“Beware of this hotel...its a dump...without hot water!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Big Surf

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Big Surf
You added Big Surf to your Saves list
Sydney, Australia
“Beware of this hotel...its a dump...without hot water!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

We recently stayed in Apt 1401 at a cost of US$365 per night, for 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms this sounds reasonable. Well its not! There was very little hot water only for about 2 minutes if you were lucky. We had no blankets and had to buy some, left receipts to be reimbursed, but no luck with that. The hall light would not turn off so stayed on all day/night. It was not clean, when lounge was moved fluff and dirt behind it. Not enough pots/pans/cooking utensils to make a decent meal. Took owner/manager 4 weeks to refund bond, after apartment was left spotless. Also dodgy part of town, pimps and pros all around the area including in the building.There is NO internet..dont get sucked into this place....Beware!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Michelle M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

First off this is not a 5 diamond hotel. What it is is a great deal especially if you're on a budget. Huge rooms w/ 2 queens beds, a sleeper/sofa and 2 cots. I stayed several times with friends and we used it as it was supposed to be - a spacious crash pad. Walking distance to the strip and beaches. FULL kitchen so don't expect room service. Balconies overlooking both the harbor on one side and the mountains on the other. Right across the street from Ala Moana Park. It is outdated yes and limited amenities. But it was only $50 a night. You can't beat the price especially if you have a group. So if you're looking for all the bells and whistles, the Hilton is just around the corner. If you're wanting a crash pad and to actually go out and see the sights, then this is a perfect one.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank brzzi26
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

Only good thing was the location.The unit was dirty and very run down.We were there for 2 weeks and no cleaning was done,no extra linens provided.We had to go to laundermat and pay to have the linens cleaned,this was pricey.I dont know who is in charge of this place but they are obviously not very interested in keeping clients.We had to pay a cleanong fee when we left and I wonder what they do with that money as we had to clean the place as best we could when we arrived.Everything was filthy!!!We had 2 babies with us and for sure we could not let them crawl on floors.
Will never prepay total cost again and never stay at Big Surf but will definitelt return to Hawaii

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank ducy47
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

I stayed here with friends who were visiting Hawaii and were traveling on a budget. My friends chose the hotel because of the price and access to surf spots and I have to say it definitely delivered. It didn't have the amenities of a bigger hotel but then again it didn't have the same price tag either. We also saved money by shopping at a grocery store nearby and cooking in the kitchen in our room.
The lady at the front desk was very helpful and gave us a newly remodeled room which was nice because for the price we weren't expecting anything fancy. If you're looking to save money on a room so you have more to spend in Hawaii or just want a place with a great location to keep your stuff while you're shopping or at the beach all day then I would recommend the Big Surf for sure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank MikeJax
san francisco, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

We stayed there one month with my wife. I have to say the price was pretty good for Waikiki, but please, go somewhere else, here is why :

location is good, thats it !
the rooms are terrible, feels like you ve just time travelled to 1955, it smells bad, stains everywhere. in a month, our room was "cleaned" three times !!!!!! they even charged us $70 cleaning deposit when we left.

the management doesnt exist. Seriously this place is awful, totally ghetto, DO NOT GO THERE

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank corsuman
Earth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

i do hate saying this, because i know it is not all the long & helpful of a review, but, let me get right to the point. Dump. Cheap, sure, so if you only care bout one thing (and if you do, your criteria are off) and that only one thing is money, ok, go here. if not, keep looking.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank Jason S
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

I've stayed here once before. It's a great place if you don't want to spend tons of money on a super expensive luxury resort.

I was here last year and they've made some updates - cute lanai in front, internet access room. The ladies in the front were just as sweet and remembered me! Some people that have given this place not so great reviews are probably just snobby tourists. One of my favorite things I like about this place is that it's family owned! So many big hotels and corporate buyers (i.e. Trump!) have bought so much of Hawaii, really making it un-Hawaii. This place employs only local people and I'm happy to spend my money on mom and pop hotels.

I love the breeziness of the hallways, and the location is a huge plus. It's out of the craziness of Waikiki, has great views of the harbor and ocean, and is a hop skip to Ala Moana, where I go shopping. You'll save a lot of money by avoiding shopping in Waikiki and do it at Ala Moana.

I found this place to be clean and am very happy I didn't blow a lot of money just somewhere I would hang out and sleep when I could be spending my money on snorkeling, eating out, and shopping.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends