“Saved me money”
Review of Big Surf

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Big Surf
Hawaii
“Saved me money”
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We come in from the outer islands twice a month. This hotel suits our purposes very well. It helps us to save money, so that we can spend it more on the family and medical bills. This is a no frills or pampering type of hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for everyone. If you're coming here to spend time in your hotel room and relax then this is not for you. If you are looking to spend more time on the beach, shopping and sightseeing, and will only use the room to shower and sleep, this could be for you. Not to mention the money you will be saving. This is more for the traveller on a budget. There is no phone in the rooms, so no room deposit is necessary since you are paying in full up front. However, because they give you actual keys, there is a key deposit that this refundable when you turn in the keys. And to think, for cost of a hostel, I get my own private room, not to mention I'm close to the mall and beach.

• Liked — Cost and location.
  • Disliked — no air condition
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
tempe, AZ
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I make it out to Oahu about once a year, and I always stay at the Big Surf. I get a beautiful view of the ocean, and it takes only minutes to walk to Waikiki and Ala Moana beaches, restaurants, clubs, and bus stops to everywhere else I want to be throughout my stay. When I rent a car, they offer me parking, which is a coveted luxury in Honolulu! The staff is so friendly and unobtrusive, the rooms are always clean, and I feel right at home. I recommend a suite on one of the top floors. Thanks, Big Surf, for always making sure I feel comfortable and welcome!

• Liked — location, location, location!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Libra9
chicago, IL
Reviewed July 5, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel although it was only a few days. The service was great, and they even welcomed me with chocolates in my room! I liked the location of the hotel because it is so close to Ala Moana Center yet still in Waikiki. Plus the view of the harbor is fantastic. It's a perfect place for people to travel to Hawaii and save money or for younger people. My room was so spacious and very clean. I would come back here definitely. I saved a lot of money and was able to spend it on activities I did on my trip.

• Liked — location and view!
  • Disliked — older hotel, but building set-up made for great breezes
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
maui
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I stayed at the Big Surf recently and I can say, it was money well spent. At first I was worried about the bad reviews but I came to find out they were wrong. The elevator looked brand new and was quite quick, my room was clean, I had new towels and sheets everyday, and the family who works downstairs is really nice. There were a few shady characters, I noticed, who tried to rent rooms when me and my cousin where checking in, but the management handled them very well. I guess this happens a lot since the price is so cheap. This hotel is much safer and more secure than staying at a hostel or at the YMCA and we had our own bathroom, balcony, and kitchen so we could cook our meals. We did have to ask the front desk to provide what we lacked in our kitchen, but it was no problem. Frankly, we'd definitely come back here again. THANKS, BIG SURF! :)

• Liked — The employees are very trust worthy and nice. And you can't beat the price. It's awesome.
  • Disliked — There are a lot of young people, which is cool. Some jerks, though. Very rude and demanding to everyone, even the staff!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
robynhood_73
Reviewed April 27, 2008

This Hotel, if you can call it that is very rude at the manager position. To any military they will not allow you to stay. The manager will constantly come up with an excuse on why they are overbooked all the sudden. They are very rude and charge you extra money if someone goes to visit you in the room. I personally stayed there once, but when the female manager found out i am a marine she did not allow me to keep the room another day. Over all it is a Poorly ran hotel with poor managment and even poorer accomodations

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Staff (manager)
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank robynhood_73

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed February 23, 2008

I have stayed in some very "rustic" accommodations in my time. In fact, I prefer to skimp on the accommodations so that I can splurge on other things. As a result, I have stayed in some real dives. However, I have NEVER before checked into a hotel room, signed all the payments and deposits, and then been told that the room where I was staying (that I had booked weeks ago) DID NOT HAVE A BED!!!! Instead, there was the most uncomfortable and unclean fold out couch I have ever seen. Did I mention that the couch, when folded out, was BROKEN?

I stayed there a day and a half, and there were many other things that were substandard, but the broken foldout in lieu of a bed is the most notable.

Stay here ONLY if you MUST.

• Liked — they refund your money when you check out early (obviously it happens a lot)
  • Disliked — dirty, broken foldout couch in lieu of a bed
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
15 Thank PERIPATETIC N
Tennessee
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Maybe the cheapest place in Honolulu but it met my needs: clean sheets etc. and a hot shower, but all I needed was a place to sleep. Fridge, microwave, coffee maker and hotplate were available in the room. Good location 5 minutes from beach and mall at Ala Moana Blvd, parking for my rental car. Not a place for a family with kids vacation.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — ambience
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo