“Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Batavia, Illinois
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Great location, walking distance to shopping, beach and restaurants! Beautiful, clean rooms. Comfy beds, updated decor and nice balcony. Wonderful staff, helpful and make you feel comfortable! Will stay again when we go back!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
equusmgmt, General Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Katharyn R,

Mahalo nui loa for your efforts in reviewing your visit to The Equus. We appreciate your valuable feedback and are pleased to have provided the perfect combination of location, comfort and service. It truly is a pleasure to host guests like you, and we hope that you return again soon!

mariah@equushotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Clean rooms, Beautiful décor, and extremely wonderful guest service. Absolutely love the waterfall in the main entrance, and the pictures in the waiting room. Right down the street from all the shopping you could want to do, not far from the beach, and bus depot. Easy in and out access parking. Love this little gem and planned to stay there every time I visit my family in Wahiawa.

Room Tip: Personally the view from the top of the towers is the greatest. You get some pretty awesome pictures...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Julie H,

Many thanks for your review of The Equus. We are happy to provide you with great value in accommodation when you visit Hawaii. It was a pleasure to host you, and we do hope that you visit your "home away from home" again soon!

Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Need clean, firm bed, and a super shower

Hotel Equus surpasses all

easy in & out

Waikiki can be a mess --- close to a big mall and beach

The staff works at making one feel like a GUEST

Mahalo nui loa from Hawaii

Room Tip: Get close to lobby
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
ptb2929,

Mahalo nui for your continued support of The Equus. It is always a pleasure to host you each time you come for a visit. We look forward to seeing you many more times over the years, and appreciate your kind remarks. Your feedback is always a great resource for us to improve our services and for our fellow travelers to make informed decisions. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Let me start with we go on vacation we DO NOT spend the week or two in the room. That having been said, this hotel is WONDERFUL. The rooms are beautiful and the beds beyond comfortable. Out of the mainstream Waikiki, right on the edge which made it great. Walk down the block and you have everything, bus service, car rentals, fast food, slow food, and the nightlife/daylife of Waikiki. Within walking distance also is the Ala Moana Shopping Center and the convention Center.The staff is helpful and go out of their way to be of service. I have stayed in larger hotels where I paid double to triple the amount that The Equus cost and not had nearly as much service and been as comfortable as there. This hotel treats you like family and makes you feel like you are the only person staying there with their attentiveness. Definitely a place to come "home" to at the end of the day and anytime you are on Oahu. As their sign says "E Como Mai" (welcome home). Aloha spirit takes on a whole new meaning from check-in to check out.

Room Tip: Rooms farthest back from Ala Moana Blvd are quietest
1 Thank hawaiicrazy
hawaiicrazy,

Aloha and mahalo for such a remarkable and detailed review of The Equus. We are grateful to have such guests as yourself visit our property, and become part of our Equus 'ohana. It is a pleasure to host you, and we are pleased to provide just the right location with easy access in walking distance of beaches, shopping, night-life and restaurants. Paired with exceptional service, we aim to invite you into our home and host you as family. We do hope to continue serving you, and look forward to your next visit!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I loved the fact that this is a boutique hotel! Rene helped me to problem solve before I even arrived on location. The staff was attentive and helpful. It is a green hotel, which makes the stay even nicer. I stayed for 6 nights and found my room to be comfortable. Yes, it is on Ala Moana Blvd., but that makes it easy if you're walking to the beach or restaurant or driving to the H1 to go to another part of the island. It was an absolutely terrific place to stay. Thank you to Rene and her staff for helping me to make my stay perfect in Hawaii!

Room Tip: I would stay on an upper room in the back corner for optimum quiet.
Green Features: I appreciated the fact that the air conditioner went off after I left the room. As I stayed in the hotel for 6 nights, I didn't need room service everyday and appreciated the opportunity to decline this service. I liked the environmentally friendly personal products provided by the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
NYC suburb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We were a little nervous when we booked this hotel because it seemed like a wildcard, being a boutique hotel and having conflicting online reviews, but as soon as we checked in we knew we had struck gold! We stayed in the one bedroom suite (for which I could hardly find any reviews) and it was awesome. The bedroom was very spacious with plenty of room to open all of our (many) suitcases and still walk around. There was a nice leather recliner by the window. The furnishings were tasteful and the bed was extremely comfortable (I am picky)! There was a real door to close, so I could sleep while my spouse had the lights on in the other room (main room). The main room was a combination of a living room (couch + coffee table + a giant TV screen) /dining room (round table + 2 chairs) plus an eat-in kitchen. There was also a partial ocean view from this room. The kitchen had a microwave, a fridge AND a (big) wine cooler, a Keurig coffee maker, nice granite countertops and 4 barstools (in case you invite guests?). Too bad we didn't see pictures of this before we booked, though I can see pictures NOW on the website (so y'all can have a look a priore, not like me who went in blind). This room was on the 10th floor (top) and for someone like me who prefers to take the stairs most of the time, it was nice that the building stairs were accessible at all times and were lit at all times (not by motion sensors like most Waikiki hotels). Since the lobby is on 2, it was only 8 short flights up and down, far quicker than the elevator.

Now about the staff. They were the best. Attentive, available, very pleasant, and also able to keep their distance when we didn't need anything. There is clearly someone on staff who is very good at origami, because there were pieces of paper AND TOWELS shaped like animals all over the rooms. I've never stolen anything from any hotel in my life, but I was very tempted to take the towel folded in the shape of a duck home with me :)

There was a professional photographer at the hotel when we were there (who tried to grab me into some shots - I declined), so hopefully that means more pictures will be online, which I think is great.

The pool barely exists, but I didn't care (there's an ocean, yo). The hotel is not in the hub of waikiki but almost at the edge, right by the canal. That was fine for me, but if your plan is to experience Waikiki 100% of the time then you might want to be more centrally located. Other than that I have nothing else to caveat.

Room Tip: Get the suite. Great value. I only wish the hotel had more than 1 of these, because if it's not...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank yos9694
Pacific Grove, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Little concerned about the hotel given location right on Ala Moana blvd. Found the hotel to be very well maintained, great room (little small) clean well appointed. The staff was excellent. Two drawbacks, with windows open you will hear traffic, however I've been in places in Waikiki that charged twice as much and had worse noise. Oddly accessing the hotel from the parking area is a little bit of a challenge. From parking to the lobby you go out to the street down the sidewalk and up two short flights of stairs and then into the lobby. It was easy but if you have any mobility issues at all it could be difficult. With all that said for $130 a night including tax and parking in Waikiki it was a great value for a quality place. No question I will be back.

Green Features: This hotel cares a lot about the environment as won awards for their effort.
2 Thank Garyp50