“Awsome Hotel and Staff”

GreenLeadersBronze level
washington state
“Awsome Hotel and Staff”
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I stayed at the Equus for a week, and I loved it. I read previous reviews before I booked the hotel. The one concern in all reviews was noise so when i booked my room I asked for a room away from the road. I couldnt hear a thing. So that was good. The room service was great. The staff even better. They were always helpful with advice on how to get around on island and the best times to see some of the popular attractions. The conntinental breakfast was okay it had a couple different pastrys and breakfast sandwiches. It could have been better. But overall it was good. The hotel even offered to hold my bags due to late night flight with no charge. That was great. I always recomend this hotel to family and friends heading to Hawaii.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmrmkmcm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I stayed at the Equus for two nights in the Polo City View King room and I wasn't disappointed at all. There was a flat screen TV with HD inputs as well as a wireless modem that was given to me for effortless internet access. The room looks just like the photos say (small but functional), but the "city view" is nothing more than looking at the balconies of a neighboring hotel. No problem there because a hotel room is meant only for sleeping anyway. The building does seem old, but the room I was in felt updated and had no issues as far as peeling paint/bad odors. The bathroom was small but once again, felt recently updated. The lanai could've gotten a quick wipe down of the table out there/sweep up during the maid service, but other than that the room was spotless. The room I stayed in had no microwave and there was only one ice maker in the property, in a vending area behind the check in desk. There was a microwave there as well which leads me to believe that this is a common microwave/ice maker for the entire hotel. The location was perfect for me, about 2 blocks away from Ala Moana mall, Ala Wai park/beach, and there is an ABC store on the corner for quick snacks, drinks, etc. I felt somewhat at ease walking around the area at night because of other tourists on the street (Ala Moana Blvd.) and this hotel is within walking distance of all the shopping and restaurants of Waikiki. The weekend I was there was pretty quiet, but noise from the boulevard below can and does get into the room easily, probably due to the fact that the only thing between you and outside is a big glass door (for the lanai). If you're a really light sleeper, I'd recommend ear plugs. Overall, I would recommend this property for single travelers or a husband and wife due to the size of the King room. I would definitely come back here, given the ridiculously low price I paid (less than $150) for two nights.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The elevator did not go down to street level. You have to go up 1 story of stairs to reach the check in desk.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank stonyisland
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I'm a Honolulu resident that wanted to take a weekend in Waikiki, so I thought I'd try the Equus. I booked the Polo Executive Suite, it's very comfortable. If you're on a budget this hotel is perfect for you. Bus stops are a block away, eateries are close by and numerous, and the staff is extremely helpful.

There are some drawbacks - if you're planning on using a rental car, parking is limited and quite expensive. The hotel is a bit noisy because the hotel is adjacent to Ala Moana Blvd. which is a very busy street.

Overall I would rate Equus a solid 8 for mainland visitors on a budget.

• Liked — price and service
  • Disliked — parking, location and lack of large pool.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Redcliffe
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Looks good from the outside... inside is a little rundown..no elevator from the street up to the lobby..so carrying lugguage was a bit of a pain..we were there when they were doing roadworks..so was real noisy with road surfacing..even on nights when they werent ripping up the street there was a lot of car sounds...but you do get use to it. Great ac..renovated bathroom was nice...bed was not the most comfortable. Lobby staff were very helpful and friendly, cleaning crew didn't seem to understand english very well.Close to restaurants and a bus to main shopping centre. I would stay there again if I was wanting cheap accomodation.Breakfast wasnt very interesting or worth going down stairs for.But as I said I would stay there again.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
hawaiipolohawaii, Sales and Marketing at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
thank you for your review.

We are pleased to read you enjoyed the great value at The Equus at the entrance to Waikiki and discovered the many dining and shopping options avaiable.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to your next visit...I am confident that you will see enjoy the beautiful results of the changes that were being made to Ala Moana Blvd during your stay wtih us.

Warm Aloha

Susan Weander
susan.weander@hawaiipolo.com
Victoria, BC
Reviewed November 2, 2008

We found the Aqua Equus on this website and were ultimately pleased with our choice. We were looking for a smaller property and weren't concerned about beachfront so we opted for the Equus. We were very pleased with it's location since it was only a few blocks from the beach and a 20 minute walk to the Ala Moana shopping center and directly on a major bus route. When we arrived we were somewhat skeptical when we saw the front entrance of the hotel from Ala Moana Boulevard. It's entrance is small and, if you aren't paying attention, you will drive right by. It looks more like the entrance to an apartment than that of a hotel. The lobby is dated but tidy, open to the outside and has a small sitting area adjacent (where you can get a coffee and pastry breakfast each morning). Our room with king bed was on the 9th floor and was clean and relatively quiet even though the busy (all day and much of the night) Ala Moana Blvd runs right in front of the hotel. The elevator could use a major overhaul. It (there is only one) was old and slow as molasses. Use the stairs if you need to get up or down in a hurry. We stayed for 3 nights and were quite happy with the room, the staff and the location. If you are looking for a place that's comfortable and reasonable, then try the Equus. By the way, there wasn't a hair dryer in the room, but the front desk will lend you one if you ask.

• Liked — Location to beach, shopping, buses
  • Disliked — Elevator
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susanne
san francisco
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Had a wonderful week at the Equus Boutique hotel on our honeymoon. Room had many amenities including flat screen monitor for movies and high-speed internet access--which worked without a hitch. Best bed we've ever slept in too.
Service was above average and we were surprised to get a knock on the door by a maid delivering a wonderful basket of local fruits and champagne. Continental breakfast started a little late for our tastes but compared to most continental breakfasts served, this one was pretty respectable. Cannot say enough about Rene the manager and Pacu the assistant manager, who were gracious from the moment we arrrived.
We give this (4) thumbs-up!

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank tombus2
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2008

To say that this property is full of surprises, both good and bad, is an understatement. I must admit that for what I paid for the room each night, I got what I paid for. Firstly, the rooms displayed on the Equus' website are not what I got. A few pictures of polo players and horses does not make it Ralph Lauren inspired. The furniture was outdated and some needed repair. A corner chip on the right side night stand snagged a pair of trousers I was wearing. The bed was king-sized and clean. The door leading to the lanai was difficult to open; I had to use some force to open and close it. The bathroom, although small, was clean but I did encounter a few "crawling creatures" during my stay. The shower stall left very little room for movement and I couldn't adjust the showerhead to adequately allow water to fall upon me. There is one small elevator at the site and it takes an extremely long time to rise. Most of the time I took the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. For those of us without a laptop, there is computer access in the lobby however, it will cost you .15 cents per minute (pre-paid with cash or credit card). The free continental breakfast consists of tasty muffins and pastries, fruits, juices and coffee. To compensate take a walk a block from the hotel to the ABC Store where you can find reasonably priced food items, souvenirs, and a variety of drinks and spirits. The staff at the Equus is quite friendly and accommodating. The location was perfect for my needs. Everything could be found within a 2 to 3 block range. Although it rained everyday during my stay, I still ventured down the street to Ala Moana Park and to the Ala Moana Marketplace. This was my first visit to Hawaii and would I stay at the Equus again? Yes, but I don't believe it would be my first choice.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Outdated furniture and slow elevator
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business