We were scheduled to stay here for 6 days in February 2009. We only ended up staying one night...here is why....
THE NEGATIVE STUFF:
So, we thoroughly searched for hotels in Honolulu for my brother's wedding, we did all this research on many different hotels and we found this one, it seemed to be the nicest hotel for the best price, so we booked and were very excited about it! All the reviews we read said nothing but good things about the hotel, the only bad things we read were that it was noisy...understatement of the year...I will explain more later...
First of all, this hotel is very easy to drive by and miss, as there is no real driveway, it is just off the sidewalk and you walk up to the "lobby" area. Upon arrival, we were stunned at the exterior appearance! When we checked in the man working there seemed distracted and not very interested in helping us at all (he was watching TV at the time we checked in). We got our keys and got onto the elevator to take us up to our rooms, we stepped off and were shocked to see that it was exterior entrance to our rooms..but we were still optimistic at this point..upon entering our room we were STUNNED! The room looked DIRTY and GROSS. We began to explore our room a bit more, just thinking it would get better, but it got worse. The rooms are somewhat small (we got a King room), but that was not a problem, I think the problem began when we entered the bathroom and looked at the condition of our shower...it was filthy and disgusting, we decided in that instant to shower with our shoes on!!!! Then, the tiny ants that were in our bathroom was somewhat of a turn-off. We decided to check out our balcony....DISGUSTING. It overlooked Ala Moana Blvd (which is very busy) and the furniture on the balcony looks like something they picked up from a yard sale, it was old, rundown and not appealing.
We did not feel safe in this area - the door jam around our door into our room looked as though it had been kicked in once before, as you could see daylight at the top of it! The safe is a key-safe but NO key....not that I would trust anything in that safe to begin with.
We immediately began calling other hotels to change the following day, since we would already be paying for this one. The free breakfast..well, I wasn't expecting a full spread or anything, but it is literally just a banana and dinner roll. The pool was disgusting, it is TINY and it did not look clean!! We spent one night and woke up early to find our new hotel!!! Upon waking up we were greeted with lots of ants in our sink!!! Just another factor that made our decision to move hotels much easier! The furniture was rundown, there were holes in the walls, it had really dirty popcorn ceilings and the carpets were stained! During the night you can hear EVERYTHING going on outside. It felt as though we slept with the windows open (the traffic is SO loud being as this hotel is on a bus route), also you could hear other guest's doors slamming all night...did not get a very good rest the one night we did stay.
THE FEW POSITIVES WE HAVE (there aren't many):
This hotel is close to the Ala Moana shopping mall which is HUGE and REALLY nice. That's it.
Overall...we would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. It was not at all what we expected from the website and we were very disappointed upon our arrival. We were expecting a little bit nicer of a facility. The best money we ever spent was upgrading to a nicer hotel!!!! You get what you pay for, lesson learned I guess.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Equus is a charming boutique hotel located on Waikiki's "Upper West Side" where you will find an abundance of restaurants, easy access to one of the world's largest shopping malls, a quick stroll to the beach and gorgeous sunset views. The hotel guestrooms are warm and contemporary, keeping true to the hotel's equestrian theme with Ralph Lauren-inspired touches throughout. An intimate lobby and lanai offer a dipping pool, gazebo and a weekly cocktail reception.All guestrooms are appointed with cozy pillow-top beds, flat screen TVs, refrigerator with freezer, Keurig coffee maker with organic coffee, and complimentary full property WiFi. Portable printers can be delivered for those on business. Best of all, the friendly staff offers the kind of personal assistance delivered with Aloha that only a small, family-run hotel can offer. IMPORTANT NOTES: *Stairway Access Only *Valet Parking Only $25/night *Provide Arrival Time - for luggage assistance ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, Choice Hotels, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Priceline, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your The Equus Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Equus Hotel And Marina Tower
- Equus An Aqua Boutique Hotel
- The Equus Hotel Hawaii/Honolulu