“Quaint hotel, great value.” 4 of 5 stars

The Equus Hotel
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington
“Quaint hotel, great value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I recently had a 1 week stay at the Equus Hotel. The common areas, room, pool and hot tub were very clean. The room was well appointed with a very comfortable pillow top bed. Staff were friendly and helpful, responding to requests promptly. The location was convenient. We have stayed in a number of hotels on Oahu over the years and found the Equus to be a great value.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cala12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Korean first
Lakeshore, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We went to Oahu for a family wedding & reunion. The Equus was block booked. This is a condo/hotel bulding. Not on the beach. Had to climb a number of stairs to get to the registration desk. No elevators. Not handicap accessible. This was difficult for me with a cracked hip & bad knees. No luggage carts. No help. We reserved two months in advance. We requested that our party be on the same floor ~ not. We requested a kIng size bed ~ found a queen with a mattress that looked like the Rocky Mountains. Jason on the front desk was quite attentive. He was wonderful ~ gave us keys to look at other rooms. Our room was very nice; however, we had no phone, no internet, no safe, 1 facecloth for two people, no kitchen towels or dishcloths, no ice bucket, new fridge with no ice cube trays, no iron, no ironing board, no phone or TV instructions, no area magazines, water tasted like 'hose water', toilet was not working properly (we fixed it), sheets were torn, received coffee the first day & were told we had to pay $1.00 for each day there after, did not receive shampoo or soap each day, elevators stopped working for a few hours one day & the stairs were too much to walk, no hotel shuttle, stayed away from the continental breakfast. Rene's only suggestion was to keep moving us from room to room. One room, someone had broken into the room. The lock had been jimmied ~ plate was loose & door frame damaged. The shower was moldy & smelled. This was supposed to be their best room. OMG! Other than Jason & Jennifer, who both were very helpful in listening, the staff were very rude.Their lies to the family about family created a huge rift. We are now awaiting a report from the Manager Jennifer to resolve the issues. We spent a lot of money to travel there for a family wedding & were grossly disappointed. Amenities that should be in the rooms were just not there & it just did not seem to be a concern to staff. I would never, ever recommend this place. If you are going to Hawaii, you are already spending money for a great vacation. Spend the extra few bucks & go down the street to the Rainbow Tower or the Hilton ~ they are on the beach, have great grounds, pools, restaurants, bars, entertainment & still everything is within walking distance. When in doubt, hop the trolley ~ it takes you just about anywhere. Good Luck! Wish we had known & not depended on the wedding party to book our rooms. Very bad choice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Gloria H
Hawaiian Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had fun on a mini staycation in Waikiki. We like the Equus and have used it as homebase on other occasions. The staff are so nice, the location is great, the price is good. We went to a special birthday lunch at Brasserie du Vin and were glad we did not have to drive a long way home, and could just relax in town.

Room Tip: I prefer the tower for the views and the hotel proper for the ambience.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I was blown away at how disgusting this hotel was – the building needed a lot of work to start with- seemed like it was falling apart- the service was horrid – Rene was one I had help from- told me he would call me to resolve my issue with the place and never got a call- very unprofessional if you asked me- location,location,location- the worst locations ever- it literally was right before an exit to the highway and there was construction going right in front of the building- a lot of noise throughout the night- no view of the view a lot of buildings covering each site- the hallways were dark and dimmed for some reason- it was pretty scary to even walk to the room- the elevators don’t work, its small and crammed spacing- really this was my first trip ever to Hawaii and I feel it was ruined my this hotel – I just wasn’t comfortable I was tired and ready for relaxation and totally got the different experience- literally walked around all night to find another hotel to transfer to- please make the right decision before booking with this hotel- you will regret it- honest to god- Please don’t stay at the Equus hotel- and don’t sign up for the island orientation the worst really- and waste of money- not a help- the hotel really was in bad shape seemed like it was breaking some regulations –overall my experience was not the best- automatically switched hotel that night- was horrible – for the night I was made to stay because other hotels weren’t able to check me in till the morning- the bed sheets were nasty and not cleaned, the rooms had a horrid smell to them, I was not a happy camper if you asked me- please spend the extra money to stay at a better hotel- again the reason I say that is because its where you’ll be after the long day of activities you’ll be doing- don’t ruin your stay just because you wanna save a little money- again your going to Hawaii whether its your first time or not- there should be no obstacles in your way- and sadly mine was The EQUUS HOTEL- worst place ever-

Room Tip: all rooms were horrid- please choose another hotel- no view smelly and nasty
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Abdi I
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

booked my accom back in Aug11 for my stay in Jan12, they took the deposit for my stay in Sept11, and I sent several requests to them to get a confirmation of my booking.. however 4 emails, 3 phone call and even leaving a message of their facebook wall from the hotel Manager, I had no choice but to cancel.. very unprofessional

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kyllie G
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Rene Kahumoku is absolutely fantastic. There is not one thing that is asked of her that she will not go out of her way. If there is not a way she will find one. As soon as he answers the phone you can just feel the warmth of Aloha and then and there you know that you will be taken care of. This may not be a 5 star but the treatment by Rene and her staff truly makes up for one

Room Tip: Ask for Rene and let her know your request
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Delton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I called to speak with Rene and I feel like we are best friends already. He was so helpful and such a pleasure to talk with, He is so resourceful and is so willing to take the time and answer all of my questions. I could not believe how patient he was and how much of a pleasure he is to speak too, I cannot wait to meet Rene and to be in Hawaii again, I want to come there tomorrow and stay there forever. Thank you for the great customer service Rene and I cannot wait to come and celebrate your birthday when I get there..,,,,, Hope you have a great day and as always thank you and Ahola!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family