“Quiet off the main Waikiki strip”

Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
Ranked #81 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Los Angeles, California
“Quiet off the main Waikiki strip”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I read the reviews here before I checked in so wasn't expecting much. My flight was 3 hours early but they let me leave my luggage until actual check in. Location is a good 10 minute walk to the main commercial strip of Waikiki, good for me since I wanted to be away from crowd. 10 minutes to Convention Center and 15 minutes to Ala Moana Shopping. The room was dated but clean. My bathroom was fairly decent sized, new curtains, vanity, hair dryer, shower/tub combo. 2 double beds, only needed one. Stained curtains a turn off, windows not operable, tiny TV. On the plus size there is a fridge, coffee maker (fee for coffee), and a microwave. The sushi restaurant downstairs was very good. The pool was dirty, at least there were cigarette butts, and debris in water. Overall the decor was something from the 70's, did'nt bother me for the price. I did get a ocean view so this was nice. Parking on-site was $16 a day. Pharmacy next door had hot food and an ABC on the opposite corner. As a solo traveler or if traveling with good buddies should not be a problem, not for romantic couple or families. I found the people living on-site rather seedy looking.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Jim T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 21, 2012

overall its a cool location rooms were sizeable i liked it it was queit and everything i need was in there they made the bed every day and it was very clean nice town hotel was surprised on how cheap needs to make parking mote affordabe though had tp park on the steet:( but that was the only down side

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank goodresterauntseeker
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Customer service sucks. We were 30 mins early and they would not even check us in. Not like we would go straight to the room. Not worth the $ to stay here.

Dinosaur TV with a huge remote!
No Internet at ALL!
Bathroom TINY!
Parking sucks.

NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank mtran222

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a fairly decent and reasonably priced place for those wanting to be near Waikiki without breaking the bank. The rooms are fairly spacious however the furniture looks a somewhat dated. The TV was really old too. The bathroom smelled somewhat musty, probably due to the old shower curtain. My room faced north so my view consisted of the Ala Wai Canal and the mountains. Quite spectacular! The beach is just a short walk from the hotel and the downtown area can also be reached on foot in no time. The guys at the front desk were genuinely friendly and helpful. All in all this is a great choice for those on a budget.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank WideBodyroga
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 25, 2012

From check-in to check-out, our experience at the Hawaiian Monarch was positive. The front desk was friendly and very helpful. As airline employees with family in the islands, we travel more often to the islands and have tried many of the hotels in Waikiki and we feel we have found our favourite place. The check-in process was very smooth which comes in handy after a day of flying. The rooms were clean and to our surprise, equipped with a microwave and small fridge. The bathroom had a blow dryer and there was even an ironing board and iron in the room.

The only negative for us is we don't like spending $16 per day to park our car so we decided to take the City Bus and the bus stop is a few blocks away. Under normal circumstances this would have been fine but with a bum foot in this trip, it did present a physical challenge.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank WGIDIR
Dobbins, California
Reviewed July 1, 2012

As I approached the front desk, the front desk assistant greeted my husband and me with a smile that let us know that we were welcomed at the hotel. We arrived early, so our room was not yet ready, but no problem. The hotel had a safe place where we could store our luggage until the room would be ready at 3:00 p.m. So, my husband and I went for a walk and had lunch. After lunch, we thought we would go back to the hotel and see if we could wait for our room by the pool. It was only about 1:30 or so and we expected that our room would not be ready. But, lo and behold, our room was ready. The front desk assistant registered us for our room and helped us retrieve our luggage from the safe, locked luggage storage room located beside her front desk location.

When we entered our room we were pleased at how nice, clean, and pretty it was. We had only planned on being there for one night so all the amenities that we needed for one night were there... except for ice. My husband and I travel extensively and in every hotel we have been in, there was always a way to get ice. We looked around for the ice bucket and didn't see one. So, we called the front desk and to our amazement we learned that there was no ice bucket, furthermore, there was no ice vending machine. What a bummer. But, that was the only thing negative we found about the hotel. I would advise that they get an ice vending machine on each floor. It is Hawaii, after all and Pina Coladas taste better with ice.

We discovered that we needed to find a camera shop and the front desk assistant was kind enough to recommend two camera shops for us. He even went online and printed out a map for us to find our way. We were able to find the camera shops and get what we needed. To me, that was above and beyond the call of duty. We were very pleased to have that level of service.

The bed was comfortable and we woke up the next morning to check out of the hotel. Still, the service was excellent. The front desk assistant was so friendly and helpful to everyone and he even called us a cab to get us to our destination.

I would stay at the Hawaiian Monarch Hotel again. I would even recommend that my family and friends stay here, too. The friendliness is genuine. The accommodations are beautiful and comfortable. When you are traveling, there is not much more you need from a hotel.

Room Tip: No ice machines, so buy your own ice if you need it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Marlene B
Toulouse, France
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The Monarch has both hotel rooms and privately owned units for rent. I've rented a privately owned unit which was well furnished but pricey, The last time I booked a hotel room as part of a package which was clean but worn and tatty, still very good value for Hawaii. It's an expensive place to visit and anything cheaper will most likely be filthy and even dangerous. I mainly like the location because it's at the beginning of Waikiki allowing an easier escape of the tourist zone. However, I'm not sure I'd reccomend it as a family resort due to the fact there are a lot of transient people renting long term there, a scummy pub in the basement and a gangster gogo bar on the premises. Great if you like to party, perhaps disconcerning if your not into commercial sex, drugs and rock n roll. I spent alot of time in reception for the free wifi and saw alot of crazy poopoo going down. Having said that the security and staff are excellent considering their duties often extend to being social workers and mediators.

Room Tip: Quality privately owned units can be found on VSO website. I think facing the mountains rather than...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple