, at least in the part of the building where the private apartments were , hallways nicely carpeted, trash taken away more than once a day. Liked the fact that the Lower Lobby and right-hand side lifts were for the private floors only and that you needed a security card to use the lift to get up to these floors.
3. The pool area good although could do with the space being utilised more (more plants, replacing of the broken jacuzzi etc) pool itself nice and the BBQ area/grills always clean.

Not all bad!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CP2811
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I read the reviews here before I checked in so wasn't expecting much. My flight was 3 hours early but they let me leave my luggage until actual check in. Location is a good 10 minute walk to the main commercial strip of Waikiki, good for me since I wanted to be away from crowd. 10 minutes to Convention Center and 15 minutes to Ala Moana Shopping. The room was dated but clean. My bathroom was fairly decent sized, new curtains, vanity, hair dryer, shower/tub combo. 2 double beds, only needed one. Stained curtains a turn off, windows not operable, tiny TV. On the plus size there is a fridge, coffee maker (fee for coffee), and a microwave. The sushi restaurant downstairs was very good. The pool was dirty, at least there were cigarette butts, and debris in water. Overall the decor was something from the 70's, did'nt bother me for the price. I did get a ocean view so this was nice. Parking on-site was $16 a day. Pharmacy next door had hot food and an ABC on the opposite corner. As a solo traveler or if traveling with good buddies should not be a problem, not for romantic couple or families. I found the people living on-site rather seedy looking.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo