“A Lovely Stay...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brisbane, Australia
“A Lovely Stay...”
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We stayed at the Equus for a week in August and I would definitely stay there again. The rooms were clean, it was a pretty good location and value for money. Like other posters have said it is not a well-known location so make sure you have the address with you to find it. We just had to walk across the road to another hotel to get the tour buses so it was fine.
THE PROS - The staff were friendly - particularly the girl at the front desk whose name I can't remember - and let my sister check in early after she arrived feeling really sick. Also our air-con broke down one day and they fixed it right away. The room was nicely renovated and clean. It had the most comfortable beds and pillows we've ever slept on. The TV had about 40 channels. there's an internet computer in the lobby that just cost a few dollars to use. It was 5 minutes walk to Ala Moana shopping centre although a bit longer into Waikiki. there's an ABC shop on the corner and a McDonalds nearby as well as a few restaurants.

CONS - I agree with another poster that they could try to clean their rooms faster - we got back some days at about 4pm and our room still hadn't been done but that was a minor irritation. There was a bit of noise but we had the air-con on so that drowned it out. On the first morning we were there some kids were diving in the pool at about 6am but they were quickly told to stop. Also the toilets sound like airline toilets when they flush so you hear the neighbouring rooms flushing but you get used to it. lol. We had a room right down the hall from the check-in counter so I can't comment on the lift because we didn't use it. The only other downside I can think of is that we had to go to the Aqua property next door to do our laundry but housekeeping was using all the washers and dryers to do the sheets and towels so they should really have separate facilities for guests.
Apart from that it was a great stay and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank rosemaryo23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
wheare
Reviewed September 3, 2007

i loved my stay in room 206. the architecture was very warm and womb like. the staff was remarkable. mei was the sweetest woman i have ever met and mariah was very helpful in aiding our adventures beyond waikiki. i give this hotel 4 and a half stars and plan to return on my next trip to hawaii. i can't wait to see the hotel after the renovations are complete. a roof garden would really be a cherry on this supreme sunday .

• Liked — the quality of the bed, and the comfort of the room
  • Disliked — the pool was cold
  • Stayed June 2007
3 Thank Mike C
Montreal
Reviewed August 21, 2007

We were wanting to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon. Most hotels were priced over $175.00, the we came across the Equus. We were hesitant at first as it was a newly renovated hotel and there have been many reviews since the renovations were completed. But at an average of $80.00 per night, we decided we'd take the gamble. We arrived late night and did have some difficulty finding the place, as it is not a very large building. Our first impression was that the front dest looked like some cheap motel ( I say this in comparison to the usual Sheraton, Hilton, etc..). However, the clerk was very nice and efficient. The rooms were spotless, which is the first thing I look for in a hotel. And the bed....what can I say...If I could have fit it in my luggage, I would have taken it home!
I guess the bed provides the extra comfort you'll need to get a good night's sleep with all the noise coming from outside. We were on the 4th floor and still it sounded like there was a traffic jam in our room. It does quiet down late at night.
Housekeeping was not very well organized, we often came back to our room in the late afternoon ( 3 or 4PM) and housekkeping had come by, but only to pick up the dirty towels and UNmake the bed...Another crew would come in later with clean towels and line (usually around 4:30, as they finished at 5:00
Parking is located in a separate building behind the hotel, and is secured by a remote controlled gate. This was not a big inconvenience, as it is only a 30 second walk to the parking. And besides, parking is only $15.00 a night compared to $25.00 charged by most other properties.
The pool is nothing to write home about...it is located between two buildings so it does not get much sun...it was so cold, that a hotel employee was surprised I was actually swimming in it!
Overall, we enjoyed our stay...Clean rooms, Welcoming staff, but most of all, an ideal location for the price!

• Liked — Comfortable king size bed!
  • Disliked — Housekeeping done too late in the day
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank airc
Seattle
Reviewed August 15, 2007

I was apprehensive about this hotel since some of the locals who were providing my transportation to the hotel were not aware of this hotel and the driver of our van seemed to give it a so-so type of description. I also read some of the feedback from sights such as this which provided feedback that did not come across very positive. Well! To my and my daughter's delight...the accomodations provided at The Equus were just fine! The owners did a fine job of renovating the rooms. It felt very welcoming and I loved the "Hawaiian plantation" type of decor! The room was very modest but clean (very important to us above all! I am, afterall a Director of Housekeeping at another hotel!) I did not expect a lot of "fru fru" in my room, but was very pleased overall with our stay at The Equus! If someone is looking for simplicity and cleanliness, yes, I would suggest this small hotel. Use your money playing!! A person can not arrive at this property expecting the upgrades usually found in bigger hotels! The staff was pleasant with us and helpful when we needed help! Again...expect simple and pleasant! It was easy enough to get to the beach and the heart of Waikiki once we figured out our direction and which bus would take us to certain destinations. I feel we got what we paid for and left quite happy! If you've travelled to Europe, this hotel reminds me of some of the smaller places you would find, say, in Rome or Spain. P.S. The pool was veeerrrry cold...even on a sunny, hot day!

• Liked — The decor! Very well done!
  • Disliked — The noise! Oh my gosh, I was glad when the traffic finally died down for the night!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank TwoGalsonanAdventure
Maui
Reviewed July 20, 2007

My partner and I just returned from a recent trip to Honolulu and a stay at The Equus. The hotel it self is a cozy one, not overly decorated and with just enough amenties to keep you happy. Located right on Ala Moana Blvd., it is conveniently located close to Waikiki, Ala Moana Center and other attractions. Our only concerns were the one elevator, the on-site "off site" parking, located at the Aqua Waikiki Marina (just behind The Equus), and the hum of traffic that somehow filtered through the sliding glass doors (we were on the 5th floor. Other than that, the staff was very friendly and courteous, especially at the the Front desk, and the rooms were very clean and very cozy. I would definitely do a return visit.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank theKID19
Denver, CO
Reviewed July 18, 2007

This is a small boutique hotel that has been recently remodeled. The rooms were very comfortable and the beds great! Nice details were included and complimentary water at check-in appreciated. The parking garage is a little difficult, as no way to go directly from hotel tower to parking. Ask for rooms away from Ala Moana Blvd., or the noise will get you! Great value for the money and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank ajaDenver_CO
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed July 7, 2007

The hotel was recently renovated with a granite countertops and a huge comfortabe bed with tons of pillows. The tv was a flat screen Westinghouse and the room was always clean, with the hotel staff curtious and friendly. The downside is parking is expensive and will have to find a side street to park on. The hotel is walking distance from Wakiki beach. I was visiting friends so neither were an issue for me. Would definately stay again!!!

• Liked — The huge comfortable bed and the lanai
  • Disliked — traffic, parking, location decent-but within walking distance
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo