WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki

Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great location, average hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2005

I grew up in Hawaii so I've stayed in or been in almost every hotel in the area. We stayed at the Prince Hotel for several weeks during the holidays this year. The Prince hotel has a fantastic location (near Waikiki but not technically *in* Waikiki proper) but is Japanese run and so may not appeal to U.S. visitors as much as some of the others in the area.

Pro:
- Killer location right between Waikiki and Ala Moana.
- Steps from the beach, Ala Wai yacht harbor and Ala Moana shopping center.
- Good room rates considering location.
- All rooms have a decent ocean view.

Con:
- Smaller rooms with older furnishings. Well worn.
- Smells funny (like sushi and soy sauce, probably coming from the Hakone restaurant). I know this sounds sort of obtuse, but it really does impact the overall experience. Japanese tourists smoke a lot too so this adds to the strange aroma.
- Parking is $12/day extra.
- This is a Japanese owned hotel so it is mostly laid out for Japanese tourists and tour groups (75% of the occupants were from Japan during our stay). This isn't bad per se, but it does give you a distinct feeling of being an outsider if you are from the "mainland" (presumably the people who read these reviews).

Overall, this is a very good hotel, but based on your budget and needs you may prefer the following:

Halekulani: far and away the nicest Waikiki hotel (but you don’t necessarily want to be in Waikiki unless you are a first time tourist and like crowds and the smell of fat people baking in coconut oil).

Hilton Hawaiian Village: not as nice as above but has a lot of shops and nicely landscaped grounds.

Hale Koa: may be the best of all in Waikiki but you must be US Military to stay here.

Turtle Bay: on the opposite side of the island from Waikiki but that’s exactly the point! Recently remodeled and expanded.

Can't go wrong visiting Hawaii btu also consider the outer islands if you've already been once. Aloha!

• Stayed December 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Springfield, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2005

We stayed at the Hawaii Prince October 24-27 and had a great experience. We made an offer of $125/night for a four or five star hotel in Waikiki on Priceline and our offer was accepted by the Hawaii Prince.

Our room was nice and very clean. They actually upgraded us to a higher floor (which usually comes with a higher price!) and we had a great view. I am very particular about the places we stay (it must be VERY clean!) and was very happy with our choice. Everything was in working order and clean. The only two "flaws" I found were that the desk chair was getting threadbare and the bathroom counter was small. On the up side, the shower was separate from the bathtub and was a more generous size than the normal set-up. There were louvered doors (very Japanese in style) with which you could pull for privacy in the commode, the bathroom, and even one to close off the room itself from the bathroom/hallway/entry area. The view (although no lanai) was gorgeous and the windows opened like a 1/2 door of sliding glass.

The service was impeccable. The concierge was bubbly and had great suggestions on places to go and either she or the front desk had great directions and even had the directions to some places printed on a heavy cardstock with a great map included. While there, I took advantage of a discount offered in the spa. The facial was nice and somewhat different for me as it was done in a Japanese style. We didn't eat at the hotel as we already had other places we wanted to try, so I can't give you any information regarding the restaurants. I can attest, however, to the fact that the pool was barely used- it was like having your own private pool!

I do not believe we could have found a place to stay with a more polite and helpful staff. Overall, this was an excellent experience and we will return!

-HomelessGirl

• Stayed October 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
20 Thank Homeless_Girl
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2005

The hotel needs a sprucing up. The room was comparable to a mid level chain hotel. The bathroom was cramped and dirty feeling.

Overall, we would not return to the Hawaii Prince and actually checked out earlier in the day to make an earlier flight. We didn't see any reason to hang out at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank bsg1003
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Prince for four nights in the middle of October and we have no real complaints. The staff was wonderful. Everyone we dealt with from the front desk to the valets were very courteous and friendly and quick to take care of our needs.

The room was great with an awesome view of the Ala Wai Boat Harbor and the sunset. And one night there was a fireworks show that felt like it was a few feet in front of us. It was incredible.

There is a free shuttle to the main areas of Waikiki, since the Prince is at the far west end, but it is also very close to the Ala Moana Shopping Mall, which is a plus.

The only minus was a weak breakfast buffet. We would have been better off ordering off the menu. But the service was great.

I'm sure we'll stay here again and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
13 Thank George W
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel on three separate occasions and have been pleased with each stay. The rooms all face the ocean and have amazing views. The hotel is at the end of Waikiki, just adjacent to the canal, so it is quiet. You can walk to the beach or to Ala Moana Mall in about 5 minutes. The rooms have always been clean, and everything works. The only time I had a problem was the first time I stayed there, the lock on my door would not open. The maintainence men could not open it either, even with the master key. My wife and I spent about an hour in the hall (at 10:30PM) while they worked to get the door open. Finally a couple of hotel engineers got the door open. Needless to say, we had to switch rooms, and we were upgraded to a suite, had our parking paid for and got hotel credit to use at the restaurant/spa. I felt that they handled the situation well, and we were justly compensated, and our next two visits were uneventful. When you look at other hotels in Waikiki, there are few that offer such nice accomodations, beautiful views, great location and reasonable prices. You could spend twice as much at some of the more crowded locations on Waikiki and have a view of a courtyard.

• Stayed January 2005
18 Thank DaveKC74
San Francisco CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2005

Afther doing a bid on priceline for a 4 star hotel, I got the Hawaii prince hotel offered for 125 USD Per night (7 nights). When we arrived at Honolulu airport we drove to this hotel; which is about a 20 minute drive. Before I had called the hotel about parking possibilities, and was told that there was a self parking garage. When we entered the garage we could not find any availible parking spot. Afther a 12 hour flight and 2 small children; you do not expect do drive arround the parking garage for 30 minutes to find a spot. I drove back to the parking attendant, where I demanded to speak with the manager. The manager came to see us and appologized to us. He offered me to use the valet parking free of charge. The hotel is nice with a beautifull view over the Marina harbor and almost across from the Ala Moana shopping centre. Most guest are from Japan, as there is a japanese tour desk across the elavators. The Rooms are Typical Japanese style. 2 double beds which were a little too small for 2 adults and 2 children, but room was very clean and had a very nice roman style bathroom (and a toilet which flushes the best I've ever seen). The hotel offers also a complimentary shuttle service to the Heart of waikiki which is very nearby. The Pool was also quite nice with a nice view over the marina harbor and sea. later during the week we experienced similair parking problems, which is really something you do not expect from a 4 star hotel; overall we have enjoyed our stay here..but be warned when parking in the garage.

17 Thank goodservice
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2005

This is for my honeymoon trip to Hawaii and Hawaii Prince was nothing but great!!! I did a lot of research before committing to Hawaii Prince and I have no regrets at all. Every room has an ocean view. Unlike some of the hotels in Waikiki, ocean view may mean leaning out of your lanai (balcony) and turn your head to see the ocean. At Hawaii Prince, you open your BIG window and there's the ocean! Better yet, you don't feel crowded as in the heart of Waikiki. The hotel is at the entrance of Waikiki, neighboring the Ala Wai Yacht harbor, Ala Moana beach, and Ala Moana Shopping center. Going to Waikiki is only minutes away by trolley (free of charge) or 10 minutes on foot. I think Hawaii Prince has huge advantage on shopping and beach. Ala Wai beach is walkable in minutes. Shopping at the Ala Moana Shopping Center, which is more preferred in my opinion, is again walkable. You will also find better bargains and choice of food at the Ala Moana Shopping Center. The service at the hotel was superb. From valet to front desk to concierge, everyone was very helpful and courteous!! Our room was very clean and comfortable and the bathroom has a sense of luxury. The cleaning service was spectacular. Everyday, our room was cleaned to perfection, just like the day we arrived. The hotel offers self parking or valet parking. When the self-parking lot was full in the evening, the hotel just valet-parked my car without any additional charges!! Love it! :) I will definitely stay at Hawaii Prince again on my next trip!!

• Stayed September 2005