The Equus, an Ascend Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$169
$420
$325
Westin.com
$525
$305
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$179
$242
$558
$525
1,619 results
All reviewsala moana blvdmarina towerred lobsterabc storealoha spiritwaikiki beachwithin walking distancestreet noisesmall hotelflat screen tvconvention centeracross the streetlight sleepercoffee machinethe entire staffsmall poolbus stop
Reviewed November 9, 2008

After many visits to Oahu, and numerous bland stays at the large resorts, I decided to take a friend's suggestion and try this delightful renovated boutique hotel, THE EQUUS. Wondering what a hotel with a Latin name was doing in the tropics, I walked along Ala Moana Blvd. and came upon this charming property with its brass stairway and intimate design. The lobby is open-air and very smart...the front desk staff were professional and personable. I took a room on the 8th floor that featured Hawaiian style bamboo bed and furnishings, Everything was clean and first-rate, and the bathrooms featured new marble and tile.
The location of the hotel is perfect for us business travellers, as it is a block away from Ala Moana Center, and the convention center. Sure beats having to rent a car...
Although there is no hotel restaurant, there is the Hawaii Prince Hotel and their fine dining right across the street, and our very favorite Honolulu restaurant , CHART HOUSE at the Ala Wai
Harbor also across the street. Ala Moana Center andd Ward Centers offer dozens of great places to eat, as well as those located around Waikiki.
Laundry facilities, tennis, and a jacuzzi are right next door at the Waikiki Marina, another hotel operated by the Aqua group.
My room featured an entertainment system called INN
NE TWORK which was teriffic! 32" flat screen TV doubled as monitor for Dell computer, and gave me movies, radio, and the internet.
I would recommend The Equus for anybody visitng Oahu who wanted to be near, but not ON the beach. The west end of Waikiki Beach is only 2 blocks away, and offers the best swimming and beaching in the area.
I found out that The Equus is a family owned business, and I am sure that this is part of the reason the place is run so well.
I will be back

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank gmanSantabarbara_ca
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I have stayed in this property more than a dozen times. It's within walking distance to Ala Moana Shopping Center and Kalakaua Ave in Waikiki. The rooms closest to Ala Moana Blvd can be noisy though closing the sliding glass doors keeps much of the noise out. The hotel rooms were renovated over the past two years and are really lovely to stay in - large comfortable beds, flat screen TVs, in-room fridge. The best part of the hotel is the really great staff who go out of their way to take care of everything you ask them. A continental breakfast and complimentary newspaper available in the lobby each morning is a real bonus. if you keep in mind that this is a boutique hotel, you will be very happy with your stay here especially given their extremely reasonable rates. Across the street from Ala Moana Beach Park with gorgeous beaches, restaurants and shopping very close at hand and the YMCA for those who like to get some exercise in. I will continue to stay here into the future.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank daveonmaui
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I stayed at the Equus for a week, and I loved it. I read previous reviews before I booked the hotel. The one concern in all reviews was noise so when i booked my room I asked for a room away from the road. I couldnt hear a thing. So that was good. The room service was great. The staff even better. They were always helpful with advice on how to get around on island and the best times to see some of the popular attractions. The conntinental breakfast was okay it had a couple different pastrys and breakfast sandwiches. It could have been better. But overall it was good. The hotel even offered to hold my bags due to late night flight with no charge. That was great. I always recomend this hotel to family and friends heading to Hawaii.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cmrmkmcm
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I stayed at the Equus for two nights in the Polo City View King room and I wasn't disappointed at all. There was a flat screen TV with HD inputs as well as a wireless modem that was given to me for effortless internet access. The room looks just like the photos say (small but functional), but the "city view" is nothing more than looking at the balconies of a neighboring hotel. No problem there because a hotel room is meant only for sleeping anyway. The building does seem old, but the room I was in felt updated and had no issues as far as peeling paint/bad odors. The bathroom was small but once again, felt recently updated. The lanai could've gotten a quick wipe down of the table out there/sweep up during the maid service, but other than that the room was spotless. The room I stayed in had no microwave and there was only one ice maker in the property, in a vending area behind the check in desk. There was a microwave there as well which leads me to believe that this is a common microwave/ice maker for the entire hotel. The location was perfect for me, about 2 blocks away from Ala Moana mall, Ala Wai park/beach, and there is an ABC store on the corner for quick snacks, drinks, etc. I felt somewhat at ease walking around the area at night because of other tourists on the street (Ala Moana Blvd.) and this hotel is within walking distance of all the shopping and restaurants of Waikiki. The weekend I was there was pretty quiet, but noise from the boulevard below can and does get into the room easily, probably due to the fact that the only thing between you and outside is a big glass door (for the lanai). If you're a really light sleeper, I'd recommend ear plugs. Overall, I would recommend this property for single travelers or a husband and wife due to the size of the King room. I would definitely come back here, given the ridiculously low price I paid (less than $150) for two nights.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank stonyisland
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I'm a Honolulu resident that wanted to take a weekend in Waikiki, so I thought I'd try the Equus. I booked the Polo Executive Suite, it's very comfortable. If you're on a budget this hotel is perfect for you. Bus stops are a block away, eateries are close by and numerous, and the staff is extremely helpful.

There are some drawbacks - if you're planning on using a rental car, parking is limited and quite expensive. The hotel is a bit noisy because the hotel is adjacent to Ala Moana Blvd. which is a very busy street.

Overall I would rate Equus a solid 8 for mainland visitors on a budget.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo