“Great Staycation”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“Great Staycation”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was a beautiful little hideaway. The hotel was well kept, clean and comfortable and the staff was outstanding. Haunani was gracious and all of the staff was friendly and helpful. I loved that this was a small, unobtrusive hotel compared to the overbearing high rises surrounding it. Thank you, Haunani for a beautiful staycation!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank docyap
equusmgmt, General Manager at The Equus Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
docyap,

Big Mahalos for choosing to stay with our Equus Ohana. We thank you for your kind review, and will pass along your thanks to Rene. We enjoyed hosting you for your staycation, and look forward to seeing you again soon!

With Aloha,

mariah@equushotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Literally. So, I chose this hotel because the AAA rate was $99/night, about $50 cheaper than most affordable hotels. But then I found out that nearby hotels were just as inexpensive and were in a tower with like 20+ floors... oh well.

Anyway, I'm going to make this short and bittersweet.

Pros: Affordable, very good climate control system, fridge, nice shower, decent internet connection but NO wireless in room, good cleaning service and replacement of shampoos etc, 0.3 miles from Convention Center (where my conference was), 24-hour front desk service, around the corner from an ABC Store (food and stuff), not far from Hilton complex where the closest beach is.

Cons: Noise from adjacent rooms is loud. Walls are thin. If this is an issue for you like it was me, make sure to ask for a room that does not have an optional conjoining door, which is the least sound-proof door in the world. Also, I had roaches. At least one per day. I know this is the tropics, but that's just unacceptable. It's basically because the door is about 1cm off the ground, so anything small can get in. Blech. Also, my climate control remote control did not work properly, I think the battery was dying. The volume control on my tv was busted, too, so I didn't bother using the tv. Hair drier was busted.

Caution: If you don't like pillow-top beds that make you nearly fall off, don't stay here. If you are freaked out by roaches, don't stay here. If you make a reservation, make sure you know whether it's the Marina Tower or the Equus, as the Equus is old and roachy, and I imagine the Marina Tower is new and roachless (but I'm not sure, obviously).

Room Tip: I was on the "first" floor, 200-rooms, noise level from road was livable, but there were r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Allison G
Allison G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are sorry to hear that it was not enjoyable. We are apologetic for such a negative experience, and certainly do not consider this the norm. To address some of your concerns, we hope that in the future you will let a team member know that you are unhappy, and we would gladly move you rooms, or provide extra services and assistance in order to avoid any inconvenience to you.

As our guest, you are our priority. We provide an experience, not just a room for the night. It is a very uncommon occurrence that there are any issues with insects of any kind. In any case, we would address the matter immediately, as this is not something that a guest in any hotel should experience.

We have several different room types, and would be happy to provide something on a different level if you are particularly sensitive to noise. There are many options that our team would be happy to provide in the case in which you are unhappy with your room, the noise level, or the functioning of the appliances.

We hope that you will consider our response, and invite you to return to stay with us again. We would be happy to tailor the experience to any needs or requests, as we truly strive to provide a unique experience of Hawai'i.

Mahalo for the opportunity to improve our service.

Mittagong, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Equus was pleasant. Nice room, good facilities, friendly staff.
The hotel has a pool but no one uses it as it's small and shaded by high rise buildings.
The equus is a great hotel if you want a good room for a reasonable price in Waikiki close to the beach and shops. If you see yourself wanting to lounge by the pool all day "resort style", you'll have to pay more money than here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melody B
Melody B,

Aloha and thank you for reviewing your stay at the Equus Hotel. We appreciate your feedback, and understand your comments completely. We are a boutique property, and are certainly nothing like a resort-style property. It is quite right to point out that we are not the type of property which provides a resort-like feeling with huge properties and pools, and hidden resort fees.

We strive to combine value with outstanding service and amenities. Our goal is to provide our guests with a unique experience of Hawai'i by catering to their needs on property and assist with planning and visits all over the island. With a local staff, we have a plethora of knowledge for adventures around the island. We act as a home-base, where you can re-charge your batteries after a long day around Oahu. With plush pillowtop beds, complimentary keurig coffee makers, flat screen TV's, refrigerators with freezers and complimentary wifi- we hope to preempt all of your needs at no added cost. Our pool is a great way to revitalize in a zen-like atmosphere, while you can venture across the street to either Ala Moana beach park or Waikiki Beach in search of adventure.

We appreciate your comments, and for allowing us the opportunity to share our unique nature as the only family run boutique in Waikiki. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Mahalo,

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My stay at The Equus Hotel was more then what I expected. My room was beautiful and the bed was heavenly. The one person that made my stay one to remember and an awesome stay was Linelle. Not only was she the one that up kept my room and made it spotless, But she also is The Equus Hotels concierge. I always had questions for her Friday nights when the hotel has there cocktail hour. This being my first time to Hawaii she had so much recommendations for me. I tried them all. The dinner cruise,pagoda,Leonard's bakery,Germaine's Luau and the flea market. Thank you Linelle for helping me. I give her two thumbs up, 5 star rating and a tripadvisor review.

• Stayed April 2013
Christinean,

We are pleased to hear Linelle was able to provide you with such outstanding service. Mahalo for taking the time to review your time with us, we will certainly commend her for such fine customer service. We are happy to have made a lasting impression, and provided some unique experiences during your visit. We look forward to your return!

Mahalo,

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I had the best stay at The Equus.My room was great and the best part was meeting Linelle. Excellent customer service. Thank you Linelle. We will be returning. Location is awesome. I also loved the cocktail hour .

• Stayed March 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Equus - found it in a travel book as a "lower price" option and it exceeded my expectations. It has recently been remodeled, and our room was on the top (10th) floor so we were a little further from the street noise. Breakfast was included (and was very hearty!), though it is served at a restaurant down the street. It is also very walk-able to parking, a few restaurants, and the beach. Overall I felt the room was clean, comfortable, and safe - I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate C
STEWARTVILLE
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overall a very good stay at the Equus. Found it on-line and the add/photos were not misleading at all. Beautiful room with lovely furnishings and lanai. Hotel workers, Justin and Yoshi were excellent! They went above and beyond to make our stay go well. Nice touch by having fresh pineapple juice upon check in. Would have been nice to have free, fresh brewed coffee in the morning given the price. Parking was not good; had to park across the street and pay $20/night; this was more than the other places we stayed on Oahu. Noisy downtown location and second night's stay room had issues: ants, main door and lanai door stuck and very hard to open. Staff came and addressed ants right away and sprayed.

Room Tip: On-line hotel reviews turned out to be accurate and true to what we experienced.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple