“has its charm” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas
“has its charm”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2008

For the price and location I will probably recommend this hotel. It is clean and some (very few) of the staff are helpful and friendly. They make you feel comfortable. On the other hand, I noticed that most of the friendliness in this hotel is very strained. Some staff members sound like they are forcing themselves to be hospitable. Your complaints will mostly fall on deaf ears. But if you are looking for a place to deposit your bags while you explore Hawaii, this is a good place to be in. I especially liked the (free!) newspaper, fresh juices, mini muffins and pastries, and fruits served in the lobby every morning. Just do not be late! The staff removes everything promptly at 9:30am. It is almost comical. They really look like they are scrambling to get the food out. (ha ha ha) This hotel also runs out of shampoos and soap bars. The free internet in my room was very nice when it was working. There were several times during my 7-day stay when I get really frustrated with it. But I liked it. Basic and saves you a lot of money.

• Liked — price and practicality
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TexasProwler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
Kauai, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

I'm a huge fan of Aqua Resorts (boutique series) hotel in Oahu. My usual stay is at the Aqua Palms and Spa. They seemed to be relatively full during my trips, thus tried the Equus hotel because it's still in the category of their "boutique" line.

My first stay there was very impressive. Don't let the exterior fool you. The company invested a lot of money to renovate the hotel. The interior was well designed, moderately contemporary with what they were challenged with. I am in love with the comfort of the bed! THE BED IS WONDERFUL!

Anyway, since then, I've stayed at the Equus about five times, just on November 21, as a matter of fact.

Unfortunately, each stay encountered some problems... I'll explain my most recent trip.

1. During my online reservation, I requested that there be extra bath towels. No extras were left. I needed to request from housekeeping.

2. Upon check-in, person said that he'll "upgrade" me to a king bed (I booked two doubles). It didn't matter to me, I was by myself. Not sure if it's considered an upgrade, my opinion, no.

3. Entering the room, it seemed half done. Everything seems to be ok, however the extra pillows that are usually propped up nicely, were just thrown on the bed. Not sure if housekeeping forgot to finish... I also walked on a wrapper that stuck to my shoes. - Strike 1.

Reported room to front desk. Didn't seem to have believed me. Not sure why I'd lie. He assigned me another room.

4. This room didn't have extra towels (item #1), shampoo was missing, although hair conditioner and lotion was there. - Strike 2.

5. When walking to the shower (carpet to ceramic tile), I almost slipped because either the carpet was a little damp or the tiles were damp enough to have made me lose my footing.

7. When I was ready to sleep, I noticed an unusual smell, something like detergent or possibly carpet shampoo. That smell seemed to get stronger as the hours passed. I needed to open the patio door to vent the smell. Strike 3.

I reported it to both houskeeping and front desk, but fell on deaf ears.

My experience with the Aqua Resorts are good - overall. What bugs me the most? DO THEY READ THE COMMENT CARDS? I've always left comments, yes, good and constructive criticism type, but never got an e-mail back...

Good luck folks, I'll start to go back to my original favorite, Aqua Palms and Spa...

• Liked — The location, edge of Waikiki.
  • Disliked — Condition of my room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2008

I have stayed with The Equus before, and it seems that it just keeps getting better and better. Every time I return, they have improved and continue to impress. The amazing aloha spirit of the friendly staff adds such a personal feel to the stay. It is an incredibly unique hotel, which goes out of its way to make you feel individually looked after. Besides this, the rooms are beautiful and the location is unbeatable. The beds are also to die for!!! Best sleep I have ever had! All in all, I will continue to recommend the Equus to everyone, and certainly always look forward to staying there!

• Liked — The personable staff and the BEDS!!
  • Disliked — leaving!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

I was very satisfied with my stay at the Equus. I got a super great deal on Travelocity and came expecting a really budget hotel. Luckily this hotel worked out great for me. It was so close to the convention center, the mall and Ala Moana park which was awesome to jog around. The king sized bed was comfortable and the flat screen tv was nice.

The bathroom size was a little annoying for me being a girl that likes to spread out. Way too small to blow dry your hair without melting but luckily there were mirrors and outlets convenient for drying your hair in the main room. Also the shower is teeny tiny and trying to shave my legs in there was comical. A tub would have been really nice to have, but again I can't complain considering what I paid. The room is probably best for no more than 1-2 people. (Probably not big enough for 2 girls considering the bathroom situation).

The staff was really friendly. The pool was kinda unusable except for maybe a quick dip as it was always in the shade and pretty small. I noticed they kept a loud jet on in the pool at all times that I could hear from inside my room. I think they used it to cover some of the street noise which was considerable. There was all sorts of construction going on and busses and delivery trucks going by. I just shut my sliding doors at night.

The only other thing that the room was dark as you couldn't keep the sliding shutters open without everyone in the apartments directly across the way being able to see in. Oh well.
The fresh fruit and juice in the tiny lobby in the morning was nice as well.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — ugly view from lanai
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

Hotel EQUUS

Location: Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii

This letter is a rare visit to a web site ---- my second ever review Why ... I was impressed.

Hotel Equus is not a five star hotel.... albeit there many touches, which emulmate a five star atmosphere. There front desk area is clean and not filled with promotional propaganda...the front desk has zero items on the counter....A touch of class you usually see in really expensive hotels..... someone clearly cares about the details which make a place special.

They have achieved a lovely boutique property look with rooms; which are fresh and have a Ralph Lauren look.
Not sure they have handicap access...they do have a rare tennis court in Waikiki...no valet parking. No restaurants exceot for breakfast service A little hidden away....but worth finding

Some number of years ago, the travel industry called good and bad customer letters "orchid" and "onion" letters. Well, this is an orchid letter. It is one of the rare, favorable commentaries on hotel service in the world today. For some time, have believed that old-fashioned hard work and professionalism as well as the standards and criteria that make Hotel Industry great have long since either disappeared or perhaps gone overseas to the Far East. Clearly this is not the case with

HOTEL EQUUS Honolulu, Hawaii

. and their get things done attitude. The staff is well trained and of whom all a hotel industry people should use for an example. Super clean, organized, a nice breakfast . A warm friendly place with a very motivated staff.

Hotels today, rarely has professionals, and now we have an outstanding individuals of whom to be proud!

Please tell Rene' at front desk was very competent. A classic Hawaiian beauty too

It is always a pleasure in any walk of life or endeavor to see professionalism demonstrated.

Even our maid was competent...a clean and room with a super attitude.

Please accept my heartfelt gratitude for this superb service. Please pass the word to other properties too.
Once again Mr. Michael Dailey thank you for making this hotel special.
Awesome property…. make our trip to Ireland special…staff made us feel right at home.

Aloha nui loa from

Patrick Brent

Chairman BF&C

and a hotelier of many years, who knows quality 10 November 2008

• Liked — rooms new and fresh plus staff were super
  • Disliked — no valet parking
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank ptb2929
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2008

Right, this hotel is not in the middle of Waikiki beach, but it's just a 5 minutes walk to get to the Hilton side of the beach on your left. On your right, you're just 3 minutes walk to the Ala moana Park. If you want to be right in the middle of everything, maybe this place is not for you. But if you don't mind that, it's a great little place to stay for a few days at a very reasonable price.

The room and bed we had was comfortable, many pillows, a balcony, spotless. Continental breakfast is included and good. Staff are friendly and helpful. Yes, the elevetor is so so, but as we were at the second floor, it didn't matter, we took the stairs.

Next time I go to Hawaii, I'll stay there for sure.

• Liked — Nice and clean, not too big or small
  • Disliked — Slow elevator, but that is very minor
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

My husband and I were taking a 6 day vacation/visiting friends, because we were staying such a long time we did not want to spent over $100 per night. We purchased the buy 5 night get 1 night free for $80/night.
I can say for the price that we were paying we were satisfy with our stay. The shower was very (I mean very) small. There was not much room between the end of the bed and the TV, even though they said WIFI, but it was restricted to area in front of the TV and the bathroom.
It was about a 15 - 20 min walk to the main section of Waikiki. If you have visited Las Vegas, think of the location like Sahara, still on the strip, but towards the end. There is a lot of noise as others had mentioned because of the road constructions, you learn to block it out.
I would hesitate recommending the hotel to others unless you are on a budget and are not planning on staying in the room much.

• Liked — Cheap for the stays.
  • Disliked — How old the building was.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple