“Good hotel if you're on a budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Equus Hotel

The Equus Hotel
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Good hotel if you're on a budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

I'm a Honolulu resident that wanted to take a weekend in Waikiki, so I thought I'd try the Equus. I booked the Polo Executive Suite, it's very comfortable. If you're on a budget this hotel is perfect for you. Bus stops are a block away, eateries are close by and numerous, and the staff is extremely helpful.

There are some drawbacks - if you're planning on using a rental car, parking is limited and quite expensive. The hotel is a bit noisy because the hotel is adjacent to Ala Moana Blvd. which is a very busy street.

Overall I would rate Equus a solid 8 for mainland visitors on a budget.

• Liked — price and service
  • Disliked — parking, location and lack of large pool.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
Redcliffe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

Looks good from the outside... inside is a little rundown..no elevator from the street up to the lobby..so carrying lugguage was a bit of a pain..we were there when they were doing roadworks..so was real noisy with road surfacing..even on nights when they werent ripping up the street there was a lot of car sounds...but you do get use to it. Great ac..renovated bathroom was nice...bed was not the most comfortable. Lobby staff were very helpful and friendly, cleaning crew didn't seem to understand english very well.Close to restaurants and a bus to main shopping centre. I would stay there again if I was wanting cheap accomodation.Breakfast wasnt very interesting or worth going down stairs for.But as I said I would stay there again.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
hawaiipolohawaii, Sales and Marketing at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2008
thank you for your review.

We are pleased to read you enjoyed the great value at The Equus at the entrance to Waikiki and discovered the many dining and shopping options avaiable.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to your next visit...I am confident that you will see enjoy the beautiful results of the changes that were being made to Ala Moana Blvd during your stay wtih us.

Warm Aloha

Susan Weander
susan.weander@hawaiipolo.com
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

We found the Aqua Equus on this website and were ultimately pleased with our choice. We were looking for a smaller property and weren't concerned about beachfront so we opted for the Equus. We were very pleased with it's location since it was only a few blocks from the beach and a 20 minute walk to the Ala Moana shopping center and directly on a major bus route. When we arrived we were somewhat skeptical when we saw the front entrance of the hotel from Ala Moana Boulevard. It's entrance is small and, if you aren't paying attention, you will drive right by. It looks more like the entrance to an apartment than that of a hotel. The lobby is dated but tidy, open to the outside and has a small sitting area adjacent (where you can get a coffee and pastry breakfast each morning). Our room with king bed was on the 9th floor and was clean and relatively quiet even though the busy (all day and much of the night) Ala Moana Blvd runs right in front of the hotel. The elevator could use a major overhaul. It (there is only one) was old and slow as molasses. Use the stairs if you need to get up or down in a hurry. We stayed for 3 nights and were quite happy with the room, the staff and the location. If you are looking for a place that's comfortable and reasonable, then try the Equus. By the way, there wasn't a hair dryer in the room, but the front desk will lend you one if you ask.

• Liked — Location to beach, shopping, buses
  • Disliked — Elevator
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susanne
san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

Had a wonderful week at the Equus Boutique hotel on our honeymoon. Room had many amenities including flat screen monitor for movies and high-speed internet access--which worked without a hitch. Best bed we've ever slept in too.
Service was above average and we were surprised to get a knock on the door by a maid delivering a wonderful basket of local fruits and champagne. Continental breakfast started a little late for our tastes but compared to most continental breakfasts served, this one was pretty respectable. Cannot say enough about Rene the manager and Pacu the assistant manager, who were gracious from the moment we arrrived.
We give this (4) thumbs-up!

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank tombus2
Garner, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

To say that this property is full of surprises, both good and bad, is an understatement. I must admit that for what I paid for the room each night, I got what I paid for. Firstly, the rooms displayed on the Equus' website are not what I got. A few pictures of polo players and horses does not make it Ralph Lauren inspired. The furniture was outdated and some needed repair. A corner chip on the right side night stand snagged a pair of trousers I was wearing. The bed was king-sized and clean. The door leading to the lanai was difficult to open; I had to use some force to open and close it. The bathroom, although small, was clean but I did encounter a few "crawling creatures" during my stay. The shower stall left very little room for movement and I couldn't adjust the showerhead to adequately allow water to fall upon me. There is one small elevator at the site and it takes an extremely long time to rise. Most of the time I took the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. For those of us without a laptop, there is computer access in the lobby however, it will cost you .15 cents per minute (pre-paid with cash or credit card). The free continental breakfast consists of tasty muffins and pastries, fruits, juices and coffee. To compensate take a walk a block from the hotel to the ABC Store where you can find reasonably priced food items, souvenirs, and a variety of drinks and spirits. The staff at the Equus is quite friendly and accommodating. The location was perfect for my needs. Everything could be found within a 2 to 3 block range. Although it rained everyday during my stay, I still ventured down the street to Ala Moana Park and to the Ala Moana Marketplace. This was my first visit to Hawaii and would I stay at the Equus again? Yes, but I don't believe it would be my first choice.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Outdated furniture and slow elevator
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

We booked this hotel for a 1 night stay during our stopover on Oahu. We needed a place to stay in Honolulu/Waikiki area and didn't want to pay a ton because we were literally only going to sleep there. We didn't need massive amounts of amenities, just a safe, clean and comfortable place to stay. The Equus was a perfect fit for us. It had a reasonable rate, was easy to find, parking was $18 in a secured garaged parking lot, the check in process was quick, the elevator was slow (but not rickety as some previous reviewers have suggested) and our room on the 6th floor was very nice. I guess we were high up enough as the noise did not bother us and we even could see a portion of the ocean off in the distance. The room seemed small (probably because the bed was so large - it was a king) but clean, the bathroom fixtures were all new, there was a fridge, coffee maker and a flat screen tv. It was about a 15 minute walk through Fort Derussy to the heart of Waikiki beach. We walked over to get some dinner and felt the walk was easy and safe. We did not stick around for the continental breakfast in the morning because we had to catch a flight so I cannot comment on it. Overall we were very pleased with the Equus and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a short stay, no frills hotel in the Waikiki area.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jams33
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

If you want a four star hotel, pay the going four star price. If not stay here. Total refurbishment since my last stay very nice. Yes the trim on the elevator needs attention, but I believe the mechanicals had been totally rebuilt recently, prior visit it was clean but decidely run down . Now very clean room, quality linens new furniture and rebuilt baths, all tastefully done. This is a smaller hotel with ltd services, but location is ideal, five minutes from the beach and ten from Ala Moana Centre. The road noise is there, but in all fairness to the hotel there was a repaving project going on during the last week in Sep. The noise did subside after midnight. I suspect many other Waikiki hotels are equally noisy. If you want total quiet go stay at a resort out of town, Waikiki is in the middle of Honolulu folks. I paid 1/3 the going rate of a room at the Hilton Hawaiin village and pocketed the difference, as all I wanted was a clean bed. ABC store just up the steet (a Hawaiian 711) and Outback and Red Lobster are right across the street. Many other restaurants and bars in local area. Breakfast was continental, coffee, fruit and pastries, if you want more, stay elsewhere or pay for a full hot breakfast, it was not a big deal with me as I do not eat much breakfast as a rule. Very cooperative front desk staff unlike prior stay so that is a big improvement as well. An internet connection would have been appreciated, a computer is in the lobby but too pricey to use very long.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — No internet access.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo